updated 03 mod list, new turbo questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

battistigsx is an unknown
updated 03 mod list, new turbo questions

lots of changes since my last post, especially in the bolt on dept. i just got my car back from paint this week, I went with the 2008 carbon flash color found on the 08 sky redline special addition. since my last post i have bought or installed the following:

catless uppipe-with egt removed, resistor mod to eliminate CEL
catless bellmouth downpipe-connected to my existing 3" espelir cat back system
new timing belt and idler/tensioner pulleys with underdrive crank pulley
exedy clutch, pilot and throwout bearings (not installed yet)
resurfaced flywheel (ran out of cash and couldnt do lightweight yet) (not installed yet)
new ngk plugs, new oem coilpacks
silicone y pipe kit from stock tmic
omori 45mm guage (not installed yet)
turboXS RFL BOv (vented to atmosphere)

the car was already flashed for cobb stage 1, only mod at the time was the cat back system and it ran pretty hard, ran with my friends 2010 wrx. i have a few questions about the last few things. I decided to go with a tune instead of going to cobb stage two since i do not have the accesport. (it was my friends car before i bought it and he lost the accessport) my first question is about the last piece of the puzzle, a new turbo. Theres really nothing wrong with the stock turbo on my car, just getting the itch for something new, and of course bigger. i did some searching and see all of these cheap turbos on ebay. i was looking for a 16g, id love a 20g but i dont think i need or want that much boost in my daily driver. anyway, the 16g's are goin for 300 or less, new. has enybody ever bought one of these, im a little gunshy on this considering a namebrand would be in the 700 range. also, can anybody give me an estimate of what kind of number i might see with all the bolt-ons and a good tune using my stock turbo? what about with a 16g? im new to the wrx and dont quite know what to expect. thanks for any input on this one, ill be glad to get this stuff all done and just drive it for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've heard bad things about ebay turbo's. How about an 18g or vf39/34? Those seem to be pretty std. turbo's for the 2.0

-Chris
#3 Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

ill look into an 18g. for the time being im going to have the tune done with the stock turbo. any idea what numbers i could expect with all the above listed mods?
#4 Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

rety1-1 is an unknown
Well my friends bug eye has I think every bolt on there is with a td05 20g turbo and he puts down a bit over 400hp.
I'm just taking a shot in the dark, and I really have no experience but Im guessing 350 range? Give or take a bit. and that's my completely uneducated guess after the 18g is on.

wooot!!
new car!
'87 toyota supra turbo ;P
#5 Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well based on that…if I do go with the 18g I may as well do a bigger TMIC, better axles and a better tranny to put all that HP and torque to the ground. Not to mention ill probably need to consider a CAI, and new fuel pump and injectors to replace the stock stuff right? I don’t think my wallet is ready for the 18g setup just yet haha. Anybody have any input on what to expect with this setup and the tune if I keep the stock turbo?
#6 Old 05-19-2010, 02:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

02WRXbugeye is an unknown
Maybe you should wait before getting the tune. You might want to try looking on craigslist for a vf39 and sti intercooler. you can pick up the turbo for around 300 and sti tmic for about 250 which is how much I payed.

I just got a vf39 put on my 06 and I got 290whp on dyno

My mods:
lightweight crank pulley
Grimmspeed downpipe
kakumei Catback
Sti intercooler
vf 39
#7 Old 05-19-2010, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

if i get an sti tmic would i also need another new y pipe? not sure if its the same or not.
#8 Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
For the 02-07 models...the STI Y pipe is different than the wrx Y pipe. So, you'd need a STI Y pipe to run the STI TMIC or there is some sort of adaptor to use the wrx pipe with a clam and a extension.

I found this image doing a google image search for STI Y Pipe.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
An 18G needs a FP, injectors, at least a DP can be ran with an STI IC, stock intake, and you dont need new gears. I ran my 20G for sometime (about 10,000 miles) on the stock tranny with no issues what so ever. I even did a few launches on it and everything. The reason I went to do my whole build up is becuase Im deployed, my clutch was failing, so I decided to do everything at once.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
STi TMIC is way way too small for an 18G

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 05-20-2010, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

ok. well for right now im gonna stick with the stock turbo and tmic...because i dont have the extra cash to do a new fuel pump, turbo, injectors, tmic and all that. does anybody know of a good place to do my tune? im in a town called altoona, pa...about two hours east of pittsburgh. as i said i dont have the cobb AP anymore so it would be tuning via my stock ecu. i cant find anybody with an awd dyno. id like a good shop that can do a decent tune, not a hack job and not to the point that the car is unreliable. i just want to get some good gains from all the bolt on goodies ive done. i had a shop tune a dsm for me, they went too aggressive with the numbers and it blew up....they were good guys from what im told. i guess i shouldnt let somebody with a trailer dyno tune my car at a car show...live and learn. Any info, contact numbers, rates.....anything like that would be great. thanks guys for all the help.
#12 Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
cbrd is in york. You're also not far from andrewtech

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#13 Old 05-20-2010, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yep, CBRD Speedfactory isn't that far away. They're highly reguarded in the EVO community and they won't tell you to do anything you don't want to do. People send their EVOs from all over to CBRD to get their work done there. Because of their reputation and they have made a couple tuner magazines. I've seen it in person. They only work on EVOs and STIs/WRXs. No other make or models.

CBRD Homepage or try youtubing some CBRD clips. They have some clips of their tuner time attack EVO on youtube.

They had www.import2race.com over for a Open House apprantly May 1st. Check it out.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#14 Old 05-21-2010, 09:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

thanks guys,that place looks amazing! ill try to plan a trip down there as soon as i finish all the bolt ons.