whats that noise? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

bapaul is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to bapaul Send a message via Yahoo to bapaul
whats that noise?

ok... maybe i'm just retarded, maybe there's nothing wrong but here goes...

first off i'm running a VF-22, BPM TBE, K&N Intake, Hyperflow FMIC, and have a TXS-RFL BOV (getting replaced soon due to MAF problems).

Now, when there's blow off and the "ppsshhhhh" sound goes, it's usually not just that. It's more of a "fffttt--tttt--ppsshhhh" and sometimes if i stomp the gas then shift there's no blow-off at all just the "fttt-ttt--ttttt--tt" but sometimes it's just the loud "pssshhhhh" and i'm not exactly sure what causes it to vary between them but i'm assuming it's not so much a good thing.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to which bov they prefer, opinions are welcome. I don't really like the whistling on the hks ssq, so thats out. I do however like the whooshing pssshhh sound of the rfl, or greddy rs, but i don't know how reliable the greddy is.

Oh look I'm sideways...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-04-2008, 05:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
It might be compressor surge, but it's hard to tell from just reading the sounds on the screen...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
Sounds bad bro- I had the same problem on an SR20 with an RFL BOV. It turned out the BOV spring was sticking and the air got dumped back into the motor causing compressor surge. It was really a piece of sh** BOV. Remove it immediately before it breaks your turbo.

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
#4 Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Shane818 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Shane818
try adjusting the number of shims in the RFL. I had to adjust them in my DSM to get a better response engine wise.

But i do have a question. I am stock right now on the WRX except for a catback. i hear the BOV when i let off the throttle. It is a stock BOV. i live in new england and its 0* outside. there is no temperature. Could the spring be getting stuck on the stock BOV causing this? Is this going to be a problem and is there anything i can do? reccommends for an upgrade?
#5 Old 01-04-2008, 10:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

GoWRXGo is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to GoWRXGo Send a message via Yahoo to GoWRXGo
I run a Greddy Type-RS on my daily driver and it works great! Just make sure that you adjust the spring tension for the boost that you are running (ie. Softer for lower boost level's and Harder for higher boost levels).

#6 Old 01-05-2008, 08:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane818 View Post
But i do have a question. I am stock right now on the WRX except for a catback. i hear the BOV when i let off the throttle. It is a stock BOV. i live in new england and its 0* outside. there is no temperature. Could the spring be getting stuck on the stock BOV causing this? Is this going to be a problem and is there anything i can do? reccommends for an upgrade?

I don't completely understand the issue- if you are hearing boost getting dumped, there is no problem...

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
#7 Old 01-05-2008, 09:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

bapaul is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to bapaul Send a message via Yahoo to bapaul
well i talked to the guys at the shop thats been working on my car (on and off) for the last few months and they said it was compressor surge. The Greddy Type-RS BOV (recirc) is getting put on today or sometime over the weekend. So that problem will be fixed.

There's also a problem with the battery/relay and something in the electricals... I'll go to turn my car on and it'll just make a clicking noise and then all power is gone, like the battery is disconnected. Also when i get out of my car i get shocked, now not like normal static discharge kind of shock, i'm talking about a crack and sometimes arcs from the car to my hand! All i do to fix the problem is fiddle with the positive (red) connection on the battery and it'll return power...

anyone?

Oh look I'm sideways...
#8 Old 01-06-2008, 07:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Check your ground wire- it should go from the negative side of the battery to the chassis. It may be disconnected.

D-Rock
Under constant pressure