Subaru WRX Forum banner

Where to get a good turbo???

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  dumdum 
#1 ·
Ok so i have made my mind up and im going to get a evo 16g turbo. Just becasue i have head better things about the 16g then getting the stock STI turbo. but my question is where a good place to get one. I have been looking at ebay but I don't know if i can trust that. has there been anyone that has a got a 16g from ebay or somewhere else that has been good??? thanks for the help

#4 ·
blouchturbo.com. Unless you are going to get a used one for substantially less, I'd want the protection of a waranty when spending close to a grand.

Also, I don't want to patronize you, but have you done the research? This isn't exactly a quick bolt on. You don't have the supporting mods yet. Those are going to run you another grand.

You're faster than me Z

#7 ·
None of the turbo options are must haves. There are other mod requirements though:

-Catless Uppipe
-Bellmouth downpipe (catted or uncatted)
-650cc or larger injectors
-Larger intercooler, preferably a large TMIC like perrin or APS for the E3-16G
-Fuel Pump
-Intake silencer delete of some form (SPT/Cobb intake, simple elbow delete also works)
-A good tune. (If you plan to use a stock AP map, you must match the map EXACTLY which means a SMALL 16G and 565cc injectors)

#11 ·
The intercooler is arguable, but I don't have any personal experience with it. The STI topmount is pretty big. My tuner reccomends sticking with the STI IC until you are pushing past the 400 mark, I believe.

#12 ·
turmic said:
Heh, the love for Blouch seems to be spreading like wildfire.
I prefer Forced Performance (FP) to Blouch. There, I said it. Course, they're both good companies.
The intercooler is arguable, but I don't have any personal experience with it. The STI topmount is pretty big. My tuner reccomends sticking with the STI IC until you are pushing past the 400 mark, I believe.
I disagree strongly, and I have proof! My own car ;)

You can see from my dyno graph pretty clearly. My car had to scale back the boost. This was due to the air getting too hot into the engine. I was intercooler limited on a small 16G and a STi TMIC. Granted my EJ257 flows more than the EJ205 but he's also talking about a larger compressor than I have. He will be intercooler limited with an STi top mount.

#15 ·
You didn't read what I said. If you get an E3-16G compressor, you aught to get larger injectors than that. The problem is that requires a custom tune. Get:

650cc or larger injectors
whatever compressor 16G you want
custom tune

OR

565cc injectors EXACTLY
small "standard" 16G compressor
use the cobb AP map

#17 ·
Blouch & Deadbolt > FP

Blouch has much better customer service. When I was getting my 18G I emailed all 3 companies and called them.

Blouch and DB both had exceptional and knowledgeable customer service. FP never responded to my email or called me back. That did it for me. I ended up going with a Blouch 18G 8cm and couldn't be happier.

I have also only heard good things about Blouch & DB but there have been many complaints about FP's customer service. Product wise (quality and fitment) all 3 should be about the same. However, from the turbos I have seen (FP and Blouch)...Blouch tend to be a little prettier and have a better PnP & coat job. Additionally, there seems to be a higher failure rate with FP turbos on the forums, but that could just because they cost a little less so more people are using them.

#18 ·
The FP Evo 16G is one I was looking at.Comparing it to Blouch's EVO 16G it is $100 cheaper and comes with a 1bar (14.5psi) wastegate actuator.Blouch's come with a 9psi wastegate actuator but you can upgrade for $120.So right of the bat thats a $200 difference.A higher wastegate spring pressure in the actuator will allow for better spool up and boost control when your trying to run 18-20psi on those turbos.Plus FP turbos ship with up-pipe and downpipe turbo gaskits as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.