What do you guys think of this? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-18-2006, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

03'WRXDriva is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to 03'WRXDriva Send a message via Yahoo to 03'WRXDriva
What do you guys think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...39229806QQrdZ1

I dont know what the stock internals can handle as im new to the wrx field. Just looking at all options to add some HP's I ordered a dp up and as soon as i get that on ill work on the cat back.

Also how would you explain the feel of addin a the dp and other mods. Can you reall y tell the diff? explain..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-18-2006, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03'WRXDriva
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...39229806QQrdZ1

I dont know what the stock internals can handle as im new to the wrx field. Just looking at all options to add some HP's I ordered a dp up and as soon as i get that on ill work on the cat back.

Also how would you explain the feel of addin a the dp and other mods. Can you reall y tell the diff? explain..
From what I've read, this turbo is one that's sold by turbochargers.com and is basically a Taiwanese clone of the Mitsubishi 16G turbo. I can't comment on it's durability, but I'd recommend getting a turbo from a more reputable vendor such as Forced Performance or deadbolt who use genuine Mitsubishi turbos.

As far as your downpipe and catback are concerned, you won't notice a huge gain in performance until you get some type of engine management to help your car take advantage of the freer breathing exhaust. I personally prefer the cobb accessport. With the accessport, a dp and a catback you can flash your ECU to their stage 2 map which is good for 285 crank horsepower. BIG difference from stock! As far as a turbo upgrade is concerned, I wouldn't do that until you have all the other recommended supporting mods such as:

Uppipe
Downpipe
Catback
bigger injectors
walboro feul pump
bigger TMIC or FMIC (recommended but not required)

Obviously after getting all of these goodies on you will want to utilize some form of engine management. A custom dyno tune is the best bet at this point.

- Sean
- 2005 WRX Wagon, Stage 2
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #3 of 4 Old 02-18-2006, 02:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
A turbo upgrade is not what you are looking for for your first mod, start smaller and work up. However the turbo you chose isn't going to be making to much power for the internals if you have a good dyno tune and no detonation. I know of local guy making around 425hp on the stock internals. The problem he ran into was in the transmission. He shredded 2nd gear and ended up getting a STi 6speed swap.

The first upgrade for power I would do is a downpipe. You will feel the increased power and your the car will start to come alive.

The second mod I would do is an uppipe. There will be minimal power gains from it, but by removing the cat in the stock uppipe, you will ensure that you turbo will not be damaged later on from pieces of the cat that break off and go through the turbo. I also strongly suggest the uppipe at the same time as the downpipe, because during the install of the uppipe, you have to remove the downpipe.

The third mod I suggest is some kind of engine management. This will adjust the timing, fuel and boost allowing another significant increase in power. You can also have a dyno tune which extracts the most HP rather then running an off the shelf tune.

The fourth mod I suggest is a turbo, but by getting a larger turbo, you need more fuel and you need to cool all the extra air that the turbo is pushing. You need to get a larger fuel pump that flows more fuel and you need larger injectors so you are able to push more fuel into the cylinders. You also SHOULD upgrade your intercooler to a larger topmount or a front mount. You also strongly suggest getting a dyno tune to make the best of these mods.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-18-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

03'WRXDriva is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to 03'WRXDriva Send a message via Yahoo to 03'WRXDriva
Ok, some good feedback guys thanks. Incase you didnt read all i wrote i have a uppipe and downpipe and perrin short ram intake. I really wasnt plannin on upgradein the turbo at the moment and probly never will. I just want a fast reliable car. Without having to worry about blowin something up. Ive heard to many stories now about second gear gettin shredded. Infact their was an 02' highly modded with second gear out at the dealership i went too the other day. Now the cobb access port is soundin like a must have huh. I have a chevy diesel truck with the edge on it and WOW its badass now. Its about as fast as my wrx stock. Anyhow Is installing the cobb or whatever brand i get a big deal and would the stock programming be ok? I dont know of any even near close shops around here im in southern iowa. I just want to keep up with some modded tsi's and such. my good friend has a lightly modded 300zxtt also.

How hard is it to write your own maps for the programmer?

And is a air fuel guage something i should look into?

Im sure their are 100 more posts like this so im gonna look more on here also.
Iv'e only been on this site for about a week. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement