Subaru WRX Forum banner

vf 34 or 39

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
i dunno which one to get. have 2005 wrx and my turbo is goin bad and need a new one. car has 76,000 miles. i dont know which one to get. want more power but not to much where its gunna be lessening the life of my motor. help!!!! found a kit with the 34 with injectors and fuel pump for $1,400. HELPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
the VF39 is fairly small turbo with a limited wastegate. The VF34 is a bigger turbo (though, hardly large) and it is a more advanced design with helps keep spool from getting much slower than the VF39.

VF39s are easy to find used because they came stock on 04-07 STis. VF34's are mostly bought new which costs a whole lot more.

That said, I prefer TD05 based Mitsu turbos for the EJ20 WRX's. They spool fast and can make great numbers.

EDIT: Oh, and in addition to the turbo, fuel pump, and injectors (assuming it's already stage 2), you'll also want a larger intercooler.

#7 ·
the VF39 is fairly small turbo with a limited wastegate. The VF34 is a bigger turbo (though, hardly large) and it is a more advanced design with helps keep spool from getting much slower than the VF39.

VF39s are easy to find used because they came stock on 04-07 STis. VF34's are mostly bought new which costs a whole lot more.

That said, I prefer TD05 based Mitsu turbos for the EJ20 WRX's. They spool fast and can make great numbers.EDIT: Oh, and in addition to the turbo, fuel pump, and injectors (assuming it's already stage 2), you'll also want a larger intercooler.
MOSC,

Would that be a good choice, if you just wanted a little more kick out of the car. But without making any huge amounts of Tq (wrx gears:eek:)

#10 ·
You can brake the tranny at stock levels, you can have the tranny last fine for 50k miles at 350whp. It's all in how you drive it. There is no specific whp under which you can beat the hell out of it and 1whp above, it'll break on the first shift, sorry.

I think the TD05-16G is the perfect turbo for the EJ20 but that's just my personal tastes. I like a quick spool and a fat torque curve for spirited driving around town. As Stacy used to say, it's the turbo Subaru should have put on there from the factory in the first place.

#11 ·
You can brake the tranny at stock levels, you can have the tranny last fine for 50k miles at 350whp. It's all in how you drive it. There is no specific whp under which you can beat the hell out of it and 1whp above, it'll break on the first shift, sorry.

I think the TD05-16G is the perfect turbo for the EJ20 but that's just my personal tastes. I like a quick spool and a fat torque curve for spirited driving around town. As Stacy used to say, it's the turbo Subaru should have put on there from the factory in the first place.

I didnt know that was the 16G. Now is that the "big" 16G, or just the reg 16G? Because I have heard people mention "big 16G and "16G".

#14 ·
I just upgraded my 06 to the vf39 turbo. I got it protuned, it throws down 290whp, and 296wtq. The increase was great and im happy with it and i ended up spending a total of 700 bucks and then the tune. Hopefully the tranny will last more than 50k miles while at 350hp like mosc was saying. Tuner was telling me the wrx tranny can be tuned up to 330awtq before he considers it the "redzone" from about 300-330 he considers it a yellow zone, and below that it should be reliable. People come in to the tuning shop telling him to push 20psi and that they are not worried about the tranny, so the last guy was hitting 370awtq before gears started flying everywhere.

#15 ·
yes but as mosc was saying it all depends on how many miles are on the tranny and how hard it is pushed. so if somone shifts vary smoothly and dosn't ram on the gas all the time the tranny could last a vary long time but if it's a track car then it could go fast.

#16 ·
If you were to str8 line two exact wrx's, one with a VF34(my perference) and a Evo III 16G, who would win? Which spool quicker? Which will give the best power curve? I've read such great things about the two i'm stuck. I also like to do my spirited driving around so spool is important too but i wish the damn car had more up top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.