want more power, not sound - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-10-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jlagace is an unknown
want more power, not sound

i'm a month-old wrx owner now and the mod bug has hit me. i thought i'd be content, but the car's potential has consumed me.

i've been studying the boards and it seems the way to go is UP/DP/Exhaust and then fuel management. the problem is, as surprising as it sounds, i DON'T want the loud exhaust sound. i know alot of you might think i'm crazy for not wanting the boxer exhaust sound, but i've had exhaust on another car and i got tired of the droning and daily drivability of it.

so i was thinking about just UP and DP for now. will sticking with the stock exhaust negate the performance gains from the UP and DP? i don't want to get them if i'm still gonna be choked by the stock exhaust.

if so, is there a really quiet, well performing exhaust out there for me?

also what brand UP and DP are good. i've read some names floating around.. HKS, perrin, helix. i'm looking for best bang-for-the-buck, i'm a poor college student

02 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-10-2005, 04:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
don't worry about keeping the stock muffler, it won't hurt your gains. If i was you I would to UP, DP and EM, leave the stock cat back. If you don't have emissions to worry about get a catless, full length DP and mate it to the stock cat back. HELIX is a great choice for that. I have a VF34, TMIC, injectors, EM ETC ETC and i still have the stock cat back. I"m with you, i don't like the noise or the rice label that comes with it. I'd rather have a sleeper.

As for UP, i would even get a used one. Any of the name brands will fit, most important is have it propertly installed and property torqued, just get the cheapest one you can find.

I would get those two and some sort of flash, either ECUtek or Cobb protune would be on my list.

good luck!
post #3 of 6 Old 07-10-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jlagace is an unknown
thanks for the advice and quick response

it seems that the subaru boards are alot better than the honda-acura boards, alot more friendlier.

suby owners even give me a nod when i see them on the street, what a community
post #4 of 6 Old 07-10-2005, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
NP. yea the first time i noticed other rexers giving a wave or a nod i was quite impressed too. It's a different kind of community for sure!
post #5 of 6 Old 07-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaeater
NP. yea the first time i noticed other rexers giving a wave or a nod i was quite impressed too. It's a different kind of community for sure!
Don't let them fool you your in a Colt now.
Did you think about just getting the full Helix exhaust setup and keeping the silencer in to keep it quiet? or any exhaust that comes with a silencer or one of those "street" exhaust systems like Apexi world one exhaust?

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
post #6 of 6 Old 07-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Helix seems to be the cheapest route for DP. As for catback, the Borla Hush is very quiet, but still lets you hear a soft rumble from what I understand. Looks very stock too. Or you could try to use the stock muffler.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement