what is a good quiet exhaust - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 03-10-2009, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

ajtoce is more helpful than not
haha borla hush is about the quietest exhaust and turboxs is about the loudest. just go with spt, you can find them online for way cheaper than any other exhaust and it has a perfect sound, enough to satisfy the boxer engine rumble and will not attract po-po attention. i got mine for $600 shipped just search around the different suby websites

God is love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

redienhcsder is an unknown
turboxs

I have a turboxs up-pipe and tbe with no cats and it is pretty F----- loud, i dont think that would be the one for you...haha
#18 Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

eckiller220 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to eckiller220
k i norrow it down to greddy sp2 or the maddad ( evo 2 , cobb , spt was way too loud for me after number of research on youtube lol) so out of sp2 and maddad which one u guys think i should get my set up is gt spec gen 2 manifold with uppipe and helix v3 or 2 which ever downpipe .
#19 Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

jxkim is an unknown
it seems the borla hush or the spt catback are quiet. which one is quieter (planning to do uppipe)?
#20 Old 03-01-2010, 03:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

PdxRex is an unknown
Myself (09 WRX) spent hours and hours looking for "my" perfect exhaust. I went SPT, yes it is alittle louder than You Tube. DO NOT make your choice strickly by You Tube!! I am totally stocked with it, nice deep rumble, not too loud, no cabin drone. I have a buddy (08 WRX) that just got the TurboXS, and he does not like it TOO loud, funny thing was that he offered to trade me plus some cash. HAHA yeah right. My best advice of finding your perfect exhaust I recommend listening to as many as you can IN PERSON. Just my ¢02. Good luck on the pursuit in finding that exhaust.
#21 Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

jxkim is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdxRex View Post
Myself (09 WRX) spent hours and hours looking for "my" perfect exhaust. I went SPT, yes it is alittle louder than You Tube. DO NOT make your choice strickly by You Tube!! I am totally stocked with it, nice deep rumble, not too loud, no cabin drone. I have a buddy (08 WRX) that just got the TurboXS, and he does not like it TOO loud, funny thing was that he offered to trade me plus some cash. HAHA yeah right. My best advice of finding your perfect exhaust I recommend listening to as many as you can IN PERSON. Just my ¢02. Good luck on the pursuit in finding that exhaust.
of the other exhausts you have heard up close... which seems quieter than the SPT?
#22 Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Mad dad whispher, the Borla Hush, and there is one made by Vibrant that are all pretty quiet. I honestly think they are all pretty similar. Also depends on other mods done to the car (for at least me, all the ones I have heard where on stage 2 or more cars except the SPT which was a stage 1).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#23 Old 03-01-2010, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
I've got the Greddy Evo 2 and i was blown away with how quiet it is.. seriously!! i purchased an Invidia up and the HKS down at the same time as the exhaust but havent installed em yet! i do imagine it'll become much more intense with the lack of cat's but ive got my fingers crossed!!
#24 Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

PdxRex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxkim View Post
of the other exhausts you have heard up close... which seems quieter than the SPT?
The SPT was the quitest, all others I have heard where louder. Hope that helps? If you go onto Nasioc and see if there is a local Chapter to see if some of those folks would be gettin together at a meet then you could check the sound, I am sure there would a lot of different exhausts there. Good luck on wich ever one you choose. Exhaust was the hardest mod choice I have ever made.
#25 Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

v8killr is an unknown
has anyone heard the hks carbon ti in person? is it much much louder then the spt?
#26 Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ That's what I have (HKS Carbon Ti) on my 07 WRX and it's pretty loud.

If 0 was a "quiet" exhaust and 10 was a "loud" exhaust, I'd classify:

Stock cat back = 1
SPT cat back = 5
HKS Carbon TI = 8

I don't know how else to describe it. The HKS Hi Power cat back is pretty loud. Let's just say that when my car is backed up against the house (still several feet away), when I turn the car on in the morning, it shakes the whole house and you can hear and feel vibrations throughout the entire house. It is also really easy to set off car alarms in parking garages. It's that loud

John
07 WRX
#27 Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

jxkim is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
^ That's what I have (HKS Carbon Ti) on my 07 WRX and it's pretty loud.

If 0 was a "quiet" exhaust and 10 was a "loud" exhaust, I'd classify:

Stock cat back = 1
SPT cat back = 5
HKS Carbon TI = 8

I don't know how else to describe it. The HKS Hi Power cat back is pretty loud. Let's just say that when my car is backed up against the house (still several feet away), when I turn the car on in the morning, it shakes the whole house and you can hear and feel vibrations throughout the entire house. It is also really easy to set off car alarms in parking garages. It's that loud
nice i like this. where you think a borla hush and greddy sp2 would go?
when i did my ypipe on maxima it made my catback a lot louder. i assume the same would happen with the wrx. so definitely looking for quietest because i want to do up/down pipes
#28 Old 03-03-2010, 08:06 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You are correct in the assumption that a DP will make the exhaust note a bit deeper/louder. And if you upgrade your turbo, the exhaust will yet again change (if you plan ever donig so). I know that the hush is right around the SPT, maybe a tad quieter, not sure about the greddy tho.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#29 Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
There's always COBB... nice and quiet as well.

-Chris
#30 Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxkim View Post
nice i like this. where you think a borla hush and greddy sp2 would go?
Thanks!

Although I haven't heard either of those two cat backs in person, based on internet videos, I'd assume they're somewhere in the 3-6ish range.

Another tip: if you want to keep your exhaust noise to a minimum, choose a downpipe with a high flow catalytic converter in it. The high flow cats only rob you of 1-5 (+/-) hp which is really nothing in the scheme of things for a daily driven street car, but it reduces noise slightly too. Cobb's downpipe is made with a thick cast iron bellmouth housing that connects directly to the turbo - aside from keeping heat inside the pipe due to the thickness of the cast material which allows the exhaust gases to move faster (hot air travels faster than cold air) thus giving you more power, it also keeps some amount of noise inside the pipe which reduces cabin noise as well. Lesser quality downpipes simply stretch a 3" pipe to accomodate the 4" "oval" opening directly behind the turbo. Anyway, just some food for thought

John
07 WRX