Wastegate/flutter question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-11-2007, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Johnders2586 is an unknown
Wastegate/flutter question

Hey, I was doing a little reading on the forum and it got me to thinking, Ive noticed if I give my car some gas and let off slow I get a strange fluttering kind of sound (Normal?).. Would it be possible that I may need to adjust my waste gate? Also could this have something to do with that fact that my boost gauge only reads about 7 psi max in any gear? I think its just my gauge but I honestly donít know for sure checked a few things that people had suggested..
I would appreciate any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2007, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

koolpaul1082 is an unknown
from what your describing the fluttering sounds normal(your bov functioning probably relieving pressure inside the intake). i would check that boost out for sure though, maybe by purchasing a form of good engine management so you can read boost from another source or possibly just replace gauge so you can have peace of mind.
#3 Old 02-11-2007, 11:53 PM
XRT
WRXtuners Member

XRT is an unknown
For some reason above the subarus are known to flutter on some cars. I have a 02 wrx and I have the same problem. It is definately your wastegate. But a BOV seems to enhance the noise. This problem occured on my stock turbo and my vf 22. Please note they are both IHI turbos and they are known for the problem.

THE FIX:

Well you can try to adjust your BOV(if you can) by tightening the spring(or replacing it with a stronger spring. (this may work It may Not)

I know that if you send the turbo to Deadbolt Enterprises they can port the waste gate flapper and they sy this will take care of the problem(i opted to withstand the noise).

BUT WAIT

Just before you go to all that trouble You should find out why your car is not boosting, This is a possibility that your BOV could be stuck open and you would have a vac leak. This might also be caused the fluttering(Nothings for sure , just my input).

well I hope I have Helped!
XRT-XtremeRallyTuning
Josh Gastley
www.xtremerallytuning.com
josh@xtremerallytuning.com
#4 Old 02-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I didn't think the fluttering sound was a problem.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 02-12-2007, 07:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks everyone for ## feedback.. Ive had this boost problem since the day i bought it, the previous owner had also brought the car in(to the dealer) for low boost reading according to the service record on the car. It is the infamous lampco pos gauge. ive checked for leaks and i know my bov is staying shut, I had the stock bypass one switched w/ txs nothing changed. I really hope theres nothign serious wrong as far as im concerned the car seems to be at full of power but then again my buddies saab 9-3 w/ light mods is pretty much dead even with me and pulls a little bit on top end.. Ive heard it may be the boost senenoid and i may be running one only what the wastegate hold. I really have no idea but i dont have the money for em but i would like the piece of mind..
#6 Old 02-12-2007, 07:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

dont know how those ## got in there...
#7 Old 02-12-2007, 07:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

thatoneguy is an unknown
I would suggest checking to see what kind of boost your car is actually getting. I bought the el cheapo "equiis" boost gauge that Orielly's auto sells ### I didn't have one at all. I think it was like $35 or $40, but it seems to be accurate. I don't think a 9 3 should be that close even light modded, those cars are a little on the heavy side.

The flutter is not a problem. The wastegate on IHI turbos seem to cause this problem. You could try an aftermarket wastegate, but I would leave this alone before you create a problem. It really doesn't hurt anything. If it bothers you that bad you could always do a turbo swap, but that would cost a little and you would still need EM.
#8 Old 02-12-2007, 09:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

yeah i think i will break down and buy a cheap boost gauge see if it reads better..i think i may do cobb ap stg 1 with my tax return.. Im sure this has been gone over before but i dont suppose i can run stage 1 with my short ram and bov? Im guess probably not..
#9 Old 02-12-2007, 10:41 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRT
For some reason above the subarus are known to flutter on some cars. I have a 02 wrx and I have the same problem. It is definately your wastegate. But a BOV seems to enhance the noise. This problem occured on my stock turbo and my vf 22. Please note they are both IHI turbos and they are known for the problem.

THE FIX:

Well you can try to adjust your BOV(if you can) by tightening the spring(or replacing it with a stronger spring. (this may work It may Not)

I know that if you send the turbo to Deadbolt Enterprises they can port the waste gate flapper and they sy this will take care of the problem(i opted to withstand the noise).

BUT WAIT

Just before you go to all that trouble You should find out why your car is not boosting, This is a possibility that your BOV could be stuck open and you would have a vac leak. This might also be caused the fluttering(Nothings for sure , just my input).

XRT-XtremeRallyTuning
Josh Gastley
Stock turbo is a Td04-13T which is a Mitsubishi and has an adjustable wastegate arm.I agree its just the divertor valve as mentioned earlier,making normal noises.Porting the wastegate is for boost creep problems,not a fluttering wastegate.And the IHI's VF39 on the Sti and Td04 on the 06-07 2.5L WRX's generally have this problem(boost creep/wastegate needing porting),not the Td04's on the 2.0L WRX

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#10 Old 02-12-2007, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

I just really wish i could find out if theres somthing wrong or not its been driving me nuts for almost a year now..
#11 Old 02-12-2007, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
check and see if the ristrictor pill is installed in the line from the bcs. some idiot might have taken it out.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#12 Old 02-15-2007, 08:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

yeah the pill is there..There really doesnt seem to be any easy answer However, I was wondering, I seem to smell coolant alot after i drive but i dont see any leaking anywhere. I have noticed the overflow tank seems to go down slowly over time. could this possibly mean my turbo is bad? I dont smell it near the turbo but i dont know if i would anyways, its only got 60k on the car. i dont see any smoke or anyhting coming from the exhaust..
#13 Old 02-16-2007, 11:00 AM
XRT
WRXtuners Member

XRT is an unknown
I Have experienced fluttering with stock wrx turbo

I have a vh 22 now but it also happened when I used my tdo4. I'm not the only one either, I did just a little searching and came up with this naisoc thread

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=425018

If anyone else can support me in similar experience I would like to hear about it.

Thank You

XRT-XtremeRallyTuning
Josh Gastley
#14 Old 02-16-2007, 12:07 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRT
I have a vh 22 now but it also happened when I used my tdo4. I'm not the only one either, I did just a little searching and came up with this naisoc thread

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=425018

If anyone else can support me in similar experience I would like to hear about it.

Thank You

XRT-XtremeRallyTuning
Josh Gastley
On the Tdo4's all you have to do is adjust the wastegate preload.The wastegate arm is adjustable.On the VF22 you can use a helper spring.Are you still using the stock boost control solenoid?Wastegate fluttering does happen on stock turbos but your had mentioned porting the wategate which is a cure for a different problem and generally not on any 2.0L's.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#15 Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 PM
XRT
WRXtuners Member

XRT is an unknown
Exclamation Clearification

I would like to clearify a earlier statement I made on this subject.

Quote:
02-12-2007 12:53 AM
XRT For some reason above the subarus are known to flutter on some cars. I have a 02 wrx and I have the same problem. It is definately your wastegate. But a BOV seems to enhance the noise. This problem occured on my stock turbo and my vf 22. Please note they are both IHI turbos and they are known for the problem.

THE FIX:

BUT WAIT

XRT-XtremeRallyTuning
Josh Gastley
I spoke with Jerry Hagen (2/20/07) the owner of deadbolt and he said that they can {port the wastegate AND enlarge the waste gate flapper and upgrade the actuator all as a service he provides and that was what I am refering to. I am sorry about the confusion, But that is the fix for that problem. Sorry dumdum for getting you fired up , you are very knowledgable about subarus , thanks for calling out the error.
Thanks everyone

XRT-XtremeRallyTuning
Josh Gastley