What are the proper/correct mods i should install w/ my 16g? - Page 5 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#61 Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Just for a reference Blouch has been making 16Gs for some time now also:Blouch Turbos

And still does.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 05-26-2012, 06:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

thack03 is an unknown
OP what parts do you currently have waiting to install? What shop is working on your car/ or are you doing the work? What roads in South Lake/ Tahoe area do you like to drive? Have you been down 88 to Shakeridge and Fiddletown? Or Ice House and surrounding roads off 50? Blouch are great turbos, and I would also be thinking about a timing belt if you didn't replace that prior to your motor swap. Honestly if you daily your car up in Tahoe, you do not want coilovers, unless you get quality ones that have good dampening system and not just some megan racing/d2/tein basic,etc. I would recommend kyb's or sti struts matched with some rce/prodrive/spt springs, as well as sway bars and endlinks (which I would actually do first if you have recently replaced your struts) Regardless of what you do at this point since you aren't running 565cc sti/dw injectors, and no sti tmic you will definitely need a custom tune. You could baby your car a few miles to a shop if you do the work at home (I did this and drove ~12 miles to the shop for a tune) but it will not be running good. Most AP tunes set the injector duty cycles and amount of fuel the shot into the cylinder as a flow%, so if the AP calls for 85% flow of a 565cc injector at WOT thats 480cc with (X) amount of air to create an A/F of apprx 11-12ish, so if you ran a 650cc injector you would be placing 552cc of fuel in with the same (X) amount of air, making your A/F ratio rich which will give you worse gas mileage among worse affects. But it is fine to drive very cautiously a short distance to tune, DO NOT go drive the car hard at all without a tune, but still it would be worse for the car to run lean. More power, but harder on the motor. If you are going from an APv1 stage 2 to a Blouch 16g with supporting MODs it should be as satisfying as the jump from stock to stage 2 if not even better. Another thing to take into serious consideration is what tires you are running, both in winter and summer due to the vast change in climate. Which you may already know, just thought I would include that incase. What brake pads are you buying? And do you plan on tracking your car, or competing in any auto-x? Or is this for performance oriented canyon carving and fire road bombing?
#63 Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

gangster is an unknown
GOod list of ?s thack. Lets see if i can remember that while i type. Here are the parts ive been collecting and waiting to install. More than likely i will have a buddy help me install and then i will have a custom tune done. I will have the tuner come to me. I have driven some of the roads mentioned. BLue lakes road is also another really fun one

Brand new hawk pads
new kyb struts
blouch 16g-xt
d.werks 750cc injectors
warlboro fuel pump
hks turbo timer
turbo xs tmic
perrin turbo inlet tube
perrin intake
forge recirc bov
and some rally armor mud flaps(the only piece that upgrades the looks of the car)

And i think thats it. NOw w/ all the mods i have a feeling my tranny is gonna wanna blow apart w/ any fun driving. So im lookn into a new trans and clutch.

DO i need to do a flywheel at the same time? And how does that benefit me/car?

Is a sti strong enough for my supporting mods? We found one for $1200.

Or do I need a set of RA gears? I can have those purchased and installed for $2500 and he would do the clutch and flywheel at the same time.

Id love a 6sp sti tranny for the price and an extra gear. But will it hold up to the power or is it a waste that will also blow apart?

THanks guys.
#64 Old 05-27-2012, 01:10 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You need more than just the transmission of an STI to make it work on your car. Theres alot of info on here and NASIOC about doing it. The RAs are not that much better than stock, but much cheaper than PPGs, Albins or Par gear sets (arguably the best option to go with when beefing up the 5spd).

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#65 Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

gangster is an unknown
whats a good set of ppgs gonna run me?
#66 Old 05-27-2012, 09:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

gangster is an unknown
#67 Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 PM

My PPG set up with ClutchMaster STG3 clutch and act lightened flywheel with installation ran me around $7500. Im not sure on those gears there, no personal experience with them. If money is an issue look into the 08+ gears and install kit. They are substantially stronger than 02-07 gears and much cheaper than PPGs/Albins/Par.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#68 Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

gangster is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
My PPG set up with ClutchMaster STG3 clutch and act lightened flywheel with installation ran me around $7500. Im not sure on those gears there, no personal experience with them. If money is an issue look into the 08+ gears and install kit. They are substantially stronger than 02-07 gears and much cheaper than PPGs/Albins/Par.
how much for just the ppg's and no labor fees? and what about the 08 gears and kit price?
#69 Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 AM

There are several types of PPGs, best bet is to contact andrewtech.com about prices and shipping and what not. They are one of the only distributors of the gears I know of, and they know their stuff also. As far as the 08 gears go, I have no idea. I know that the info is either on here or NASIOC.com.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#70 Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The LGT gear set upgrade for 2002-2007 wrxs can be found here.

2005 - 2008 Legacy GT 1st - 4th Gear Set

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#71 Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
OP,
You really should should put some of those parts on ahead of time (Inlet and FP). Only reason I say this is because it will narrow things down if you run into problems with the turbo install and tune.

You sure the Perrin inlet is the correct one for the 16g?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#72 Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

gangster is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
The LGT gear set upgrade for 2002-2007 wrxs can be found here.

2005 - 2008 Legacy GT 1st - 4th Gear Set
Can this gear set handle 3-400whp?

And yes the perrin turbo inlet tube is the correct one for my blouch 16g.
#73 Old 05-31-2012, 11:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I'm no expert in 5 spds. Seeing as how I drive a 6 spd. But, if they're the same as the new Gen LGT style gears. Then I'd say they're a lot more stout then what you have in there. The new 3rd Gen wrxs have these gears in the 5 spds and some claim the gears are holding up to 400 wtq. Which tq destroys gears more than HP anyways.

Correct, why would a perrin inlet not work on a 16G Paul? A 16G has the standard size opening of 2.4 " and not the 3 " opening of some of the bigger turbos.

Sent from my AT100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#74 Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Also, talk to your tuner. He may recommend a 3-port BCS. They make the car much more drivable. Ask your tuner though, some have preferences for MBC's or other things.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#75 Old 06-01-2012, 05:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Never know with some of the XT turbos. Just double checking. If I didn't say it, and it didn't fit... he'd be down a week.

Just sayin

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3