weak blocks? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 03-23-2005, 02:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful

just a wee bit late getting back to this conversation... sorry...

there is NO definite figure that anyone can quote to you of when your tranny will break, or when your block will break.. etc etc...

there are just SO many variables in the picture that are always different and changing.

The safe bet... don't exceed 300whp to expect any sort of 'longer' reliability.

if you are looking for the maximum possible mileage for the minimum possible cost... keep it stock, bone stock.

if you must have some additional HP, and are willing to part with a small amount of reliability... you know the first route... catless exhaust increased in diameter (uppipe too), or as close as you can legally get in your respective state, short ram intake, computer modification (go with one of the more respected ones, despite the added expense... UTEC, ECUTEK, etc....) intercooler upgrade, turbo upgrade (turbo must be accompanied with at least injectors and fuel pump in addition to everything listed prior to this), radiator upgrade is safety bet if you are going to a turbo any bigger than vf30 and psi any higher than 17-18lbs...

THEN, again if you are crunching dollars and need long mileage from you car, KEEP IT UNDER 18 PSI. that is important... at 22psi i'm ready for my block to kick the bucket at any time... and i try to go as easy on it as possible (but i'm not good at that )

have a spare ride and some spare cash if you're really trying to push the envelope here... its must. you can't be rushed to get that exhaust piece installed by sunday night ### you HAVE to drive you car to work... that's just no way to upgrade a performance car.

hold out on the tranny until it breaks, don't go trying to break it until you've got the $2000 or whatever to replace it with a better unit... that means as few 4500+ RPM launches as possible if you've got anything over 250 at the wheels....

Playa-- i knew it would only be a matter of time till you became a moderator here.... but who are you moderating? traffic is slim to none? jk... keep up the good work........ (i have to be nice-- i wouldn't want to see my 'reputation' meter hit the bricks-- hehe)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-23-2005, 04:24 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I will ban you. If you block shits the bed, what are you going to do? I don't know if you heard, but Tim w/ the blue STi who came up to Solon this summer, blew piston 4 now he is a built block. So that is the current project going on around here at the current time, but what do you plan on doing/getting if your block dies?
#18 Old 03-25-2005, 11:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Dragggn714 is an unknown
I was told from XS that a safe hp number on the tranny would be around 340whp. Again it's about how you drive. And this is not the maximum amount before it goes, just what they said to protect the longevity of the trans.
#19 Old 03-25-2005, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
I will ban you. If you block shits the bed, what are you going to do? I don't know if you heard, but Tim w/ the blue STi who came up to Solon this summer, blew piston 4 now he is a built block. So that is the current project going on around here at the current time, but what do you plan on doing/getting if your block dies?

Well... if you ask me, its already pissed the bed... compression check of my number #4 (closest to driver, right?) leaves it on the lower side of acceptable, per the Subaru WRX repair/maintenance manual... around 120psi... while the others are ranging from 142-147psi... the manual suggests anything more than a 7psi difference from cylinder to cylinder is over the maximum accetpable range, and indicate a bit of an issue... i'm thinking piston ring issue... sure its not fully blown by any means, it fires just fine, sounds a we bit funny... definitely looks a bit odd inside when you take the manifold off and look down in the head with a flashlight.. it just looked a bit 'dry' if you will, while all three other intake heads looked a wee bit different... strange. added some oil, boom the psi jumps back up a bit on compression test... could be a slightly tapped valve too... no way to know w/out a leakdown... and i'm not wasting my time with that until the situation is worse. the car still runs fine, is still quite quick, albeit not probably producing to its fullest capability. this cylinder will go, so its not a question of what will i do 'if'... its about 'when'..............

and this summer would be a very bad time... nicki and i are going to start building a new house in auburn in feb '06... so i'm trying to save all my dollars right now, and not blow them on my car

when it does go... i will let it sit until i have the cash and means to forge it, either a rebuild (which i don't like the idea of), or more likely i'll part with the cash and buy a block from AXIS, I-Speed, etc (think 2.5 baby )........... it all just depends.

what block did Tim go with? is it done yet? is he gonna go 'big', turbo-wise... that could be sweeeeettt!

anyways... STi is much better place to start... if i blew up an STi block, i would probably just rebuild, rather than go searching for another block... that's what makes the WRX harder to upgrade internally, as you're starting with so much less.