What To Expect ? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-13-2008, 08:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

05SUBIE is an unknown
What To Expect ?

Just Wondering I'm New To This Forum And Was Wondering If I Could Get Some Of My Many ?'s Answered Because I Dont Know If I Really Trust What The Shop Tells Me Or If They Just Want To Make More Money. So If Anyone Has Any Idea I Would Appreciate The Help
First Thing Is I Have A 05 Wrx And Was Wondering What To Expect I Bought A 3" Catless Downpipe, 3" Catback Exhaust, Headers With Uppipe, Man Boost Controller And A Turbo Timer, And I Was Told To Have The Ecu Reflashed Just Wondering If There Is Anything Else I Should Do To Make It Safe To Pull More Boost Off The Stock Turbo.the Shop Told Me They Could Get A Couple More Pounds Of Boost With Reflashing And A Boost Controller And What I Already Bought And It Would Be Safe To Drive. Just Wondering If Thats Right Or If There Is Anything Else I Should Do With That. Also Wondering What Kind Off Hp To Expect To Be Putting To The Wheels With The Stuff I Have Already Bought Kind Of On A Tight Buget For Right Now

If Anyone Has Any Help That Would Be Great Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2008, 09:13 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
I would answer you questions if I could understand them.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

05SUBIE is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyhead View Post
I would answer you questions if I could understand them.

hah....I did kind of jumble everything together....well, basically I listed the mods I just recently bought " 05 Wrx: 3" Catless Downpipe, 3" Catback Exhaust, Headers With Uppipe, Manual Boost Controller And A Turbo Timer.....I am wondering what kind of gains to expect with those. Also, should I get the ECU reflashed? Or is just a dyno tune at the shop good enough? Or, do they basically do that when tuning the car?

is that any better?
#4 Old 06-13-2008, 10:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
From what I know, that turbo timer is not necassary. This is just one of the posts I found on it from the administrator.

According to all of my research, the turbo timer is a waste of hard earned $$$. The WRX has oil pressure that is high enough to cool the turbo sufficiently. Of coarse, there are acceptions to every rule. If you are running stock, then you should be safe, but if you are doing hot laps at the drag strip and doing several consecutive runs and then immediately shutting your engine off, you might be in trouble. On the whole, you should be safe with a stock setup and if you are nervous about it, drive hard and then take a spin around the block taking it pretty easy before you shut the engine off.

The turbo's in our cars are water cooled, and are sufficiently cooled unless swapped out.

So, I hope you kept the receipt, or...wait...who said Ebay?

Also, isn't a dyno tune better than a reflash? They customize a map to your car when they do that. A tune is a great inexpensive way to get good safe gains.

Last edited by Chase; 06-15-2008 at 02:47 AM.
#5 Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#6 Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Ok I think I can help...I have a '05 WRX.

First off, turbo timer is not necessary (as already said). MBC (manual boost controller) is not needed if you flash the ECU. The boost is regulated by the map on your ECU and upping the boost with out changing the paramaters of your Map (via the MBC) is a great way to mess up your engine.

My suggestion get a Cobb AP and use one of their Maps and eventually get a protune. Other option (for way less $$) is get a tractrix cable/laptop and do the tune. Personally, for ease of use I went with the AP.

Also there are some other things to consider when going Stage 2. New OEM gaskets for everything being replaced (exhaust manifold to uppipe, turbo to uppipe, turbo to downpipe, downpipe to catback 3", exhaust manifold to headers). New exhaust hangers (Kartboy makes some good ones) will keep the exhaust tight and from rattling like a ghetto fart can.

As for the gains, it will be a very nice step up from stock, actually a completely different car and you will have gone from around 170hp at the wheels to about 220-230hp (maybe a little more b/c of the headers).

Lastly, because of the headers you may need a custom (ie: PDX or other modified stage 2 map) or protune. I am pretty sure that the paramaters of the Cobb AP Stage 2 Map does not include headers.
#7 Old 06-13-2008, 12:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

05SUBIE is an unknown
Thanks for the info. I dont really have the money for a ecu upgrade or Cobb AP right now
i think i will have to settle with letting the shop tune it for now will that work for know until i get some money for the ecu upgrade

Last edited by 05SUBIE; 06-13-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling
#8 Old 06-14-2008, 01:13 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The shop should be able to do it as long as the know what they are doing. Doesnt necessarily mean it will be cheaper though. Depends on how long it takes, how many maps and other things.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Labukas19 is more helpful than not
if that shop wants to put on a boost controller id stay away from them...period...
just go with opensource. tactrix cable and ecu flash. easy as pie to do. and hella cheaper then AP... if your not comfortable with tweaking your own tune. get a mail order flash from like xpt or something...

2001 COBRA