Up pipe options for 04 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

dragon wagon is an unknown
Up pipe options for 04 wrx

Hey guys, new to the forum and just got an 04 wagon about 4 months ago. I've gone through the entire car, replaced all the fluids checked everything I can and took it in to a mechanic to make sure everything was good. Now that I've got all the maintnence out of the way, I'd like to start the mods. Car is 100% stock other than a Borla cat-back I put on last week. The guy I bought it from worked at a shop and he recommended that the next thing I do was the up pipe. I've done my research but I still have some questions.
1. I live in California and we have the smog nazis here so I'd like to stay legal. can anybody in CA show what they've done? Can I get a good, catted up pipe?
2. Would it be worth it with to get a tune? What about an accessport?
sorry if this is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
1. The entire point of doing an up-pipe is to get rid of the cat. They are all illegal, but nobody will likely notice

2. Not for stage 1 unless you get it cheap.
#3 Old 09-25-2012, 02:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
don't worry about an aftermarket up-pipe causing you to fail a visual inspection in CA...most smog techs don't even know what "that strange thing on top of the motor" is.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#4 Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
HAHA... "Is that a second radiator?" too funny

OP-Get a stock UP from a 04-07STi or 06-07WRX

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 09-25-2012, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

dragon wagon is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
HAHA... "Is that a second radiator?" too funny

OP-Get a stock UP from a 04-07STi or 06-07WRX
haha I usually get "wow thats a huge oil cooler!' thanks for the tip on the stock pipe from the newer wrx, it think thats what ill do so I don't need to worry about fitment or anything and they're easier to find.....and cheaper
#6 Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Big easy is an unknown
I have cobbs uppipe and it is amazing. Fits perfect and comes with new exhaust studs. Awesome
#7 Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxdan is more helpful than not
i know everyone says stay away from ebay parts, but i got my up pipe on ebay for like 50.00 and have had it on for about 2 years now w/no leaks or problems. fit good too and came with studs
#8 Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdan View Post
i know everyone says stay away from ebay parts, but i got my up pipe on ebay for like 50.00 and have had it on for about 2 years now w/no leaks or problems. fit good too and came with studs
Well, in the case of up-pipes there is a reason. vibrations and heat put a lot of stress on the up-pipe. If you get one with a cheapo flex section it will tear sooner rather than later. If you get a cheap solid one with poor welds, the welds will bust and you'll have a pre-turbo exhaust leak. Since the up-pipe is so hard to install and cheap to begin with, you want to get a reputable one and only have to do it once.
#9 Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is more helpful than not
Garage
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing well."

My Invidia turbo up-pipe for the same car was 135 CAD$ but it took the shop 2.5 hrs to install it. Installation was roughly twice what the up-pipe cost, and I'd hate to have to do it all again if a inexpensive turbo up-pipe were to fail prematurely.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#10 Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxdan is more helpful than not
good points, but in my case i do all my work myself, and the up pipe was pretty easy and quick to replace. i have had it out again since i installed it when i put in my vf39, pinks and large tmic. still looks good with no signs of leaks. maybe i got lucky :s
LW_Black4 likes this.
#11 Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
I don't know of any "Catted" aftermarket up pipes. But like many other people mentioned, I think most smog technicians don't care, as long as you have your other cats in place.

If you do decide to order an aftermarket one we carry a few really nice options, including Grimmspeed and Invidia: 2004 Subaru Impreza 4 Door Wagon WRX Test Pipe

We also have a crazy deal going on right now on all V2 AccessPORT tuners.

Just let me know if you need help.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#12 Old 07-31-2013, 01:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
The scammers at Xcelleration sell a "high performance" catted up-pipe. It's been a while but I think they are $700-800.
#13 Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdan View Post
good points, but in my case i do all my work myself, and the up pipe was pretty easy and quick to replace. i have had it out again since i installed it when i put in my vf39, pinks and large tmic. still looks good with no signs of leaks. maybe i got lucky :s
If you're doing the work yourself, you're in the best situation to try something new. Since it's already installed and there are no issues, I wouldn't give it another thought - just put the hammer down and drive it like you stole it!

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#14 Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Wait what?
Who the hell are these guys and where have I been?

The up is a bitch but you can do it yourself in 2-4 hours depending on how good you are with tools.
The biggest bitch of the whole install is the removal of the old one since the exhaust covers can really be a pain in the dick.
I also used a jack under my engine to give me a little wiggle room.
GL, and don't pay more than a 100-150 for an up or your getting ripped off.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#15 Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Remove a motor mount... helped me. Plus gets you used to doing the mounts for when you do your plugs.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3