Whats the difference between these 3 16G turbos? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-15-2008, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Question Whats the difference between these 3 16G turbos?

On this site, i was looking at the 16G turbo upgrade, and i got confused at why there is three different types of the 16g...
Turbo-Kits.com - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 Subaru WRX & STi Turbo Kits & Turbo Upgrades
Thanks

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
different combinations of housings and compressors which then give different max flow capabilities and therefor different power and spool characteristics.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
oh ok, so will it make a big difference between any of these three? And in your guy's opinion, which one is the best? btw- i'm going for a quick spooling, not really needing anything over 300whp potential

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#4 Old 02-15-2008, 05:41 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Big EVO III 16G, check out blouchturbo.com, they have a little write up about each one.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Not to rob this thread but will a Forced Performance FP16G be worth it along with a 18G 605CFM Compressor Wheel instead of the EVO3 16G 575CFM wheel?
#6 Old 02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
OP: the evo3 16g or 18g will suit your needs

Usually the only difference between the 16gs is the size of the compressor wheel. The order (from smallest to biggest) goes: 16g, big 16g, evo3 16g/super 16g

Strider: a 16g with an 18g compressor wheel is no longer a 16g... it becomes an 18g at that point. the "xxg" naming convention only indicates the size of the compressor wheel. There are other indicators for turbine whee/turbine housing/comp housing sizing. "Worth it" is completely relative. The evo3 16g should spool slightly earlier than an 18g, but make a bit less power. Just to give you an idea, I hit 20 psi by 3250 rpm in 5th (which is about as tall as your 4th) with my 18g/ej207.
#7 Old 02-18-2008, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Thanks! I understand.
#8 Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
ok so i checked out that blouchturbo.com place and they seem cool, but i was wondering what the heck is all that add-on stuff? is it worth the price to port turbine housing, upgrade actuator, get braided stainless steel WRX line and Jet hot coated "Silver" or "black" turbine housing? Besides, i honestly have no idea what all that stuff is...
And apparently, you can get a polished compressor housing and turbine housing.. obviously the polish is only cosmetic...

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#9 Old 02-20-2008, 02:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Ported is to create more room/less restrictions of airflow, and the polish is not just cosmetic. Air will flow easier and faster over a perfectly smooth surface rather than a rough one. The upgraded actuator is self explanatory. The SS lines are just more durable than rubber. And I think the jet coating is partially cosmetic/partially for a smooth surface similar to the polish.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#10 Old 02-20-2008, 02:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Longshot is right about the port and polishing. It's basically done to help the turbo spool faster/sooner. That's true for both the turbine and compressor housings.

The upgraded actuator is for higher-boost applications. The rule to thumb is the spring pressure should = ~1/2 of max target boost pressure.

The braided steel line is for longevity and makes for an easier install. You'll see what I mean when you take off your turbo. You actually have to bend the stock feed line back and forth every time you remove/install a turbo. Too much bending = snap! there goes the stock feed line. I hear braided lines can also flow more oil, so better lubrication for your turbo. Not to mention it looks pretty dang cool.

The jet-hot coating is for heat retention. The coating helps keep all the heat inside the turbo. There are 3 reasons why you'd want to do this:
1. Spool: if the housing is hotter, the exhaust gases are hotter. Hotter gases move more quickly and take up more space than cooler gases, which helps spool the turbo more quickly.
2. Underhood temps: If you still have a tmic, you'll notice it's situated RIGHT ABOVE the turbo. This means the hotter the turbo, the hotter the intercooler. Hot intercooler = very bad.
3. Rust: duh, the coating helps prevent rust.
#11 Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
Longshot is right about the port and polishing. It's basically done to help the turbo spool faster/sooner. That's true for both the turbine and compressor housings.

The upgraded actuator is for higher-boost applications. The rule to thumb is the spring pressure should = ~1/2 of max target boost pressure.

The braided steel line is for longevity and makes for an easier install. You'll see what I mean when you take off your turbo. You actually have to bend the stock feed line back and forth every time you remove/install a turbo. Too much bending = snap! there goes the stock feed line. I hear braided lines can also flow more oil, so better lubrication for your turbo. Not to mention it looks pretty dang cool.

The jet-hot coating is for heat retention. The coating helps keep all the heat inside the turbo. There are 3 reasons why you'd want to do this:
1. Spool: if the housing is hotter, the exhaust gases are hotter. Hotter gases move more quickly and take up more space than cooler gases, which helps spool the turbo more quickly.
2. Underhood temps: If you still have a tmic, you'll notice it's situated RIGHT ABOVE the turbo. This means the hotter the turbo, the hotter the intercooler. Hot intercooler = very bad.
3. Rust: duh, the coating helps prevent rust.
Good explanation, especially with the thermal coating, I should've though of that. Oh well it was said, n/j WReXd.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#12 Old 02-20-2008, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
ok, so if i wanted my turbo to be good, then i would get all the port/polishing, jet-hot coating, SS line... But what about the actuator, i don't plan on raising the boost very much, MAYBE 5psi more, not trying to blow stuff up here... So with the stock/slightly higher boost levels, would i need that upgrade actuator?

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#13 Old 02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

I don't believe so subeast.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#14 Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
ok cool thanks... I am still a little on either side between the EVO III Big 16G and the normal 16G... The EVO III 16G is a couple hundred dollars more, and has more power potential, but what i want is something that will get me to at least 270whp... I don't need anything more than that... And i want a turbo with fast spool, will the EVO III 16G still give me fast spool cmpared to other turbos?

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#15 Old 02-20-2008, 05:42 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
sorry to be an ass but it's really not an easy question to answer. Spool can be faster or slower depending on choices you make but defining what is "fast" and what is "slow" is much harder.

There is not much difference in spool time between a small 16G (or "normal") and an E3-16G. The top end difference is not hugely different either. However, when you're looking at hp/$, if you're already replacing the turbo anyway, you might as well get something considerably bigger and the "normal" 16G just ain't that big.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD