What boost controller to get? Manual VS. Electronic - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-25-2002, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXdude is an unknown
What boost controller to get? Manual VS. Electronic

I would like to install a boost controller in my car but i dont know which to get. Manual or electronic. I will also be getting a UTEC one of these days and I was told to get a manual boost controller to go with it. Which of the boost controllers are easy to use? Also do I need to upgrade my fuel system? By reading some of the posts, I guess 16 or 17 psi is obtainable with the stocker hair dryer.
Anyway, my only mod so far is a TurboXS BOV and an AEM CAI(I might have to remove this for now ### it caused lost of torque).
Also should I open up exhaust (a turbo back) before I do the boost controller mod?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

WRXdude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2002, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

HRTATAK is an unknown
You could always put in a catless uppipe as insurance so as not to damage the turbo with broken fragments of cat. 16 psi should be about the max boost for the stock turbo. Both a manual and electronic boost controller will do the job, but the electronic will have much better features...with a price though.
#3 Old 11-26-2002, 11:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

psirrized is an unknown
From what I hearing the UTEC can adjust or work with the stock boost controller, best bet is to contact TXS and get there advise.
If you do not have an Exhaust system you will want to pick up at least a rear-section exhaust. You will want a freeflowing system with the least amount of restriction, from intake to exhaust.
Oh yeah and pick up an up-pipe as well!

peace!
#4 Old 11-27-2002, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXdude is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by psirrized
From what I hearing the UTEC can adjust or work with the stock boost controller, best bet is to contact TXS and get there advise.
If you do not have an Exhaust system you will want to pick up at least a rear-section exhaust. You will want a freeflowing system with the least amount of restriction, from intake to exhaust.
Oh yeah and pick up an up-pipe as well!

peace!
psirrized, what you heard is 100% correct with your advised. I contacted a tuning shop in Fremont, Cali called ATP and confirmed
that there is no need for a boost controller if I install a UTEC. I'm thinking of getting a stage 2 which includes the Turbo back.
Thanks for your advise.

WRXdude
#5 Old 12-03-2002, 12:55 AM
TWS
WRXtuners Member

TWS is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TWS
If you're going to go with an electronic boost controller- go with the Blitz SBC-iD. It offers the best features, and is one of the best put together EBCs all around. If you dont want to spend that much money on an EBC- try the Blitz SBC-DC. It's a watered down version of the SBC-id, in the sense that it doesn't have all of the monitoring fatures of the iD.

If you're looking for a manual boost controller to satisfy the crave for boost, before you get the UTEC- look into the BoostValve.Com MBC. It's VERY reasonably priced, and doesn't promote any pressure dropping. I run it on my car, and I love it. You can't go wrong with it.
#6 Old 12-03-2002, 02:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

god02 is an unknown
It depends. If I'm upgrading the turbo unit I ALWAYS recommend EBC since it will react faster and control boost better than the UTEC or Unichip. If just using the tiny stock turbo you don't necessarily need it.

Dan
04 STi
#7 Old 12-06-2002, 10:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXdude is an unknown
Well, got the TurboXS stage 2 and up-pipe ordered, will stick with stock hair dryer for now so I will get neither manual nor electronic. We'll see how it goes from here for now. Will post pics once I get all the stuff.
Thanks for all you guy's input and opinion.

WRXdude