What you think about these gauges? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-27-2008, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
i don't get it what the wideband sensor is. is it like a replacement for the old sensor? is it like more accurate and better than the OEM sensor or something?

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-27-2008, 05:30 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
SuBeast, what you're struggling with here is form vs function. Basically, gauges are used to tell you when something is wrong so accuracy is huge and functions like alarms when it goes over a threshold aren't cosmetic, they're requirements. Gauges fall into two categories really: Those that look cool but don't do anything and those that alert you to a problem as quickly as possible.

Mechanical gauges and electrical gauges get hooked up in the same locations and measure the same thing. The difference is that a mechanical gauge uses mechanical means to relay the information. More specifics depends on the gauge. Digital gauges are much the same except AT the measuring device itself, it is converted into an electrical signal (usually 0-5V) that indicates what is going on. The electrical signal gets to your gauge and then you have a more immediate response and also a more accurate response that doesn't change as it passes from sensor to gauge. You then generally also get some logic in the gauge that does things like "beep if it goes over x" kind of thing. The needle on an electric gauge is showing the value on the singal line where on a mechanical gauge, it's actually getting pushed mechanically. Does that make sense?

What do you need gauges for? This is an important question. I would wager than 90%+ of the gauges people add to cars are completely superfluous (statistic out of my ass). My car came with a boost gauge but it's nearly useless. Does it alarm if I hit too high a boost? No. Does it accurately tell me what boost I'm hitting when so I can adjust my tuning? Hell no. These are key points. It looks cool and I guess it tells me the turbo is still working (not that I can't tell that from my butt dyno) but that's about it.

You need gauges to protect your investments. If you have a $10,000 engine in there you just got, spending $700 on some high quality monitoring is probably wise. If you spent 50 bucks on a cable to flash a map made by somebody else on your otherwise stock car (or something similar), $700 is probably a lot to spend on gauges.

Cheap gauges are useless. Expensive gauges are only needed to protect expensive mods.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#18 Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
yeah thanks i get it now sort of, electrical are more accurate and whatnot, and apparently they are not needed really. but eventually later on in my build i will probably get a couple like AFR, EGT and Boost... And i guess i will get the more expensive gauges

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#19 Old 02-28-2008, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
I say once you upgrade your turbo they tend to come in handy, everything else under that it's just "bling".

Edit - don't ever waste your money on mechanical gauges either, as mosc stated.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#20 Old 02-28-2008, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

puls8n is an unknown
I have an 02 that Im loading stage 1 on this weekend and ordering up/down pipes soon so I can go stage 2. I wanted to at least get a boost guage. Does anyone know if the car is pre-wired for one? Since it was an option I figure it prob has a connection for the wiring at least. If thats the case I could buy one from the dealer plug it in and then do the vaccuum line. It would save alot of time jackin with wires.
#21 Old 02-28-2008, 05:28 PM

Garage
it's really not. They just shoehorn one in there for the "factory option" the same way you're think you'll have to do it anyway. I suppose if it HAD a boost gauge from the factory and you wanted to put something decent there instead it would be a help but if it doesn't have one, there's nothing in there that's going to make your life easier.

#22 Old 02-29-2008, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
what about for a different car? My brother is turbo'n his 1999 Nissan Altima, it's got a 2.4liter 4-banger twin cam (KA24DE)... And i'm pretty sure we need to get AT LEAST the AFR, and boost gauges... We are using a t3/t4 turbocharger, TiAL wastegate, JacksonRacing Fuel Pressure Regulator, Turbo XS BOV... We still need to get 370cc injectors, boost controller, boost gauge and AFR gauge... We don't really want to waste $300 for an AFR gauge on the Alti, do you think we could just get an Electrical boost, and a regular AFR gauge and get away with it? (and i guess a wideband o2 sensor)

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#23 Old 02-29-2008, 04:22 PM

Garage
turboing a non-turbo car is pretty different m8...

I'd also like to point out the stupidity of throwing money at a 9 year old altima.

#24 Old 02-29-2008, 04:38 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Thats what you need to properly run a Wideband AFR is the sensor. There are a couple places that sell the sensors that will work with other gauges. innovatemotorsports.com is one of them, but its still $250+ just for the sensor.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#25 Old 02-29-2008, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
There are so many people that turbo Altimas... Why get a flashy-looking 240sx when you can get a family car with teh same engine (just FWD instead of RWD) and easily turbo it! All you need is a manifold, turbo and all the other stuff... Fairly easy to turbo an Altima...

I don't see how it's stupidity turboing the Alti, even if it is 9-years old. It's got barely 100k miles... Especially since it will be ridiculously quick. It already has beaten an F'n RSX Type S... (on track of course) With the turbo, it will transform the Alti into a beast capable of running 13's on the 1/4 at only 5.7psi... It may be old, and turbo'n it might be risky, but you have to udnerstand the potential of the KA24DE, i'm sure you know what the SR20DET is, everyone swaps the KA's from their 240sx's for the sr20's, but what they don't raelize is that the KA has an overbuilt bottom end just like the SR, and when turbo'd they are much faster engines than the SR is, (with the bigger displacement)

I know i have gone off-topic, but whatever, jsut trying to help you realize how cool it is to turbo a car that resembles my Grandma's car

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#26 Old 02-29-2008, 04:47 PM

Garage
I suppose if your purpose is to make a 13 second drag car than it's not a bad path. If you want something that turns or is any quicker than that though it seems like a waste. I mean, what kind of pricerange you talking? $4,000? The car's prob worth about that to begin with. The second you throw those mods on there, the money is all but gone. How many years of use can you hope to get out of a boosted NA car with 100k miles on it? I guess it makes a nice 13 second sleeper but for how long?

Course, I've never been a nissan guy, maybe the KA's a lot better than I think but it always seems like the first thing to go in favor of a SR20...

#27 Old 02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
jeeze htats really expensive just for the sensor... So basically, yeah i will wait until upgraded turbo to get the gauges haha... I would rather spend the money from gauges for a TBE...

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#28 Old 02-29-2008, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
well, so far we have spent only $500 on the turbo setup, and that was for the
-t3/t4 turbocharger
-Turbo XS BOV
-TiAL wastegate
-JacksonRacing Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Spectre Intake (Pep Boy's brand)
-GReddy knock-off FMIC
-I/C piping for an Integra GSR
(turbo was on our friends GSR)
We still need to get this stuff
-370cc injectors -$100
-Piping, Intake & exhaust-$100
-Engine Management-$? (realy xpensive, like $2k for AEM EMS...)
-Boost Controller-$60-$90

Well, my brother only wants it around for maybe a couple years... He was into trading it in for an wrx (after we un-turbo it) but idk about him anymore

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#29 Old 02-29-2008, 05:00 PM

Garage
wow, good haul on the parts!

#30 Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
yeah, since we knew the guy he let us in on the deal Ima buy the injectors for my bro soon (for his bDay) and then everything else is his money ...

here's a couple pics of it, just to show you Omega Sleeper status... Those rims are off our Dad's Volvo
Attached Images

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi