Subaru WRX Forum banner

upgraded turbo question

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  baller_v24 
#1 ·
my car is a 2004 wrx stage 2 with a 38mm external wastegate.
recently, i took of my magnaflow 3" catback and replaced it with the stock wrx catback, which on the 04 is a dual tip. i still have the perrin 3" dp on there.

the car runs great, and is silent until the gate opens, then its a different story

after i swapped the exhausts, i really couldnt notice any loss of power...the car pulls strong and hard, and i seem to have gained a little down low.

now my question is, if i go upgraded turbo soon, along the lines of an 18g, would i need the 3" catback, or could i keep my stock catback? how much power would i be losing if any?

i know i could always get a borla hush, which is the best of both worlds, but id rather put the money to a turbo rather then a third exhaust

#2 ·
If you are really worried about it why not just use the axle back portion of the stock exhaust? That way you are pretty much keeping everything open or 3" until the very end of the car. It shouldnt really make too much of a difference unless you are trying to squeeze every last bit of power from your setup. I have seen a 400+hp STI with stock CBE. Have you talked to a tuner about how they feel with that setup also?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.