wastegate spring and wastegate porting - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-10-2008, 04:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

imprezive591 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imprezive591
wastegate spring and wastegate porting

i wanna get the evo3 16g for my wrx. however i know i don't need over 20 psi of boost and like the info says...

"Keep in mind that this turbo is NOT for low boost applications (14psi -18psi). This turbo is intended to be operated in the 18psi to 22psi range. If you want to run it at a lower boost pressure, please special order your turbo over the phone so that we can add a low pressure actuator and additional WG porting to your order. Please also note that in some cases with very large off-road catless exhaust systems it may not be possible to keep boost under 20psi, so if your car is "illegal" or "off-road" in that sense, select the optional WG porting for low boost operation."

i'd like close to 300whp and prob go with 650cc injectors and fuel pump of course. i know this turbo would get me there. so my question is what wastegate pressure spring should i get? also should i get the optional wastegate porting? and most importantly will this get me close to my goal? btw i have an hks catless DP. couldn't i just get a boost controller and turn the boost down or do i NEED a low pressure wastegate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2008, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

midniteblack is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to midniteblack
just turning the boost down is not going to change the fact that you need a different wastegate actuator installed. call them and special order it for a low boost application like the info says.
#3 Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
close to 300whp...but it'd be a aggressive tune with probably a close to 20psi boost level. I'd think. Could be wrong. But, I'd think if you want that number...let the higher boost level on it. Why don't you want to go up to 20 psi? I'd figure the 18-20 psi range would be right about where you'd want it.
#4 Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't think your tune on that turbo is going to be 18PSI or less. I wouldn't worry about this that much.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

so 20psi would be alright on a stock internal motor with no meth/water injection? i'm guessing that is about the limit with out some sort of cooling? i wouldn't mind boosting 18-20 i just figured i could hit my figure w/o that much boost.
#6 Old 08-11-2008, 04:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Well, I'd hope you'd have the supporting mods. Like a bigger than stock 04 TMIC. A STI TMIC probably would be fine...but, I'm sure most people might say a larger than STI TMIC might help out more. Nevermind the other mods: larger injectors, fuel pump, TBE, and some sort of EM.
#7 Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezive591 View Post
so 20psi would be alright on a stock internal motor with no meth/water injection? i'm guessing that is about the limit with out some sort of cooling? i wouldn't mind boosting 18-20 i just figured i could hit my figure w/o that much boost.
I run 20psi on 93 octane no problems.You gonna be disapointed if your that wrapped up in hitting a "magic" number.Said it time and time again,there are so many variables.Altitude,ambient temp,humidity,supporting mods,tune,dyno and other smaller things like boost controler and compression of the engine.Before and after numbers on the dyno are more important than just looking at the max #'s.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#8 Old 08-12-2008, 09:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

yea i have the full exhaust setup, and i did forget to mention about the intercooler situation, and i'd deffinitally get another setup. and dumdum i only meant roughly 300whp. that sounds like a good number its just kinda stupid to say i wanna hit 290. And i totally understand all of the variables and such but i think my mark is attainable. as of now i have a cobb stage two with up pipe and cobb intake (no cats) so thats abougt 220whp if i'm not mistaken. so with the added fuel and 4+- psi of boost, not to mention another 30% cfm over stock. that should be about where i'd end up???
#9 Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 AM

Garage
It's not really the boost, it's the added flowrate of the larger turbo. You can make more power with a larger turbo at lower PSI than you can a smaller turbo at high PSI. There are lots and lots of other factors I'm leaving out but the point is don't equate boost to horsepower. They're not even close to related.

#10 Old 08-12-2008, 07:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

undoubtably true! and thats why i didn't think i needed to hit 20psi. wanted to keep it conservative. at least mildly conservative
#11 Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 PM

Garage
if you can't get at least 18PSI out of that turbo on the smallish EJ20 motor, you have problems somewhere with your setup.