What to upgrade - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-21-2004, 10:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

T.Midnight is an unknown
What to upgrade

I have a 2005 wrx sti and love it, Im looking to upgrade and I was wondering what and who to go to for the upgrades. I want quicker throttle response and a deeper more throaty sound to the exhaust, I cants stand the exhaust that are on all those civics that sound like a swarm of bees. I looked at the new stage 1 kit that vishnu came out with just for the sti but I thought I should here something about it and the company before I went ahead and did it. Also xcceleration has like 2 kits for it too. So if anyone has any ideas or experience I am open ears.

thanx

Speed Kills...Drive a Honda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2004, 10:49 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Well its very hard to make the boxer engine sound like a ricer Honda so you don't have to worry about that. I recommend some sort of engine management to get your throttle response a little better and pretty much any turboback exhaust will get you the throaty sound. How loud do you want it? If you want LOUD you could go w/ any type of downpipe and piece it with a HKS hyper-ti or carbon-ti catback (not sure what it is called) or TXS RFL-Ti muffler/catback. Some of the quieter catbacks are the Borla Hush and Greddy EVO and EVOII I think. As for downpipes you could get anything thats mandrel bent, is divorced wastegate or bellmouth, and is 3" or bigger. Helix, TurboXS, Stromung, and Invidia are all examples, but there are many more out there.
#3 Old 08-21-2004, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

tescrex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tescrex
If you get a turboback, be sure to get your turbo ported. There are reports of boost creep on the sti if you don't port it. Perrin makes a very good product, may want to look into them.
#4 Old 08-21-2004, 09:55 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I think he only needs the wastegate ported to stop boost creep but I may be wrong.
#5 Old 08-22-2004, 04:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
I believe that's correct.

Blue
#6 Old 08-22-2004, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

T.Midnight is an unknown
thanks for all the help. I will look into it all. One other question I have is that the sti to kind of heavy, and I was hoping that maybe someone knows a place on the car where there some easy weight to take off. I mean it is obvious to go with carbon fiber hood and trunk and quarter panels.
#7 Old 08-22-2004, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

tescrex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tescrex
You won't lose a whole lotta weight with the hood because it already is fiberglass. So if you get a CF hood, make sure its one that is just CF and not CF laid over fiberglass. Also get rid of your a/c compressor, sound deadening material, spoiler, as well as your spare. That should shave off a couple pounds.
#8 Old 08-23-2004, 01:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to hipo_wrx Send a message via Yahoo to hipo_wrx
i dont think they make fiberglass quarters unless your refering to the fenders then yes that might help but they dont look all that heavy to me. trunk is a good plus id say. if i was to get any fenders id get the widebody's saw one on a basic and they looked even better
#9 Old 08-23-2004, 09:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I have a carbon hood on my car, and I honestly can't tell any difference in the weight of the stock hood and the carbon hood.
#10 Old 10-10-2004, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

chuckwagon is an unknown
xcceleration has excellent turbo back systems (Random Technologies) they make some of the best high flow cats on the market and you will pay for it too! I put their stage 1 kit on my 05 sti and it sounds awesome but very expensive.
#11 Old 10-10-2004, 01:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
you might want to take a look at what others are doing to STi's. For example, WorldOnePerformance's project STi may be of interest to you.

"I hear Buschur Racing does WRX UTECs now ... oh buddy!"
#12 Old 10-14-2004, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

yelWRXlow1 is an unknown
I just ordered a VIS CF trunk lid yesterday and VIS claims that the stock trunk lid is around 30lbs and their CF trunk lid is around 9lbs. So if you want to shave weight with carbon fiber accessories, the trunk may be the way to go.....plus i think a wingless CF trunk lid on an STi would be teh hotness!
#13 Old 10-14-2004, 09:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Just make sure you don't use the trunk release inside the car once you put it on. The springs that lift the trunk are made for the heavier trunk. With a lightweight trunk, it is too strong. It flies up and can damage things...