VF-22 setup; Yay or Nay? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

KawBoyz11 is an unknown
VF-22 setup; Yay or Nay?

Hey guys been a while since I've been on, but had a quick question for the masses. There's a guy in my area selling the following parts: used Vf22(he said around 16,000 miles on it), Perrin V1 fuel rail new in box, Sti pink injectors new in box, Sti O-rings new and a used Supra fuel pump. He's selling these items as a package deal only and is asking $1200 dollars OBO. First, do you guys think it is a good buy? If so, what other parts would I need to complete this setup? And if it isn't a good steup, would it be a good idea to buy the parts and then re-sell them in hopes of making more money off it? Thanks in advance for the input.

P.S. I drive a 2004 WRX that is currently at Cobb Stage 2, and has about 68,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Well...Is he selling his car or something? Stepping up to a bigger turbo? The VF22 has the largest HP out IHI turbo. But, the P20 exhaust housing will mean it spools up significantly slower than other IHI turbos. So, It depends on what your looking for. I don't know, I'd say that turbo should need larger injectors than pinks, and a STI or bigger TMIC would be a good idea. If you wanted to truely make that turbo work to its peak performance.

IHI VF Turbos Info

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Only problem with the VF22 is that it's the largest VF turbo, and you have a 2.0... Yes the turbo is cable to 400-450 hp, but the 2.0 may have some pretty bad lag with it. Plus the pink injectors might not even be enough to push the turbo to what it wants to do. If you want to go for a turbo and want to stick to IHI, take a look at the VF34 or VF35. Both have good spool characteristics and will give you more flow than your stock unit.

I say pass on the offer, but you may be able to flip it for a bit more, but not much (maybe 13-1400 if you find the right buyer)

-Chris
post #4 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
the only thing I can say is that's a helluva deal and you could probably push the low 300awhp range with that set up (if the injectors don't max out)...the only thing is you better get that turbo inspected b/c if the seals or bearings are gone then its worthless because the IHI VF series are non-rebuildable

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #5 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You would also have to modify (if it hasnt already) the fuel pump to work in the subie tank.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

KawBoyz11 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
the only thing I can say is that's a helluva deal and you could probably push the low 300awhp range with that set up (if the injectors don't max out)...the only thing is you better get that turbo inspected b/c if the seals or bearings are gone then its worthless because the IHI VF series are non-rebuildable
I thought it was a pretty good deal too but wanted to get opinions on it first. I figured if it wasn't a good setup for my car then I could sell parts individually and make my money back and then some.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-21-2010, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
and in addition to what i said before...the supra pump should just drop on in...I took our old supra walbro when we went to dual aeromotives and ran it in my old stage 2 DD sedan

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #8 of 8 Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

phatmike0704 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phatmike0704 Send a message via Yahoo to phatmike0704
i say grab a big 16g or evo 16g. better spool, more power and rebuildable. i just personally wouldnt grab an ihi turbo. a lot more options on turbos. look into meth if u do the vf22, im lookin into it for my 16g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement