Urgent Help Please! No Boost! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-08-2009, 04:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

clord05wrx is an unknown
Urgent Help Please! No Boost!

Ok guys so I got the 06 STi intercooler and it was running fine. Im driving to the shore for the weekend and as Im driving I need to pass a car while in 5th gear so I hit the gas and I believe I boost spiked. The car shut down for a second the CEL came on and then the car started taking gas again. Made it to the shore fine the car got parked. When I left yesterday there was no boost I thought a line may have come loose. Today made sure all the lines were connected and everything is fine. Also my friend has an 06 WRX so we used his stock BPV to check to make sure my BOV wasnt leaking and Im still getting no boost. My boost gauge shows vacum and when I accelerate it goes up to 0 but then no boost. PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !Cry!!Cry!!Cry!

Chucks stage 2 WRX tuned by Ray @ TurboTekTuning.com
16G it's so pretty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

clord05wrx is an unknown
Also could this be the boost solenoid?????

16G it's so pretty
#3 Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Possible that its the solenoid, but you should still be getting wastegate pressure. When I got my car tuned the BCS was stuck shut, but was still getting abuot 10PSI off the wastegate. Might have to pull the turbo and look at it to make sure it didnt lock up on you. Can you still hear it spooling up or not?

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

clord05wrx is an unknown
yea i can still hear it spooling.

16G it's so pretty
#5 Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Is the CEL still on? Did you get it read? Is your car in limp mode?

You should downshift to 4th (or 3rd) if you want to accelerate quickly unless you're already going like 100 mph.
#6 Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
Your car is probably just in limp mode from the boost spike if that was the issue. Easiest fix is to disconnect your negative battery cable, step on the brake a couple times and wait a few minuets to reset the ecu. I have had this happen once to my car but i was still making 8psi on a stage two map when it happened. All I did was reset my ecu with my accessport and it was all better.
#7 Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Or you have a boost leak.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#8 Old 09-09-2009, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

clord05wrx is an unknown
the CEL went off by itself. Checked for all leakes put new clamps on everything. No leaks found and checked with a working stock BPV. Going to try and reset the ecu. Thanks for the input guys.

16G it's so pretty
#9 Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

clord05wrx is an unknown
Tried the ECU reset to no avail. Next option guys????

16G it's so pretty
#10 Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
check the inlet of your turbo. Pull the turbo inlet hose and check inside the turbo inlet to see if the compressor wheel is rubbing. You might have a bad turbo.

Did you ever replace your uppipe? Could be a chance that a piece of the cat broke off and messed up your turbo.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#11 Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

bob450 is an unknown
I had the same problem.. couldnt find what was wrong, finally discovered that the ceramic/metal core in the uppipe came loose and lodged itself up right under the turbo, put an aftermarket catless uppipe on and solved
#12 Old 09-03-2010, 02:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
some times I really wonder why Subaru put a cat in the early up-pipes...

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#13 Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
...taken from wrxinfo.com:

"The main purpose of the up pipe cat is to keep cold start emissions low until the main catalytic converters warm up. Using a catless uppipe is a violatation of section 203 of the Clean Air Act. Each state has statutes that cover this subject as well. There have been no known reported cases of catless uppipes causing state emissions test failures."

...so everybody who's running a catless up pipe is breaking the law!!! See you all in jail. Oh NoeZ!!! :eek: Hahahah

I'd be willing to bet that Subaru started using catless up pipes because they do still have two after-turbo cats, so that's probably sufficient to comply with U.S. emissions standards. They probably also realized that the up pipe cat material can break apart over time and cause turbo failure and other major damage, which could cost them lots of money in the long run if they had to keep making such repairs under warranty. That also reinforces the idea that it's good to wait a few years after new car models come out to buy them - wait for the companies to iron out the kinks in the design and whatnot. Read: nobody buy the 2011/12 STi. Wait until 2013/14 at least.

Here's evidence: look at the changes that were made to the 2008 WRX and the 2004 STi. Are they bad cars? No. Are the models that followed "better?" Arguably, yes.

Now that I've gotten extremely off topic, I'll stop.

John
07 WRX
#14 Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Puma03 is an unknown
Hey the same thing is happening in my 03 right now. I recently put in a new engine due to engine damage from the previous owner. It wasnt pulling full boost and found that my cat was flying into my turbo (16g). I put in an Invidia up-pipe and downpipe this past weekend. The cat had frozen up my turbo but we were able to release it by blowing some compressed air through it and it sounded fine. Put it all together and found the turbo inlet boot was shot to hell. After driving it I am still having the same problems as you were. It stays at 0 psi and wont go any higher. I am planning on replacing the inlet boot. But I am wondering how much damage the cat might have done to the turbo even though it seemed alright after we did some work on it? Any insight?
#15 Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Did you take the turbo out and check the shaft on it ? More can happen to a turbo than just the wheel.

I said shaft... ha

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3