wanna take out STIs - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 07-15-2008, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
"Taking out STi's on a budget", sounds like an oxymoron to me. Let me know how that goes.

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Lol^^

12.7 @ 109
#18 Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

subarooster is an unknown
thanx a lot to all +reps so ok, if i get headers and uppipe as well as a full TBE, what else would be needed? atleast anything other than swapping turbos. tires are a must i know that i'm already looking some recomendations would be great 1 cuzz i kno nothing about them and 2 cuzz i really kno nothing about them. thnx
#19 Old 07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

With your exhaust mods you need a good tune first and for most. That will put you up to about 280hp at the crank give or take. Next upgrade really past that is turbo, fuel delivery and of course intercooler upgrade with that. Keep in mind our weakest link, the tranny is going to hold you back most of all beyond your exhaust and tune. You can see how expensive this is going to get and quick (Reason for my smart ass comment above). Trust me, we will be glad to spend your money and get you there, but its going to take a few duckets, eh? Cheers!

White Collar Hippie
#20 Old 07-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdrivercrl View Post
Might want to read through this, will help you a lot, good luck.
Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

(Hi moderator, not sure if it's fine to post a link to a thread of Nasioc. If it's not something that I should do, you are more than welcome to edit my post, thanks )
If the information is accurate, then there is no problem. I do it myself a lot.

With an 02, you'll gain little from headers unless you're going to be heavily modded. With headers, you're going to lose a lot of good mid end for a little top end power. With a TBE, uppipe, EM, and a good tune, you'll be comparable to an STi in a straight line. Typically, the next step after that is bigger turbo, injectors, fuel pump, and intercooler. Unfortunately as you can imagine, it can get very pricey.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#21 Old 07-15-2008, 05:25 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The STi has a 2.5L engine, you have a 2.0L engine. The STi has a VF39 turbo, you have a TD04 turbo. It also has smaller advantages due to a larger intercooler and injectors.

If you really want to have more power than an STi, you should address those things. They're more costly though.

The cheapest way to make more power in a WRX is a downpipe and some engine management. Period. Those two mods. Anything else does not give any substantial gains. Headers and an uppipe? I thought you said you were on a budget. Downpipes can be found used for <$200 and you can buy a $50 cable to flash an open source stage 2 map on your car. Should put down close to the same WHP as a stock STi.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#22 Old 07-16-2008, 01:16 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Wow, after reading this, of course all the great knowledge came out. But not a single person told the OP to read, learn and search first. Everything he asked for has been BEAT TO DEATH. I was very new to these cars also. Take time, search on here and other forums, and even google. Everything you want to do to your car has already been done, several times,several different ways. Im not trying to be hard, but search and learn sme before.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#23 Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

thnx Vew but wtf is EM?? is it engine management?? cuzz i thought that was the same as a tune. n sorry if i'm wrong please correct me (peacefully) if i am n i once again i really appreciate the help
#24 Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooster View Post
thnx Vew but wtf is EM?? is it engine management?? cuzz i thought that was the same as a tune. n sorry if i'm wrong please correct me (peacefully) if i am n i once again i really appreciate the help
em is engine management. You can have EM but not be TUNED. Take the cobb accessport for example. Its a device that flashes a software based map onto your ECU with different parameters of boost, fuel, timing, etc. Now they have developed safe base maps for each year/model that could can run on your car, BUT it's very generic. Having your car PROTUNED is when a professional is in your car (in most cases) either on the road or on the dyno tweaking all those parameters to best fit how your car responds to whatever modifications are installed. It usually takes from few to many revisions of the software, like trial and error, to get the best possible map scaling for your car. A protune is absolutely the best mod you could ever do, whether your at stock power levels or a built engine. Does that make sense?

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#25 Old 07-17-2008, 04:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

so the difference between engine management n a tune is that a tune is when it's professionaly done?? lol sorry i have no idea man
#26 Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Not quite. The difference is engine management is the means through which a tune is performed. Using a form of EM (cobb AP, opensource, UTEC, etc) you can flash a software map onto your ECU with different parameters (higher boost etc) ultimately making your car run stronger just through software. A tune (if you're skilled enough) can be done by anyone. It does not need to be performed by a Pro if you yourself have the ability. Tuning a car is basically altering the parameters on the piece of software to best cater to your individual car.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#27 Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rooster - Flashing a software map through EM is usually a generic file that is a more conservative that what you would get from a tune. A tune is custom to your car specifically and usually a bit more aggressive.

White Collar Hippie
#28 Old 07-17-2008, 10:16 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
EM = A means to change tuning
protune = A specific tune for your car

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#29 Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Sorry, I guess I should have explained. When I speak of EM, I do mean engine management. Of course, I assume you already know that the car needs to be tuned after installing EM, but I guess the term is used semi-loosely.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#30 Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd4life is an unknown
Haha, Basics for the layperson.

EM= The door to a house.
Tune= What you do in the house.