Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   What UP to get/Is it ok to run TBE/UP without EM? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/what-up-get-ok-run-tbe-up-without-em-9235/)

BiggSean 10-08-2005 12:24 AM

What UP to get/Is it ok to run TBE/UP without EM?

Hey guys, i'm getting a Perrin divorced DP, and a horla hush exhaust system from a fellow WRXer. I'd really love to install this system and be done with it, so I really want to do it right the first time. I've read about the benefits of a cast UP versus a flex/stainless but wanted to get some insight from you guys first. I'm leaning towards the turboXS cast UP at the moment. If I do decide to go with this UP, where is a good place to order it from?

My second question relates to EM. Is it ok to install the entire exhaust system prior to getting a cobb AP? If there are any detrimental effects, then i'll just wait until I get to the AP and install it all at the same time and immediately flash to stage 2.

smores 10-08-2005 09:22 AM

There aren't any detrimental effects relating to installing a quality exhaust system, such as the Borla you are getting. You will notice a SLIGHT difference. Better response, at the very least.

The EM just adjusts everything to maximize the effectiveness of your modifications. If you get the exhaust first, I would put it in. One thing less to worry about when you are doing the AP installation/configuration. I don't know about you, but when I do my mods, I usually have to do them in a span of a few hours, so I don't have the time for mistakes or extensive amounts of modification.

If you have a free weekend to install everything, whatever your preference is, go with it.

However, I don't know much about the DP/UP stuff... I'll leave that to someone else........

WRXforME 10-08-2005 01:27 PM

There will be no detrimental effects. Put on your exhaust, enjoy the extra power, then install the AccessPort, and enjoy the power again.

Ian 10-08-2005 03:49 PM

You will be fine with just installing the TBE with out EM, you might throw a CEL but there are fixes out there for that Gruppe-s.com has them. For the UP I have the Perrin UP which is solid with no problems some people have used solid UP and always had leaks but as long as you install it properly you should be fine. If you are more comfortable you can get the Helix UP which has a flex pipe attached to it which some have had better luck with leak wise.

WRXforME 10-08-2005 04:03 PM

Ill sell you a fix for $15 if and when you throw a CEL.

BiggSean 10-10-2005 10:23 AM

I'm thinking now about just ordering the Cobb AP along with the helix UP and doing everything at once. So now my question is this, is it safe to install everything slightly before the breakin period? Say around 800-900 miles. If i did install everything, I would still take it easy on the car.

slug1 10-10-2005 01:25 PM

as far as the exhaust components, I would say that is safe to do before it is broken it, but I would wait to do the Cobb until after the break-in period was over. The EM messes with serious engine settings, which you don't want to mess with until you know your pistons and valves have set.

IBAUCLAPlaya 10-10-2005 01:59 PM

To be hoenst, I wouldn't do anything to the car other than a snorkelectomy until the break in period is done...

Ian 10-10-2005 05:10 PM

Snorkelectomy ROFL scrub in IBAUCLAplaya!

suddenthomas 10-10-2005 08:09 PM

Hey man if you havent bought ap yet go with utec instead finally got mine on and running today and holly S$$$ cosmo was right best money I ever spent you can find them for aroun 600. I am set at stage 2 but dont plan on being there long. Any way you go em made a huge difference with those mods. I ran them for two weeks without and I cant believe the difference with em.

BiggSean 10-10-2005 09:06 PM

What are the HP numbers for stage 2 using the Utec?

suddenthomas 10-11-2005 10:57 PM

Been told around 300-315 at tranny but not sure yet will be hitting the dyno to get pro tuned with in two weeks when work allows. But every one of my fellow suby friends recommends the utec over cobb because so easy widely used. Not to say the Cobb isnt but 7 of 10 people here I can almost guarantee run utec. If I had the money I would have gone with a hydra because I think with the amount of money I am throwin at my car I might out grow utec. But who knows I got my utec for only 600 from some one who bought a hydra. They are out there just shop around

suddenthomas 10-11-2005 11:07 PM

Forgot to mention the other cool modes that I was taught I have roomates that always want to drive my car and there is a valet mode you can set utec at. That only lets your car rev out at like 3500 my friend that sold me utec messed with me and set it there to see my reaction. lol very funny then he showed me anti theft very cool dont know if cobb ap comes with that but thought that was very cool

fastmatt 10-12-2005 12:29 AM

it all depends on how much power ## looking to get out of ## car...If I were u..and if U had the extra money lying around..I would go utec..the ap is great but u aint going to gain as much power out of it as u are with a utec..theres just so much more u can do with a utec...the ap has its limits..I mean u can get the street tuner but still with the price of that and the ap ## looking at almost a utec price..well a used one at that..

as for up pipes...I would go with a non-flex one...as for the flex ones...over time the heat gets to them and it starts to break apart at the flex(which takes a while)...just make sure if u get a non flex up-pipe..get someone who knows what there doing..so u have no leaks....so I would say go..with what brand u like and the price range your looking towards..

BiggSean 10-12-2005 12:35 AM

Well guys I ended up going with a Cobb AP. I found somebody selling one for an 05 at a price I couldnt pass up. I really was leaning more towards the Cobb because of the simplicity of being able to use the decent base maps, and the ability to have it pro-tuned if I need to. As far as the UP is concerned, i'm either going to get a helix UP from gruppe-s or a PDE flex UP from a user on nasioc. (he's asking 180 for it)