Wastegate? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Lets try not to get too meta in this thread but basically we need to discuss the ideas and concepts independent of the people. If Person A says the sky is yellow, you can't disprove him by saying "Person A is wrong because he is not knowledgeable/smart/experienced/etc". Similarly, you cannot stand up and say "I'm right because I'm more knowledgeable/smart/experienced/etc". Those aren't arguments about the color of the sky, they're about the person you are discussing and that's not good. In any kind of formal discourse, these logical fallacies are not permitted.

With that, I'd really like to get back on the subject of external wastegates

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD

Last edited by mosc; 01-31-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
My Blouch TD06H-20G-XT turbo came with an internal wastegate, but I opted for a TiAL 38 mm ewg per the recommendation of my tuner. Not only did it make my car easier to tune, but the open dump tube sounds like an angry honey badger when I put the pedal to the metal.
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
#18 Old 01-27-2014, 11:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Again...you're no longer stock John. Thanks for the scenario. I'm using a EWG too, but its plumbed back into the exhaust. I'm not a fan of the open exhaust leak under the hood. But, for a larger turbo it does help more.
mosc likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#19 Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Garage
John's just a lazy ricer not routing his waste gate stream back into the exhaust :P
man show and BLAZE2099 like this.

#20 Old 01-28-2014, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Haha, to each their own. I just know I can't stand it spoiling my spool up. It's like a big...hey guess what's about to happen? Before you're turbo spools up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
#21 Old 01-29-2014, 08:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The faster and louder, the better!

There's no way I'd put an ewg on a stock turbo - that would be a ricer move for sure.
turmic and BLAZE2099 like this.

John
07 WRX
#22 Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Okay, I was going to keep my pie hole shut but, now I just can't. Why the hell are you guys so against a ewg on a stock turbo? I agree that in almost all cases it is not necessary but at the same time there's not a damn thing wrong with doing it if you want to as long as you properly tune for it. It is easier on your turbo, holds boost on a modified engine much better than the stock internal one, and the aftermarket uppipe to go with it usually has slightly better flow.

Ricer move??? Ill be the first to admit I have some Ricer in me but I also think a comment like "the louder the better" has rice written all over it. I do agree with your comment john....but hey, Im a Ricer.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#23 Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 AM

Garage
The internal gate isn't that bad, that's a gross exaggeration. It's also illegal and releases nitrogen oxide into the atmosphere, I know, minor point.

#24 Old 01-30-2014, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
The faster and louder, the better!

There's no way I'd put an ewg on a stock turbo - that would be a ricer move for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc
The internal gate isn't that bad, that's a gross exaggeration. It's also illegal and releases nitrogen oxide into the atmosphere, I know, minor point.
You guys really think that huh?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#25 Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oh jebus...look. A EWG does about two things that are good. Holds your boost at redline better and will dump the boost better than a IWG because it is bigger (that's what she said, lol). But, when it's dumped to the atmosphere it's basically a exhaust leak under your hood and that's not exactly legal in some places. For a small turbo its really not needed....it's so damn punchy already. It's more beneficial on a larger turbo than a quick spooling little baby turbo. So, no offense but its a waste of money on a small turbo. It's less hp then most power adder mods. Not to bark up the wrong tree....but for it's money it could be better spent else where unless you have a larger than stock turbo and are having choppy boost.

Kirt
#26 Old 01-31-2014, 01:23 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Oh jebus...look. A EWG does about two things that are good. Holds your boost at redline better and will dump the boost better than a IWG because it is bigger
Don't they hold boost much more steady through the entire rpm range? That's the reason I got one anyway. Not for any performance gains or the sound (which is pretty BA IMO). I was overboosting with a catless dp and tried tuning it out (with a bs tuner though). I wanted to stay catless. Didn't want to port my Iwg. Do you think a 3 port and a good tune would have been all I needed to fix it?

Also, I don't always do what the law says when it comes to my car

No offence taken. Nothing wrong with a little discussion to help better understand things. I would never take offence from you or any of our regulars. Your all very smart. :thumbup:

Sorry for jacking your thread all to hell op.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#27 Old 01-31-2014, 05:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
I was overboosting with a catless dp and tried tuning it out (with a bs tuner though). I wanted to stay catless. Didn't want to port my Iwg. Do you think a 3 port and a good tune would have been all I needed to fix it?
You answered your own question...Oh wait wrong thread I should be posting in the newbie section and learning about BOV and intakes...
boo-key bear and BLAZE2099 like this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#28 Old 01-31-2014, 05:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hahaha,
All I see is different opinions, for each their own.
I'm not seeing hate here, just good fun between comon members of our community. Stating their own beliefs on this specific topic.

Keep it coming! I'm being entertained!
boo-key bear and arewmors like this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#29 Old 01-31-2014, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Don't they hold boost much more steady through the entire rpm range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Holds your boost at redline better and will dump the boost better than a IWG because it is bigger (that's what she said, lol). Not to bark up the wrong tree....but for it's money it could be better spent else where unless you have a larger than stock turbo and are having choppy boost.
In a essence we are talking about the same thing here. Yes...it holds the boost better through the entire rpm range. But, the biggest thing is that it holds the high end better. Which is where most of the choppy boost normally lives...near the redline area. I'll give you one guess as to which kind of turbos have more problems with choppy boost. Read:" Not stock turbos!!! FOL."

Kirt