Water Methonal injection... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-25-2007, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Str8FrmDaCho is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Str8FrmDaCho
Water Methonal injection...

Im about to get a water methonal injection kit... i know i know ... but i just wanted to know some of the pros and cons to a methonal injection kit... if any cons thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-25-2007, 01:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
pros:
boosts octane
cooler intake charge (thus, granting the ability to tune more aggressively)

cons:
if your kit fails and you don't have a proper failsafe... BOOM! bye bye engine!
dependency on methanol (if you can't map switch)
complexity (there's a LOT more to wi than meets the eye)
increase in humidity (water will take up space where oxygen could've been)

If you haven't purchased a wi kit yet, PLEASE take your time and do your research before you do. Meth injection is dangerous if not integrated thoughtfully, so I urge you to know what you are doing before you do it. Don't just purchase any kit and throw it in your car (unless it's an Aquamist HFS-5) without knowing every one of its pros and cons.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-25-2007, 02:25 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
There was just in article in one of the tuner magazines saying how great they were. It really didnt go into the bad, but what is listed above is exactly what I have found when I first thought about it. I would only do something like that as a last resort after turbo and everything else has been upgraded.
post #4 of 23 Old 09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
You are also introducing a "solid" material (water or Meth) into your combustion chamber. This "Solid" material will NOT compress thus raising compression putting more stress on your internals and mostly bearings... By "Solid" I'm referring to water/meth dropless.

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #5 of 23 Old 09-25-2007, 03:33 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Im rebuilding an STI that ran out of meth and fried 2 pistons and the driver side head. its fairly safe unless you run out, i would suggest an level indicator light.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #6 of 23 Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
thats really odd, i have snow performance on my car and with a cobb ap, and with a protune, and with the meth map that i have it doesnt really run that much leaner im still about 12.5 with the meth map and 12.2 with out the meth, so its not that much leaner if you run out. and by time the water/meth go in the the cylinder its already so atomized that its no more bigger than your fuel droplets,
post #7 of 23 Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
meth injection to me is like right over that line you dont want to cross the line where way to much can go wrong way to fast
post #8 of 23 Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
im not going against you on that at all but for example on Snow Performances web site they say ( its insurance for your engine) meth isnt like nitrous how can you really go wrong with meth??
post #9 of 23 Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Like stated about, if you dont have a level indicator, or even have one and dont pay attention to it and your still trying to run that extra power the meth allowed you to have, kiss your engine goodbye. Its not really something you want to be constantly driving around town with, always having to stop and refill it. At least I wouldnt.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Like stated about, if you dont have a level indicator, or even have one and dont pay attention to it and your still trying to run that extra power the meth allowed you to have, kiss your engine goodbye. Its not really something you want to be constantly driving around town with, always having to stop and refill it. At least I wouldnt.
well if your worried about running out, just run it at the track or something, you dont always have to have it turned on. thats why i have two different fuel maps for my car, if im just on the street i turn my meth off, and switch my maps.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 AM

Didnt say not to, but that is a big subject and thing to know when looking into meth injection. Just letting the OP know this.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Oh yea, really to tell you the truth if i were to do it over i would of spent my money else where and got something else, i didn't really feel a really big power increase with it, i should of put that money toward bigger injectors lol
post #13 of 23 Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
BiggSean is running this and has seen great gains. Agreed he spent the money and did it right but this is something you dont want to skimp on.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #14 of 23 Old 09-26-2007, 01:54 PM

Are bigger injectores a good thing to do/upgrade before this? Im just wonering I have no first hand knowledge of it, but have read ALOT about it. Sorry for the slight thread jack.
post #15 of 23 Old 09-26-2007, 03:17 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
i didn't really feel a really big power increase with it

Which is why you are not that much leaner.. I'd say it's safe to say that you are not fully utalizing it to it's full potential..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement