Subaru WRX Forum banner

water injection or water i/c spray

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  REXronald 
#1 ·
opinions/experiences please on the better of the two mods...

Running TXS stage 4 and since started using short ram intake vs full length CAI (need to avoid the major water coming from fender well)... i've noticed on a bigger power difference between the cool weather days 35-55 degrees outside vs the hotter days of 70+ degrees outside.... car just dosn't kick as well when its so hot out... i have CO2 intercooler sprayer on the hyperflow TMI, but its just not practical to be constantly filling the bottle and using it up so fast....

So i'm thinking either water sprayer or a good quality water injection system.... anyone car to weigh in please.... money not really the big object here, quality and best total performance is.... i need to get that intake air cooled down upon entry more.... no knocks or anything, just not as powerful when its hot out there, its a bummer...

My guess is that water injection would be more effective than spray... of course both would be great, but i don't have that much money... :)

wrxtuner.com has what seems to be a quality injection system that mists very effectively (important for injection and i/c spray), but just not sure if injection is gonna require more involved tuning... (i don't think tuning is necessary with this mod, the car seems to do the job by itself in terms of what temp the air is coming in, and how strong the car pulls as a result, maybe i'm nuts, let me know if thats the case...

thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Cos

how can that be? Not that I'm doubting you, but when its 70 outside your saying the intake temps are not going to be 30 degrees hotter then when its 40 outside? Where is UTEC logging intake temps at... the MAF, or somewhere in the intake manifold?

I always thought it was the MAF... But that is definitely a point were you would see hotter intake temps if it was hotter outside, right, because its the relative beginning of the intake route....

anyways, thanks for the input... so you don't think the sprayer or the injector is all that worthwhile?

#5 ·
Why new map

whay make new map for the hotter days?

I'm ok with how the car runs when colder out (real real fast) and no knock at all...

And the car just has seemed a bit sluggish on the hotter days (still fast, just not the same as when its cold), and no knock at all...

Are you suggesting a more aggressive or less aggressive map for the hotter days,... if i make a less aggressive map, the car will be even slower and there's no point, it runs accpetinably in terms of the knock/EGT when hot out

#6 ·
Re: Why new map

REXronald said:
whay make new map for the hotter days?

I'm ok with how the car runs when colder out (real real fast) and no knock at all...

And the car just has seemed a bit sluggish on the hotter days (still fast, just not the same as when its cold), and no knock at all...

Are you suggesting a more aggressive or less aggressive map for the hotter days,... if i make a less aggressive map, the car will be even slower and there's no point, it runs accpetinably in terms of the knock/EGT when hot out
Also put into consideration that A/C makes the car sluggish.

#7 ·
a/c, what's that???

jk...

i know what a/c... and i never (or should i say very rarely) use it because i always want every little bit of HP the car has to put out....

i'm a bit obsessive about a good mix of form and function, i don't even run with the spare tire because its 20 more lbs of dead weight... of course, so is the damn fiberglass front and rear ground effects pieces, but that is sacrifice for good form, so ok in my book.

:eek:

and think i've addressed this issue mostly.... i forgot that last fall i had to crank down the ABC about 5-6 turns due to running in 35-40 degree weather and causing quite a high max boost level.... turning down the ABC fixed the prob at the time and car seemed just as fast.... now its hot again here and i've been slowly cranking the ABC back to its normal level of 5-6 turns more open.... i'm at about 4.5 turns right now and car seems to be right back where it should be in terms of good power response and the full pull of the VF turbo.... and now the boost gauge is again hitting the 17.5 mark in 3rd gear at about 4000 RPM.... so i'll consider prob solved for the time being...

thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.