uppipe installtion guide = scary !!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
uppipe installtion guide = scary !!!

So i finally found a nice looking guide for an uppipe installation on a 04 wrx, much like my wrx. and it scared me a bit. first off, im mechanically inclined. i have a nice set of tools, jacks, stands, ramps you name it. only thing is after reading this write up it involves taking off the intercooler, jacking up the engine, taking off the passanger side header etc. it looked like a bigger job then i had assumed for the uppipe removal/installation. ill probably have a couple of my buddy's come over and help me bust this out but im just a little worried about doing it. im really good at keeping track of all my bolts etc. i dont know why, i guess its just something new.

any encouragement would be great. id also like to hear some of your stories about uppipe installtion. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

normy3 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to normy3
its not that hard you dont have to lift the motor althought it might be easier. you have to take out the turbo and probly the intercooler then the belly pan and heat shield over the uppipe and conecting to the headers and you can get it out it that way its a tight fit to get out though.
hope this helps some.
#3 Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I've done it twice, and it's not that bad. First time, plan on about 6-7 hours, 3 bloody knuckles and a few well chosen expletives, but one happy car when you're done.

Get good gaskets (OEM) ask me how I know .... ... ..
#4 Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
did a grimmspeed uppipe ewg instal with my buddy on jack stands. was kinda a pain in the ass, the turbo doesnt need to come off. the engine did need to be lifted in my case and the intercooler definitely has to come off along with the downpipe. plan on 8 hours or so. be prepared with good gaskets and wd-40. really isnt that bad. once you do it, you will be so glad you didnt pay to have it done.
#5 Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
Yes, it is a PITA for sure. I was able to take the uppipe out from the topside after removing the downpipe and the EGT sensor on the uppipe. No unbolting or jacking up the engine! Removing the EGT sensor was not an easy task, but do it after it's unbolted from the exhaust manifold and turbo and the pipe comes right out. And as wagonracer stated, you will need to get new gaskets. You may not need them but it would be terrible to do a 5-8 hour job and realize you have a leak and need to go back in there. They're only $15 each @ a dealership.
#6 Old 01-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I did it once but I did jack the engine up. I suggest if you can do it without doing so to do it.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 02-14-2009, 02:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
uppipe installtion guide = scary !!!

i attempted to install my uppipe tonight and i decided that its not going to happen tonight. i spent atleast 5 hours of being frustrated, not to mention i ran out of wd-40 lol. But tomorrow is a new day so im going to sleep on it tonight and get that shit done in the morning (hopfully)
#8 Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I think you posted in the wrong thread 04wrxhart... I moved your post here.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#9 Old 02-14-2009, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
its a little motivating to get the car to the point of no return where you have no choice but to continue. good luck with it all.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#10 Old 02-15-2009, 12:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
so in the end the uppipe did not get the best of me !!! i got it done today. it took a good 8 hours but it was fun as hell and i wouldnt have it any other way. jackin the engine up was probably the scariest thing ive ever done in my life. seeing the engine raise just didnt sit right with me lol. im really looking forward to buying a DP and installing that next i cant wait. on the side note, when i started my engine and let it warm up i got a little scared. all the wd-40 i blasted my bolts and nuts with began to burn off and i thought it was a leak at first. but i could tell by the smell that it was not exhaust. at the end of the day i have no cel's and no leaks and the sence of pride i earned from installing this myself is huge. the only thing i had to modify were my heat sheilds. the one for the header covering the O2 sensor i cut so i could put the o2 sensor back in with the heat sheild off. it made the job alot easier considering i dont have an o2 sensor socket lol. i had to cut the heat sheild on the passanger header as well. the flange on the new Uppipe were a little bit bigger than my old one and it would not fit. Oh and the studs for the new turbo inlet side of the heat sheild were a bit long so i had to grind away the 2 on the back side of the turbo for my DP to fit back on. So id like to wish everyone in the future that attempts this install, good luck and id be more than happy to help anyone with any questions they might have. i did have alot of moments but i thought them out and got it done.
#11 Old 02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Congrats man, I'm glad you got it done.