What would you do with 5k? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-27-2010, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

pandersoj is an unknown
What would you do with 5k?

Hi, first post!

I've had an 03 WRX since well 03 and I love it, but I'm getting ancy and would like a little more power.

I'm looking advice on what parts to buy and an estimate on the amount of horse power that could be expected at this price point.

I have an emphasis on drivability and don't care about making it sound loud, I want it to be a monster in disguise.

I know this is a very vague post, but I would love some ideas! Thanks

How does this look?

Or this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you have an emphasis on drivability, that's probably not the solution. Although that could work, that setup with that turbo will be extremely laggy - especially on your 2.0L engine. If you're looking for power that big, you'd be better off selling your WRX and buying an STi since that engine and transmission are more capable of handling that kind of huge power. Unless you want to upgrade your transmission and engine internals, I'd avoid that kit for now and build your current car up in stages. I don't know if you have any current mods, but you could start with a catless up pipe, bellmouth downpipe, and a stealthy black or otherwise quiet cat back and "Stage 2" tune. More info can be found here: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
What would you do with 5k?
Research.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#4 Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
what mods are on the car?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

pandersoj is an unknown
The car is completely stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
If you have an emphasis on drivability, that's probably not the solution. Although that could work, that setup with that turbo will be extremely laggy - especially on your 2.0L engine. If you're looking for power that big, you'd be better off selling your WRX and buying an STi since that engine and transmission are more capable of handling that kind of huge power. Unless you want to upgrade your transmission and engine internals, I'd avoid that kit for now and build your current car up in stages. I don't know if you have any current mods, but you could start with a catless up pipe, bellmouth downpipe, and a stealthy black or otherwise quiet cat back and "Stage 2" tune. More info can be found here: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Thanks for this, so no turbo upgrade quite yet?

VisiX you must be a scientist.!Laugh!
#6 Old 04-28-2010, 02:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
I am a scientist. But what I actually meant was that if I was going to have 5k to spend on my car I would probably research for at least 6 months on how to do it, by that time I probably would have used the money on something else and I'd buy a shift knob with the $50 I had left.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#7 Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

thack03 is an unknown
Yeah read unibombers manifesto, lots of good stuff in there, if you want to stay with the wrx and not upgrade to an STi. I would do f/r sways and endlinks ~$500 turboback exhaust ~$300-1300 (eBay setup to cobb) Engine Management ~$150-700 (tactrix cable to AccessPort v2) beyond that I would say it depends on what you want to do, RallyX AutoX Track etc... Good set of wheels and tires is always good, Spring/Strut setup another good option (both of those can be expensive) changing pads and rotors are more options. If you just want power you can do a fp16g turbo with supporting mods and not be overwhelming the trans too much but that depends on how you drive also. Like already said it really depends on what you want to do and research because theres a different setup for each person
#8 Old 04-30-2010, 12:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

pandersoj is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisiX View Post
I am a scientist. But what I actually meant was that if I was going to have 5k to spend on my car I would probably research for at least 6 months on how to do it, by that time I probably would have used the money on something else and I'd buy a shift knob with the $50 I had left.

Yeah I knew thats what you meant and sadly what is likely to happen. I just don't have the time to obsess over this stuff like I normally do with bi purchases and I'd just rather throw money at it and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thack03 View Post
Yeah read unibombers manifesto, lots of good stuff in there, if you want to stay with the wrx and not upgrade to an STi. I would do f/r sways and endlinks ~$500 turboback exhaust ~$300-1300 (eBay setup to cobb) Engine Management ~$150-700 (tactrix cable to AccessPort v2) beyond that I would say it depends on what you want to do, RallyX AutoX Track etc... Good set of wheels and tires is always good, Spring/Strut setup another good option (both of those can be expensive) changing pads and rotors are more options. If you just want power you can do a fp16g turbo with supporting mods and not be overwhelming the trans too much but that depends on how you drive also. Like already said it really depends on what you want to do and research because theres a different setup for each person
Thanks, I really appreciate this information! How much hp boost do you reckon this would provide. Probably my main concern is turbo lag I have to say, I have no issues with my car after I hit 3000 rpms. Would it be smart just to get a new turbo that spools quickly as well and whatever else is necessary to make it run without blowing up?

I also plan on painting it white (currently rex blue) and getting black rims and a tint.
#9 Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 AM

Garage
The TD04 is a superbly fast spooling turbo. I would not replace it if your main concern is turbo lag.

#10 Old 04-30-2010, 02:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

thack03 is an unknown
yeah listen to mosc, if your concern is turbo lab spend money port n polishing your td04 or get a blouch or deadbolt td04
#11 Old 04-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Garage
yeah, TD04-19T

#12 Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

pandersoj is an unknown
I just got off the phone with flatirons subaru performancce center here in Boulder and this is the quote he put together for me.

I have written up a quote for you. This includes:
Blouch EvoIII 16g turbo
Cobb Accessport
TurboXS 3” exhaust
Deatchwerks 850cc Injectors
TurboXS topmount intercooler
Walburo 255 fuel pump
Cobb intake

Sub-total=4081.31
Tax=333.03
Total=4414.33
This quote also includes all needed gaskets. The only think I didn’t include was a heat shield for the turbo, as the stock on can fit with a bit of modification. The only parts that I would not consider absolutely necessary would be the Accessport (595.00). There are other ways to tune the car that are a bit cheaper, however I enjoy the versatility of the unit. This is actually a similar setup to what I am running so if you have any questions, feel free to contact me via email or phone.

WHat do you guys think
#13 Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Garage
The E3-16G is IMHO the right balance for the EJ205 and that's a good list. I would point out that a proper dynotune is invaluable but does cost money. Also, there's no cat in that exhaust which at your power levels will just make it louder and stink.

I would not neglect the other areas of your car in favor of a turbo upgrade. Tires, for example, are the most significant mod you can do.

#14 Old 04-30-2010, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Strap in and pray your trans doesn't die. lol

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#15 Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
5 grand to burn. Personally, I would sell it and grab an STI or just go stage 2 and throw the rest in the bank. Better yet, take the 5000 and buy a sportbike, then you won't care about modding your car.