Subaru WRX Forum banner

Uppipe install question

32K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  wagonracer 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if an uppipe install is something I can do myself. Please correct me if I'm wrong... I need to remove the intercooler, exhaust, and turbo, at which point I can remove the uppipe from the top. Any suggestions/advice?

#2 ·
Yes that is one way to do it. The other way is to do it from the bottom by pulling the exhaust manifold. Only three bolts around the turbo are for the uppipe itself i think. Just make sure if you do it from the bottom to get a new gasket set. And if you do take the turbo off. Be careful with the inlet it tends to rip.

#3 ·
If you do remove it from the bottom you have to loosen the passenger side motor mount and jack the motor up a bit to get it out..When I did mine I did it that way and never had a issue. Worst part is getting the darn O2 sensor out...You will have to pull the tire off and remove the inner fender part where the O2 sensor ans up-pipe bolts connect to the exhaust manifold.

#6 ·
From the top is how i did mine its prob a little easier from the bottom. You will have to pull your ic which isn't bad but getting it back on can be a headache. You will prob have to take your air box (if you still have one) and your turbo. I did a full turboback and uppipe at the same time so mine ran well into the late night hours til i got sick of it then finished up the next morning. I basically just tore it down and bolted the turboback up that night and saved the tough part for the next day. And yes you will need to pull the sensor either way. A little tip for ya. Cut a slot in the lower heat shield while you have it out so you don't have as much trouble if you ever need to pull it back off. Trust me. Do a search on you tube there is a really good how to vid on there...even if the guy makes it look like its super easy.

#14 ·
I just did a grimmspeed uppipe install from underneath the car and its not hard at all. The hardest part was removing the heatshields. I removed the passenger manifold and crosspipe, then jacked the motor up and the OEM up pipe pulled right out( yes I skipped many steps). If it wasn't for the heatshields its probably a 2 hour job with one person but it took me 4.5 hours on my back with no help.

#22 ·
Yeah, I believe it is 1/2 watt 2.2 ohms. Got mine at radio shack.

Not fixing storm damage...... I got a job at a dealership in Vt. as a tech, possibly moving to service writer after a few weeks, but there is possibly something much cooler on the horizon (in Connecticut) I won't say anymore yet, as I don't want to jinx it :cool: I'll know at the end of next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.