Subaru WRX Forum banner

What gauges?

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  titter 
#1 ·
Hey everybody!

So I own a 2002 wrx sedan, 65k miles, stock except intake. I have a build thread but I need some help deciding what three gauges I should get.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks!

#5 ·
My vote is aem boost, oil pressure, & wideband AFR. Its what I have ;) You can tell when the oil is up to temp by the pressure gauge. Pressure drops once its at operating temp. You wouldn't be able to tell if it overheated though. And for god sakes please don't use a oil filter sandwich adapter for any oil sensors. I hate those things!

#10 ·
And for god sakes please don't use a oil filter sandwich adapter for any oil sensors. I hate those things!
I made the mistake of getting one some time back and needless to say it made its way to the garbage fairly quick. Ended up going with the gallery plug.
You live and you learn.

#6 · (Edited)
Boost, oil pressure and oil temp for monitoring your turbo engine's vitals if you're going to track it.

To Adair's point above, replace the 'oil pressure idiot light sensor' with a 3-way combo sensor that has oil pressure + temp + idiot light plug. This is fitted into the top of the block at the top of the oil galley. It's the cleanest installation.

Attachments

#9 ·
You can relocate the idiot light sensor to the rear galley plug.

boo-key, I have the same gauges. Any issues with some being brighter than others? My boost gauge is so dim, esp compared to the wideband.
Nope, mine are all the same. There is a light sensor on the gauge for auto-dimming. Maybe its dirty, partially blocked by the gauge face, or not working properly.

#20 ·
What Keith said. My downpipe already had a bung in it. You can also weld one in right after the turbo. A google image search should yeild some good location results. The sensors are kinda expensive so some people only leave it in the pipe during tuning so that it don't wear out as fast. I leave mine in all the time because I like to monitor it.

#21 ·
That's what i was thinking,I will leave mine as well for monitoring purposes. I've seen a few or most of the location for the bung is on the exhaust after cat converter and also that's what it says on the PDF installation instruction that comes with the AEM kit. I know with the AM downpipe, there's alraedy a bung on top it, thisis what confuses me!?!:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.