Uppipe replacement (no cats) on WRX - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 02-21-2008, 11:37 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I think it was nagyhead who was commenting that he used to see one car a month come through or something that grenaded a turbo on fragments of the EGT sensor.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
yes sir, you dont want to put that probe in there. we had a customer that we swapped out a 20g on his wrx and insisted that we put the EGT back in. we told him its not a good idea because it could break off, but he still wanted it in there. so i put it back in swapped his turbo and when we were tuning it on the dyno, guess what happed. the look on his face was priceless when it broke the turbo. I only felt a little bad because we told him not to do it, lets just say it was a very expensive decision.

BTW I quit my job there yesterday because the owner decided that i should work for free.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#33 Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

04WagonRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
The resistor in the picture is 2.2kohm but it's not really possible to judge the wattage rating. The markings are "2" (first red band), "2" (second red band), "x1000" (third orange band), "gold tolerance" (fourth gold band).

in other words, it's says it's a decent quality 2.2kohm resistor.

Any power rating should work. 12v over 2.2kohm is V^2/R watts which is 12^2/2200 which is 65 milliwatts so even a quarter watt resistor is more than enough.
I know this thread is old, but I came across it when looking for info. on swapping out my catted up-pipe for a non-catted STI one.

I wanted to make a correction to the above post so people don't get confused...

All recommendations for the resistor to use is 2.2Kohm which in proper color code for resistance value is...RED-RED-RED-GOLD

"2" (first red band), "2" (second red band), "x100" (third red band), "+ or - 5% tolerance" (fourth gold band)

The color bands stated in the quoted post with the third band being orange would make a 22Kohm resistor which is much larger than needed.
#34 Old 12-21-2011, 12:56 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You know, on my new monitor it clearly looks red. On my old one, definitely orange. lol.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#35 Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

04WagonRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You know, on my new monitor it clearly looks red. On my old one, definitely orange. lol.
haha...no big deal! I just thought I would clear it up, since some people find electrical/electronics quite confusing.