what do you think? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 Old 03-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by six3jag
Your stock inter cooler was not designed to run at the high temperatures your stock turbo will produce at 20 psi. I do not believe at these operating conditions the stock inter cooler will keep the air near enough to ambient temperature. The bigger your inter cooler, the more heat exchange, the closer the air going into the engine will be to ambient. I would love to take out my thermodynamics book and talk about the reduction in enthalpy of the air going in and how that reduces the work the engine needs to compress the air, but i don't think anyone cares... The cooler the air though, the less work your cylinders will need to compress it. It will free up noticeable power with a good tune. Ive heard others on this site say 20-30hp before, but i really don't know how much.
You caught my curiousity, but technobable usely make me go cross eyed

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 Old 03-06-2006, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

six3jag is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to six3jag
Ya I understand. I will try to avoid talking like an engineering nerd, but seriously I thought i had heard people with practical experience say that a new top mount yields gains even with a stock turbo. Would some one prove me wrong or right please. As for the techno Babel if anyone has the curiosity look up inter cooled pumps in a thermo book sometime. They are pretty cool. There are several ways to look at it. Mainly it makes the process more isothermal. You Can also look at it as cooler air is denser and contains more oxygen per volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement