Whats so bad about CAI's? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-16-2007, 06:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bosh is an unknown
Whats so bad about CAI's?

My car is basically stock, i just ordered a 3" TBE, STS, and solid motor/trans mounts and i want to order a CAI. I read the article on them but i dont understand why it will be such a big deal on a basicly stock car? I want the sound and throttle response increase, my next mod will be UTEC by the way. But I would like to get the CAI before then. It is a much cheaper mod. than UTEC.

Thanks,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

GeekWRX is an unknown
The CAI arguement explained...

Basically, the design of the pipe causes turbulence and disrupts the MAF sensor, causing lean conditions. Generally this is a mod you get after you've upgraded your fuel system.

Drivin' it like I still owe alot of payments...
#3 Old 03-16-2007, 06:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bosh is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekWRX View Post
The CAI arguement explained...

Basically, the design of the pipe causes turbulence and disrupts the MAF sensor, causing lean conditions. Generally this is a mod you get after you've upgraded your fuel system.

Ok is there still the throttle response on the short ram intakes? Is there any kind of power increase? Who makes the best SRI? Id rather keep it up high and in te engine bay anyway ### dirt roads are fun lol!
#4 Old 03-16-2007, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
SPT and K&N make the best intakes plus perrin. I herd cobb worked pretty well but that I dont know.
#5 Old 03-16-2007, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
Intakes do NOTHING AT ALL for power. Save the cash.
#6 Old 03-16-2007, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
Don't buy a CAI. The factory intake box is good for up to 400 crank horsepower give or take. If you want improved sound, buy an uppipe/TBE and get some engine management.

Here's a good writeup on intakes in general.

http://###############/forums/viewtopic.php?t=312

- Sean
- 2005 WRX Wagon, Stage 2
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#7 Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

JiveMasterT is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05WRX View Post
SPT and K&N make the best intakes plus perrin. I herd cobb worked pretty well but that I dont know.
Perrin intakes are junk. They cause this "odd spot" when you're trying to tune the car. I've seen it on more than one occasion and I can think of more than one tuner who would strongly advise you to not use the Perrin intake.

That being said, the K&N Typhoon, Cobb intake, and SPT intake will work fine.

...what kind of CAI did you get? Unless it was like Buschur's or APS you're probably going to start throwing CELs becuase the air coming into the intake pipe will be hitting the MAF at an angle that it is not calibrated for. This can cause varying lean/rich situations which can result in check engine lights for various things, misfires, and ultimately a blown motor if ignored.

CAIs are fine, you'll need to be tuned for it though. Unless you're making bigger power you're not going to see many gains from any intake though.

Patrick - 2007 STi Limited
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#8 Old 03-17-2007, 09:09 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveMasterT View Post

CAIs are junk..
Fixed it for ya!You cannot tune out turbulence.CAI and SRI are two different things.I assume you meant SRI.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#9 Old 03-17-2007, 10:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxroberts is an unknown
i had a cai on my brand new wrx in less than a month and ive never had a cel or any problems. it really lets you hear the turbo spool and the k&n typhoon cai i have has proven power gains that i thought i could feel, not to mention it sounds really nice.
#10 Old 03-17-2007, 10:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

GeekWRX is an unknown
IMO, if you absolutely HAVE to do something to your intake, just get a drop-in filter. $60 bucks for a lifetime warrantied K&N, supposed to increase airflow (I haven't got one however).

Drivin' it like I still owe alot of payments...
#11 Old 03-17-2007, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Fixed it for ya!You cannot tune out turbulence.CAI and SRI are two different things.I assume you meant SRI.
It really depends on the CAI though... you may have to have your tuner rescale the MAF tables. If the intake is generating the turbulence then it's just no good at all... if the readings are bad because the MAF table needs to be scaled for the intake then that's a whole different issue. 2 different issues, same end result

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#12 Old 03-17-2007, 11:16 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
It really depends on the CAI though... you may have to have your tuner rescale the MAF tables. If the intake is generating the turbulence then it's just no good at all... if the readings are bad because the MAF table needs to be scaled for the intake then that's a whole different issue. 2 different issues, same end result
Thats true but i don't know of any CAI that hasn't had turbulence issues,including the APS.

#13 Old 03-17-2007, 11:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Thats true but i don't know of any CAI that hasn't had turbulence issues,including the APS.
Really? I've heard of people having good results with the 65mm APS even without tuning. The buschur intake is supposed to be ok on the factory tune as well. I'm not trying to discredit you, I'm just saying I've heard of several instances where the car didn't really mind it.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#14 Old 03-17-2007, 04:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bosh is an unknown
Ok kinda off topic but where does the turbo inlet hose go? Could i use one of them with an sri?

thanks,
-Josh
#15 Old 03-17-2007, 06:35 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Really? I've heard of people having good results with the 65mm APS even without tuning. The buschur intake is supposed to be ok on the factory tune as well. I'm not trying to discredit you, I'm just saying I've heard of several instances where the car didn't really mind it.
The APS is definatly one of the better designed ones but the problem is that it's a cast piece.Casting tolerences and defects can be problematic and are generally common unfortunaly.I doubt APS does their casting in house but i could be wrong,so i don't know how they deal with their quality control.I know some people have had problems with them but Subaru ECU's are sensitive/temperamatic in gerneral. The Prodrive one seems to have tried to address the turbulence issue.