Whats the difeference? [BOV and waist gate] - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-25-2006, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
Whats the difeference? [BOV and waist gate]

I'm still very new to the world of turbo charged engines, and I have a question. What is the difference between a blowoff valve and a waste gate? Do they perform basically the same function? where are the two different units mounted? in the same or different spot? I have a friend who has a first gen eclipse [350 hp at the wheels, insainly fast] and he told me he installed a waist gate, but for some reason I was thinking it did the same as a BOV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2006, 01:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
The blow off valve, or bov, is a spring-loaded valve mounted in between the turbocharger and throttle body that opens at a preset pressure. It's function is to provide an escape route for pressurized air trapped in the intake system when the turbocharger is spinning and the throttle plate suddenly closes.

The wastegate is a valve that allows the exhaust to bypass the turbine blades. The wastegate senses the boost pressure. If the pressure gets too high, it could be an indicator that the turbine is spinning too quickly, so the wastegate bypasses some of the exhaust around the turbine blades, allowing the blades to slow down.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
ah I understand, the blow off valve releives the pressure when the throtle is let off, and the wastegate releives pressure when the turbo is spinning [thottle on] to help the turbo work more efficiantly. is that about right?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2006, 11:30 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser
ah I understand, the blow off valve releives the pressure when the throtle is let off, and the wastegate releives pressure when the turbo is spinning [thottle on] to help the turbo work more efficiantly. is that about right?
Yup.Wastegate is what is ,in a nutshell,controlling the boost pressure whether is through just mechanical means(actuator) or electronic means (solenoids that controll/overide actuators).There are also "internal" and "external" wastegates.There are 2 types of BOV's: recirculating/divertor valves and vent to atmosphere(atmospheric) vlave.There job as stated earlier is to relieve pressure durring off throttle conditions.They do not control the boost pressure at all.A great book that you might like is "Maximium Boost" by Corky Bell.Most Borders stock them on the shelf in the Transportation isle.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

GetUpInDer is an unknown
post #6 of 7 Old 01-26-2006, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
Quote:
A great book that you might like is "Maximium Boost" by Corky Bell.Most Borders stock them on the shelf in the Transportation isle.
any other recomended reading, particularly tubo and/or Subaru related material.
So far I have on my "books to buy list" the one mentioned above and "Training WRX" by Nick Warne. Any other titles you guys have read that have improved your tuning knowledge?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2006, 08:55 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...Fencoding=UTF8

Jeff Hartman: "How To Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems"