Subaru WRX Forum banner

Water Methonal injection...

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  LiL Shoaf 
#1 ·
Im about to get a water methonal injection kit... i know i know:beatentod ... but i just wanted to know some of the pros and cons to a methonal injection kit... if any cons thank you

#2 ·
pros:
boosts octane
cooler intake charge (thus, granting the ability to tune more aggressively)

cons:
if your kit fails and you don't have a proper failsafe... BOOM! bye bye engine!
dependency on methanol (if you can't map switch)
complexity (there's a LOT more to wi than meets the eye)
increase in humidity (water will take up space where oxygen could've been)

If you haven't purchased a wi kit yet, PLEASE take your time and do your research before you do. Meth injection is dangerous if not integrated thoughtfully, so I urge you to know what you are doing before you do it. Don't just purchase any kit and throw it in your car (unless it's an Aquamist HFS-5) without knowing every one of its pros and cons.

#3 ·
There was just in article in one of the tuner magazines saying how great they were. It really didnt go into the bad, but what is listed above is exactly what I have found when I first thought about it. I would only do something like that as a last resort after turbo and everything else has been upgraded.

#4 ·
You are also introducing a "solid" material (water or Meth) into your combustion chamber. This "Solid" material will NOT compress thus raising compression putting more stress on your internals and mostly bearings... By "Solid" I'm referring to water/meth dropless.

#6 ·
thats really odd, i have snow performance on my car and with a cobb ap, and with a protune, and with the meth map that i have it doesnt really run that much leaner im still about 12.5 with the meth map and 12.2 with out the meth, so its not that much leaner if you run out. and by time the water/meth go in the the cylinder its already so atomized that its no more bigger than your fuel droplets,

#9 ·
Like stated about, if you dont have a level indicator, or even have one and dont pay attention to it and your still trying to run that extra power the meth allowed you to have, kiss your engine goodbye. Its not really something you want to be constantly driving around town with, always having to stop and refill it. At least I wouldnt.

#10 ·
well if your worried about running out, just run it at the track or something, you dont always have to have it turned on. thats why i have two different fuel maps for my car, if im just on the street i turn my meth off, and switch my maps.

#12 ·
Oh yea, really to tell you the truth if i were to do it over i would of spent my money else where and got something else, i didn't really feel a really big power increase with it, i should of put that money toward bigger injectors lol

#18 ·
meth can net you huge gains if you use it to its potential.

i agree it is dangerous but if you do it right it can be very effective and safe. the snow perfromance kits offer a failsafe that will revert to wastegate boost pressure if your it fails. the aquamist kit is the best IMO but also cost the most.

#20 ·
AAHHHHH!!!!! Im hearing so many mixed reviews on this its crazy... so i dont know who to believe!! But from what im hearing from the people that sound like they know what there talkin about if you run it properly with a level indicator light and a good fail safe it will give me a good amount of power safely??? or am i gonna fry my pistons tryin to run water/meth on a daily driver?? should i run two differnt maps and turn it off on the street??

#22 ·
if you run it properly with a level indicator light and a good fail safe it will give me a good amount of power safely???
That's right. Many people that have had horrendous experiences with meth had problems because they didn't take the time, effort and money to do things right (ie a good failsafe, low level indicator, etc.).

am i gonna fry my pistons tryin to run water/meth on a daily driver?? should i run two differnt maps and turn it off on the street??
Meth kits typically start spraying at higher loads, so unless you drive like a maniac, you won't be spraying as often as you might think. Lots of people have their kits setup to start spraying at around 7 psi. Think about it... how often do you pass 7 psi on your way to work? Although map switching capability is a great thing to have, it's not necessary. Even if you run out of meth, you can still drive around just as long as you don't push it.

#21 ·
If you get a GOOD setup with proper fail safes (both Pressure, and level) then it's not going to meld your motor down if your are properly tuned for it.. However it IS harder on your rod bearings which are weak to begin with in our motors.. However how much harder it is on them is still debated.. I'm not saying it will last your 10000 miles less or anything.. Meth or water is just like any other modification, it's going to shorten the life of your motor because your simply pushing it harder...

And injecting Meth or water into your combustion chamber will definitely raise your compression no matter the size of the droplets you are adding a non compressible additive into the mix..

#23 ·
Depending on your setup some will even detune them selves.. I know Phil told me that the Hydra and their Meth injection system will detune with there is either not enough meth pressure or volume.. "Almost" guaranteed not to blow it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.