Subaru WRX Forum banner

WORX Tuning BOV

11K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  REXronald 
#1 ·
finally got this darn thing, took awhile on back order... but appears to have been well worth the waite and the high $$ cost.

first impressions are great. This valve really incorporates all the bells and whistles i wanted in a BOV.

It works exactly as advertised... Blows off completely to recirculation below 5psi, keeping your air flow in concert with your MAF sensor when it really needs to be. And above 5 psi easily set it to blow off however you want... 100% atmosphere, 75/25 split, 50/50 split, 25/75% split, to 100% recirculation... I've so far tested it at a 50/50 split, appears to work great, and at a 100% atmosphere blow off. Not a single backfire yet, no hard hesitations when backing down the throttle from even a WOT point... The key here is the always 100% blowoff recirc below 5psi... and the cool thing is, you can even here it hissing when blowing off to full recirc, much more so than the stocker....

don't think for a minute that it sounds anywhere near the type of sound the TXS RFL makes, but for the compromise of great and correct performance, its WAY better!

It sounds very much like the HKS SSQV... which is good enough for me sound-wise. And appears to do just a fine job of holding 22psi with no issues... i have it on the middle tension setting. i was told by WORX that it has been bench flowed up to 40psi w/out leak...

product review so far gives it 5 out of 5 stars in my book... finally a valve that does it all in once little package... looks nice too, but not quite as cool looking as the RFL of course... price is a bit steeper than RFL, but again, well worth it.

as always, my .02

and while we are hitting innovation on the forums today... appears WORX tuning has developed an original WRX-specific product that gets the job done, and then some, while most others that i've seen and experimented with, do not. interesting how something as minimal as a piston-valve can have such a large affect on the day-to-day driveability of your car. Thanks WORX, its about time.

See less See more
#3 ·
bov

went straight to the site...

www.worxtuning.com

their site isn't great or very user friendly, but it worked well enough to read the logic behind the valve and place the order. And i was so desparate that i had to try it. my thought was, if it works have as well as adverstised, it might be the one.

It just seemed to address and propose sufficient cures to all the issues i was having with other aftermarket valves. Once recieved and after looking at it for quite a little while and enjoying the fine detail of its construction and innovation, (and how/why it was able to do the things it does) i thought, wow, why didn't i think of that? hehe... jk.

Its a clever little device in its operation. definitely no longer the simple valve/piston/spring combo, although it is an advanced function of that simple design.

#7 ·
Dude take that beast and put it on the weakest setting and see how you like it. This is how I run mine and I have ben running mine for almost a year now. This is what I found that a groupe of people were doing an nasioc and I tried it then all of a sudden it sounds way better then the rfl. Try it trust me.

#8 ·
Rexronald nice to see a good review. My car is basically stock and i want a blow off valve , would u recomend the workx for me? The only other one that ive seen when searching that work well with stock rexes was the GFB piece. Have also been hearing about the greddy type- s. Of the 3 what should i get? my present and future mods: intake silencer delete, exhaust, up/down pipe and accessport. I want a good sounding bov with no daily drivabilty issues. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

#9 ·
ok

awdturbo04 said:
Dude take that beast and put it on the weakest setting and see how you like it. This is how I run mine and I have ben running mine for almost a year now. This is what I found that a groupe of people were doing an nasioc and I tried it then all of a sudden it sounds way better then the rfl. Try it trust me.
Well i will certainly try that out. But what turbo setup are those people running? i'm thinking for sure it will leak in my situation since i'm running at 22 psi daily now. And if the stocker is leaking at 19-20psi (very firm spring on the stocker), i'm thinking the weakest setting will leak for sure on the WORX at 22psi... but nonetheless, i'll try just about anything once....

I'm not displeased with the sound currently, and the directions do indicate the valve will continue to get louder during the 1000 mile break-in period... piston has to seat to the cylinder wall). It certainly sounds more like a traditional atmospheric BOV than the RFL. The RFL just sounds unlike any valve i've heard before except for 18 wheeler BOV's... Other people could always hear it when driving behind me at speed with their windows up, now that is loud.

As for 'could WORX tuning valve be used on a stock WRX?'... my guestimate answer would be absolutely yes you could use it with success and normal vehicle operation... I do not have any first hand experience with the valve on a stock WRX, but logic tells me it will work just fine. After all, it maintains all the characteristics of the stock valve if you so desire (ie... full recirculation dump throughout the psi range if so desired)... and since it appears to 'know' when to dump to recirculation (at low psi's) and then you can adjust however you like the high psi dump--- atmospheric or recirculation, or any degree of both that you so desire, then it should logically work just fine with a stock wrx, and will also set the stage for future mods since you probably will end up like most of the rest of us and do mods some day that you never actually thought you would end up doing.

worth noting... to a stock wrx, there is zero need to upgrade the stock BOV, and you are truly modifying in gest and only asking for trouble where no trouble need be sought out... in other words... you just don't need it, and it won't enhance your cars performance... but if you've been reading around this forum at all, you may already know that, and you just simply desire a cool sounding BOV for you WRX and are wise to do some research first and make sure you get a valve that not only sounds good, but does not mess up the day-to-day function of your car.

So if you respect my opinion, its my belief that you certainly won't be going wrong by purchasing the WORX tuning BOV. you will go wrong if you purchase the TXS RFL, and i can't truly speak to the others, but logic tells me you'll have trouble with any valve that vents small amounts of boost (ie... 5 psi or less) to the atmosphere.

my .02, hope it helps.

#10 ·
I used to run my worx on the stock turbo and everything seemed to work fine. Now i am running the vf-22 and on occasion (an accidental tunning mistake) i ran the bov on 24 psi and i do not think that it leaked. As for your comont just to let you know the last time i checked 18 wheelers dont have blow off valves they have anti surge ports inside of there compressor housing that make the need for a blow off valve obsalete. This is why the sound of there turbos spooling is so loud. Please correct me if im wrong, i love disscussing things like this and would like some info frome someone more knowldgeable then me. I agree completley on what you said about the turboxs bov.

#12 ·
well...

you could certainly be correct, i don't know much of 18 wheelers so i'm sure that may be the case... they spool damn loud. and i may just be confusing that blow off sound with the air brakes...

allow me to rephrase, the RFL sounds something like you might expect from an 18 wheeler if it had a BOV... balls loud.

:)

#15 ·
Important update...

I was at Godspeed yesterday, we pressure tested my car's system...

The Worx tuning BOV is leaking... in a strange way... the outer housing (the anodized blue part at the base) is free to spin around i believe for ease of mounting, and this part lies against the inner housing of the valve that has cutouts for the boost to vent either into the recirc hose, or the thru the atmospheric holes. the base of this blue anodized part is a metered air leak to the recirc hose. It leaks right between the base and the mounting flange... bad design i believe... someone at WORX should have identified this and they should have gasketed these fittings in some way... rubber/paper/whatever... So what happens is that the intake is able to pull in un-metered air through this leak, down thru the re-circ hose, and into the turbo inlet... since this air does not pass the MAF, it is un-metered and creates a lean condition...

We initially thought it was the valve piston itself that was leaking, but i believe that not to be the case at this point. I will soon be testing the valve for leak and only the valve itself, to ensure it is not a source of leak.... if it were, that would be a boost leak and an un-metered air leak... i couldn't figure out yesterday how that piston was leaking since i took the spring and head of the bov out and pushed the valve closed with my finger, we pressurized the system with a n air-compressor, and despite that i was holding the valve closed hard, the air was still leaking between the flange and the housing... (how was air getting to that point?) We thought it must be leaking past the piston seal and out past the flange, but since we pressurized the system at the beginning of the intake, prior to the turbo, the pressure was running up the recirc hose, and down between the inner and outer BOV housings and then out between the flange and the outhousing, which does not seal properly against the flange... I'm going to fix it by using JB Weld to creat a 'gasket-like' seal between the outer housing and the flange, then the issue should be fixed as long as the valve piston itself isn't leaking were it sits on the base of the inner housing...

But the real moral of the story is here... for that much $$$... it shouldn't leak at all anywhere in the valve and design logic should have told someone at WORX that this would be a source of un-metered air leak. The darn thing of it is, the valve is brilliant design, works just like it should, but someone forgot a simple thought of putting a gasket between to metal parts that join together that need to have a good seal, duh? Just like Subaru puts a gasket between the BOV itself and the intercooler or pipe that it connects to. metal on metal doesn't usually creates a good airtight seal.

want it done right, do it yourself. And go to Godspeed for a little guidance along the way.

#17 ·
uh, yeah...

awdturbo04 said:
i dont want my bov leaking

none of us do, what's your point? If you don't mind my asking.

I was gonna call WORX and send it back, but i do like the overall look and function of the valve, so if i can just seal up the outer housing with a little silicon or JB Weld, then that's what I'll do. just that for the money, i shouldn't have to... and not mention, diagnosing the problem was a PITA.

#18 ·
REXronald said:
none of us do, what's your point? If you don't mind my asking.

I was gonna call WORX and send it back, but i do like the overall look and function of the valve, so if i can just seal up the outer housing with a little silicon or JB Weld, then that's what I'll do. just that for the money, i shouldn't have to... and not mention, diagnosing the problem was a PITA.
Have you talked to WORX about the issue? I've read alot of feedback about them and they have great customer service. My point being is that if there is an issue with their BOV i'm sure they would like to know and fix it if possible. Especailly since it could be just that a gasket is needed. Easy fix. Search WORX on NASIOC and you'll find a lenghty thread about an issure they had and fixed. Seemed to make all the consumers happy.

#19 ·
alright

well,

anyone with the valve please weigh in here... did your vavle come with any gaskets???

my has none. just metal on metal junctures... doesn't make a lot of sense to me?

i guess i should call them and see, but what's the point at this point, Quick dry JB Weld will accomplish the exact same results as a gasket and i can do it in about 5 minutes...

i'll try calling today to see what's up with that and post my results.

R

#20 ·

Spoke to mike or was it mark? at worx...

says they've never experienced this problem, and on original design they had thought they was include a rubber o-ring under the inner housing which would not have fixed the prob i have, but he said it was not necessary...

he said send it back for replacement if i wish because they will stand behind their products... but i told him the prob, recommended they check a couple of their valves their, and that i'm planning on the easy route of fixing the leak myself to save for time and $$$ shipping.

IMO, it should have a gasket, its supposed to spin freely at the base from the flange, so naturally there would be a small gap between those two surfaces, and naturally air could leak out from under there, sneak its way up to the recirculate hole, and into the turbo system post-MAF, pre-turbo. and that's unmetered air, bottom line.

#22 ·
yep

i will... i'm willing to offer a guarantee the leak will be fixed.

i've stared at and observed the valve very closely for some time now... i've tried this that and the other ruling out all possible leaking points, identifying the actual leaking point, and then identifying why its leaking from this point and how.

Since i've narrowed to only one possibilyt, sealing this will take care of the issue. but it will eliminate the ability of the outer housing to rotate freely about the base... so the glueing/sealing must be with the recirc vent in just the right place the first time around... or fitment will become an issue.

but i'll let ya know, because until its done and i've proven it not to leak, i won't put 100% confidence in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.