Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   Uppipe install question (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/uppipe-install-question-31255/)

mfarnham 08-27-2011 08:56 PM

Uppipe install question

I'm trying to figure out if an uppipe install is something I can do myself. Please correct me if I'm wrong... I need to remove the intercooler, exhaust, and turbo, at which point I can remove the uppipe from the top. Any suggestions/advice?

bad grocerygetter 08-27-2011 09:01 PM

Yes that is one way to do it. The other way is to do it from the bottom by pulling the exhaust manifold. Only three bolts around the turbo are for the uppipe itself i think. Just make sure if you do it from the bottom to get a new gasket set. And if you do take the turbo off. Be careful with the inlet it tends to rip.

psinuse 08-27-2011 09:13 PM

If you do remove it from the bottom you have to loosen the passenger side motor mount and jack the motor up a bit to get it out..When I did mine I did it that way and never had a issue. Worst part is getting the darn O2 sensor out...You will have to pull the tire off and remove the inner fender part where the O2 sensor ans up-pipe bolts connect to the exhaust manifold.

RcrsWetDream 08-27-2011 10:04 PM

Pull it out the bottom. You'll have to take off the DP and exhaust mani, jack up the engine, and it'll come out.

mfarnham 08-28-2011 08:30 AM

Does the o2 sensor have to be removed either way? Or only if you're removing the exhaust mani?

How hard is it to remove the turbo? I don't have a heat shield.
Installing the uppipe from the top sounds like it'll be easier.

bad grocerygetter 08-28-2011 08:50 AM

From the top is how i did mine its prob a little easier from the bottom. You will have to pull your ic which isn't bad but getting it back on can be a headache. You will prob have to take your air box (if you still have one) and your turbo. I did a full turboback and uppipe at the same time so mine ran well into the late night hours til i got sick of it then finished up the next morning. I basically just tore it down and bolted the turboback up that night and saved the tough part for the next day. And yes you will need to pull the sensor either way. A little tip for ya. Cut a slot in the lower heat shield while you have it out so you don't have as much trouble if you ever need to pull it back off. Trust me. Do a search on you tube there is a really good how to vid on there...even if the guy makes it look like its super easy.

wagonracer 08-28-2011 09:11 AM

Having done it both ways, I have to say that doing it from underneath is easier. I'm in Leominster for now, and could maybe give you a hand.

psinuse 08-28-2011 09:28 AM

[quote=wagonracer;266775]Having done it both ways, I have to say that doing it from underneath is easier. I'm in Leominster for now, and could maybe give you a hand.[/quote]

*snicker*:p

wagonracer 08-28-2011 09:34 AM

No other way to word it :o

mfarnham 08-28-2011 12:09 PM

In my head it sounds so much simpler to do it from the top. Is it really that simple to unbolt the exhaust mani and jack up half the motor?

psinuse 08-28-2011 01:06 PM

Yes it is. Trust me when you get into removing the turbo you have all sorts of other issues to deal with.

mfarnham 08-28-2011 01:18 PM

Ok so basically, remove the o2 sensor and exhaust manifold, loosen the engine mount and jack it up, and that's it? I guess that does sound a lot simpler.

psinuse 08-28-2011 02:06 PM

Loosen the up-pipe bolts from the turbo and the exhaust manifold. It's actually pretty straight forward.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJSxMBCMDCU"]GrimmSpeed Up Pipe Install - YouTube[/ame]

Kamotors 08-31-2011 05:33 PM

I just did a grimmspeed uppipe install from underneath the car and its not hard at all. The hardest part was removing the heatshields. I removed the passenger manifold and crosspipe, then jacked the motor up and the OEM up pipe pulled right out( yes I skipped many steps). If it wasn't for the heatshields its probably a 2 hour job with one person but it took me 4.5 hours on my back with no help.

mfarnham 08-31-2011 07:35 PM

I'm going to pick up a helix UP tomorrow.