Subaru WRX Forum banner

Whats the best Turbo & IC?

4K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  8URSTI 
#1 ·
ok this may have already been answered and im sorry if it has. but i am not in any hurry for more HP but this guy at the races is really getting on my nerves by asking every weekend to race. Apparently he is THEE WRX to beat and apparently stomps STis. What whould be the best Turbo to get that at least kicks a few steps ahead of the STi and what is the best IC to go with it? remaining Top mount or go Front? What else can be done to make a normal Imprezza WRX Kill an STi no question and what is the safest way to do it? :confused:

#2 ·
alright . . . yes there are many options right now.
first question is how reliable to you want your block to be,
second are you going to do any lower end work . . . pistons, rods, crank ete.

if you want a mean car and no lower end work go with a
VF22/VF34, turboxs TMIC, you don't need to get a FMIC unless you are pushing over 500hp. then get up/dp, sti injectors, walboro fuel pump, and a good professional tune. that should put you around 300whp and you can toast your STi buddies.

if you want to go with low end work, I suggest getting a 2.2L stroker kit,
with that then you could put a FMIC, with a Garett turbo, the sky is the limit on that one.
Plus you would have to install all of the supporting cast. that should put you well in the 400's for horsepower.

thats my 2 cents.

#3 ·
street setup:

deadbolt monsterported "super 16G" or 18G with a perrin FMIC. add UTEC, fule pump, injectors, and the standard stage 2 stuff and you are ready to go.

i would also like to add that there is NO reason to swat turbos if you have yet to touch your suspension. suspension is integral to building a fast car. it will help a drag car launch, a track car corner, and make a street car feel like its on rails no matter what you are doing!!!

#5 ·
Dude, don't mod your car just to beat this one car. Mod it the way you want. There are a myriad of turbos out there, from a VF39 to a T67 and bigger. It all depends on how much $$ you have to spend, how streetable you want your car to be, and how good you are working on cars. You wanna kill 99.9% of cars on the street? Get the Godspeed 2.8L block, throw a T78 turbo on there or something bigger, huge 1000cc injectors, dual fuel pumps, and a tune. Oh yeah, look at spending about 30 grand for that setup.

#7 ·
if your going to go crazy big like that (FP RED)you are going to need new internals, and if you are doing new internals, you may as well get a new block, and if you are going to get a new block, i would throw some work into the heads, with all that work done you could stand to use a larger turbo as well.

with that said get yourself a crawford performance R4 race motor, with their street heads & cams and a DeadBolt 57lb SUPERZILLA along with the aformentioned APS DR725, APS 3.5" exhaust and a Hydra EMS. that along with stage 3 axles, a dual carbon clutch, and a serious tranny sould put you in frot of everything short of an NHRA TAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...now for the $40,000... :eek:

#9 ·
IBAUCLAPlaya said:
Dude, don't mod your car just to beat this one car. Mod it the way you want. There are a myriad of turbos out there, from a VF39 to a T67 and bigger. It all depends on how much $$ you have to spend, how streetable you want your car to be, and how good you are working on cars. You wanna kill 99.9% of cars on the street? Get the Godspeed 2.8L block, throw a T78 turbo on there or something bigger, huge 1000cc injectors, dual fuel pumps, and a tune. Oh yeah, look at spending about 30 grand for that setup.
thanks for the help but for one im not a dude :poorme: and for two i can care less if i am to mod my car to slash this kid. mainly i want it to be a good car in not just drag but overall. so all your help really hits the spot. Money to me on spending lines is not an issue, if i am to put 40k in my engine then so be it. but i want it to be so im know for a kick ass car not to be known as the girl who beat this kid. Thirdly, i have already tried finding out what he has underthere and it didnt work and i have higher standards than to degrade myself to find out, making my only option to mod my car to no end :sneaky:

#12 ·
WRXScoobYWRX said:
thanks for the help but for one im not a dude :poorme: and for two i can care less if i am to mod my car to slash this kid. mainly i want it to be a good car in not just drag but overall. so all your help really hits the spot. Money to me on spending lines is not an issue, if i am to put 40k in my engine then so be it. but i want it to be so im know for a kick ass car not to be known as the girl who beat this kid. Thirdly, i have already tried finding out what he has underthere and it didnt work and i have higher standards than to degrade myself to find out, making my only option to mod my car to no end :sneaky:
respeck+++

You could try searching NASIOC for people in your area, and find out what he's got. Chances are, if he's a jerk, he's active on NASIOC ROFL

Anyway... it's cool to see females in the car modding world. There aren't many of them, and you're actually getting info from good sources here at WRXtuners.

Welcome to our board, I know you'll like it. Everyone here is really helpful, especially for us n00bs :)

#13 ·
two other things to think about:

suspension - even in a straight line, a good launch has as much to do with a good suspension as power does.

drive train - at the power levels that a custom crawford or easy streep power plant can produce, the factory drive train wont even last through break in! look into an STI tranny, new clutch, and even new axles. it wont do you any good to be ahead in your first race only to drop your tranny or snap your axel splines. ...that would be less than good

#14 ·
is this on a wrx or an STi.........if its on an STi you DO NOT need new internals i know a guy making 422whp on a red with stock internals. if this is a wrx none of these turbos will work way too laggy. And it this guys legit and you have a wrx your 2.0L will never touch him.

#15 ·
if you just want to beat an STi, a stage 4 setup will more than give you enough power and you can use stock internals/tranny/clutch

vf34
sti injectors
any decent TMIC or FMIC (bigger than stock)
walboro fuel pump
UTEC/AP (whichever)
Up pipe / downpipe

and you'll put down AT LEAST 20% more than an STi

approx 4k

#16 ·
it's all good to add power, but alot of people forget about the brakes.
Sure in a straight line race they only stop you at the end. However people tend to forget the fact tht the WRX was not intended for 1/4 mile.
It is a well balanced machine... engine, suspension &.....BRAKES
BRAKES + POWER plain and simple. Later braking means longer time at high speeds. You say you want a kick ass car, don't forget the brakes.

#17 ·
as mentioned 100 times, bigger breaks do not make your car stop faster, they only reduce break fade. Unless she intends to race it on a serious track for a serious period, she will see no advantage from break upgrades!

#19 ·
knot04 said:
two other things to think about:

suspension - even in a straight line, a good launch has as much to do with a good suspension as power does.

drive train - at the power levels that a custom crawford or easy streep power plant can produce, the factory drive train wont even last through break in! look into an STI tranny, new clutch, and even new axles. it wont do you any good to be ahead in your first race only to drop your tranny or snap your axel splines. ...that would be less than good

LMAO yeah that happen last weekend to a kid in an SRT4. i almost pissed myself laughing yelling retard while it happened. ROFL

#20 ·
mosc said:
as mentioned 100 times, bigger breaks do not make your car stop faster, they only reduce break fade. Unless she intends to race it on a serious track for a serious period, she will see no advantage from break upgrades!
when you are doing the 1/4 in any car there is no reason to slam the brakes unless you are on a short road. the only time i would need help braking would be if i were to take it to the actual race track and i hardly go as it is. so i think my brakes are fine for now unless i to a Turbo upgrade withen the next 6 months. the only time i have ever had to slam the brakes was when a idiot pulled out infront of me while in the middle of a race, even then you dont have to SLAM them the ABS helps you out

#21 ·
when you slam on the breaks, your braking is tire limited, not break limited. Better tires will help you stop faster. Better breaks will not.

The ONLY thing better breaks do is resist break fade.

and anybody who drives hard enough on public roads to experience break fade should be locked up in the looney bin

#23 ·
mosc said:
when you slam on the breaks, your braking is tire limited, not break limited. Better tires will help you stop faster. Better breaks will not.

The ONLY thing better breaks do is resist break fade.

and anybody who drives hard enough on public roads to experience break fade should be locked up in the looney bin
You can experience brake fade when you're late to work, or running from the cops :sneaky:

Oh, and BTW. I don't want to seem strange, but I'm OCD about spelling.

Break = To cause to separate into pieces suddenly or violently; smash.

Brake = A device for slowing or stopping motion, as of a vehicle, especially by contact friction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.