VF34 with Coob AP - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 08-17-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrx904 is an unknown
VF34 with Coob AP

In about a month I am going to buy the VF34, sti pinks, and a fuel pump. I was wondering if the Cobb AP will work good with this. And what kind of HP will I be at. I have a TBE, uppipe, turboxs tmic, and short ram intake. The Cobb AP is in the price range I want to stay in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-17-2005, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
VF34 map using 91 octane fuel. Requires VF34 turbo, STI injectors, stock intake, stock intercooler and turboback exhaust. 315HP / 295 ft-lbs. Cat Efficiency and EGT CEL's removed.

straight from http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport/ map list
post #3 of 26 Old 08-17-2005, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrx904 is an unknown
I saw that on Cobbtunning but is that 315hp and 295ft-lbs at the wheels or the crank, because turboxs and there stg 4 "with the only differance being the TXS UTEC from my set up" 368hp to the crank and that with out the TMIC. I don't have a stock air box, I bought the car with a sr intake. If 315hp is at the crank with the cobb AP thats a joke with that setup. I would expect 275whp with VF34, sti pinks, fuel pump, TBE, uppipe, TXS TMIC, and a EM. But please give advise, I don't want to buy the wrong parts.
post #4 of 26 Old 08-18-2005, 02:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
that would be at the crank, but that is also a conservative tune for eveyone. You could get it pro-tuned and get more out of it.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

wingless is an unknown
I've been running about the identical set up for a while now except for headers & intake (stock with Perrin filter, silencer delete elbow & IC hoses). My VF34 came from deadboltspeed.com with their "Monster Port" port & polish job which I feel was well worth the extra cash. I'm using the 93 oct map which Cobb says is 315HP but I have no idea what I'm actually putting down. As soon as I get my 4EAT rebuilt she's going on a 4-wheel dyno & we'll see... I'm hoping for close to 300 at the wheels. Doesn't really matter, she runs like a scalded cat anyway!

Speaking of VF34's I just got back from my first long road trip with the new turbo (Va to Myrtly Beach SC) Long stretches with the cruise on 78. Stock turbo was getting about 23 mpg on road trips but VF34 got 28! Thrashing it around home the stock got about 20 mpg but the VF34 gets around 17 (but that's some pretty serious pedal mashing). Was surprised that bigger turbo got better highway mileage, but it keeps me out of the boost more than stock. But it's soo much fun watching tht needle tickle 20 pounds every once in a while!
post #6 of 26 Old 08-19-2005, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrx904 is an unknown
I think I will go with the Cobb AP and save some more money and get the street tuner.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-19-2005, 10:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

westr79 is an unknown
i`m glad somebody brought this up because i have the A/P stg2,helixs up/dp,kn drop in,bola ex,and i`m fixin to put a vf34,sti pinks,fuel pump,perrin fuel rails,and i was wondering what kind of power i would have?i was thinking of getting the steet tuner to.any ideas?
post #8 of 26 Old 08-22-2005, 11:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Orbit is an unknown
is funny that you say that, because i have a freind that also has the cobb vf34 map he is not running any leaner but is getting better gas milage . as far as power goes i ran a 13.0 with mycobb stage 2 and he pulls hard on me on the higway.but he is having a hard time launching with the increased lag.im sure just a matter of time till he's beating me there too.

[/QUOTE]
Speaking of VF34's I just got back from my first long road trip with the new turbo (Va to Myrtly Beach SC) Long stretches with the cruise on 78. Stock turbo was getting about 23 mpg on road trips but VF34 got 28! Thrashing it around home the stock got about 20 mpg but the VF34 gets around 17 (but that's some pretty serious pedal mashing). Was surprised that bigger turbo got better highway mileage, but it keeps me out of the boost more than stock. But it's soo much fun watching tht needle tickle 20 pounds every once in a while![/QUOTE]
post #9 of 26 Old 08-23-2005, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
i would recommend getting a protune, the bigger the turbo/more the mods the more important a custom tune becomes. the 315 BHP is a conservative estimate from cobb (as are all of their estimate of HP) which translates into about 240 WHP, most people baseline between 240-260 with the OTS mapping, and end up between 250-275 with the pro tune.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-23-2005, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrx904 is an unknown
I would rather get a pro tune but there is no one within probably 200 miles of jacksonville florida that does a pro tune. I looked at the list on cobbtuning.
post #11 of 26 Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

then i would look into other tuners that tune with ECUtek or that have the ability to tune with the street tuner. The base ap maps are ok temporarily, but don't kid yourself into thinking the map is good forever, when you upgrade your turbo it is IMPORTANT you have your car tuned to your specific mods/car.
post #12 of 26 Old 08-23-2005, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrx904 is an unknown
Hondaeater, you probably know the mods that I have and that I am going to get so which ECU mod do you think would give me the most power. After I get the VF34 thats it I am not going to upgrade again. I was thinking I could get about 375 "at the crank" with the cobb street tuner and that setup. A guy at subaru in Jacksonville that has the same setup except he has the ECUTek told me he has 375. He told me that he would sell me the ECUTek and 2 maps for $800. But, I really do not understand how the ECUTek works. I just feel like with the cobb street tuner I will have more freedom than the ECUTek.
post #13 of 26 Old 08-23-2005, 11:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

you are right, You will have more freedom with the street tuner, because it's usertunable, and ECUtek right now is not (although they keep talking about a user tunable version, anytime now. . . ). Even if you never wanted to tune the thing yourself, or never wanted to datalog (which is sooo easy with street tuner BTW), or never wanted to monitor a live ECU in action, You can still bring the ST software to any reputable tuner and they will be able to use it to tune your subaru in ways they've never thought possible if they've never used this type of program before. I say get the street tuner, learn the basics about tuning and about your car with it, and then take it to a pro tuner.

I personally wouldn't spend 800$ on maps that were generated for someone elses car. They might work fine, they might work like dog crap. Are you willing to spend 800 smackers on that kind of gamble?

Lastly, A vf34 setup will generate WHP numbers in the mid to high 200's, then divide that estimate by .76 (76%, assumes a 24% drivetrain loss), and you get your ~375 BHP.
post #14 of 26 Old 08-24-2005, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrx904 is an unknown
ya, there is no way I would spend $800 on two maps. I am going to go with the street tuner. I think it will be just as good as all the other EM's. 375hp is all I need then it will be time to work on the body and car audio. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-24-2005, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
Guy on another forum posted that he drove 3 hrs (texas time...lol) to get a pro-tune on his vf34 cobb stage 2.5 car. The tuner said it was running great and he could MAYBE squeez another 10 hp from his setup. He dynoed 272awhp with stage 2.5 cobb map and alittle less mods i have (for now).
BTW, i will have a vf34, sti inj and maybe my hyperflow tmic on nasioc within 2 weeks. ALL ARE in FANTASIC cd.
The vf34 is a good turbo as are the 16g and 18g. Depends on youre price range and how you plan to tune them, available options. IMO, the utec and ap are both proven performers. if you have an auto, the ap may be the better option.

paste
" i have been at 2.5 for about a year and a half, once pro-tuner came out I drove 480 miles to the nearest tuner (FI-systems in Mckinney, TX) once he dyno'd it it made 272hp and 248tq. I have the basic cobb setup + APS TMIC, fuel pump, lightweight pulley. He told me everything was perfect and I didn't need the tune."

Last edited by RPFRIDE; 08-24-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement