Subaru WRX Forum banner

up pipe leak

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  booosted09 
#1 ·
i have an up pipe on my car and am leaking at up and mani its only leaking from the front of it. i tried moving it around and still nothing and even have new gaskets...what else am i to do

#3 ·
How easy is it to detect an up-pipe leak? I've noticed since doing the UP/DP install I hear a lot more noises from under the hood. I get a little bit of a fluttering noise when accelerating and I'm wondering if I don't have a small up-pipe leak? Is this possible, or would it be totally obvious?

#5 ·
Seems to be most noticeable under hard acceleration. When I'm running next to a concrete barrier I hear it the most b/c the sound bounces off the wall.

norcalwrx916, sorry to highjack the thread, I just was interested in finding out how you determined it was an up-pipe leak and what it sounded like. I used an 05 STI up-pipe and factory gaskets.

I did some data logging and a tech. from Cobb reviewed them and said everything looked great. Waste gate was at 80%.

#7 ·
blk05wrx, I too hear that exact same noise as you. And at first i thought it was an exhaust leak or something similar. I checked all the exhaust pipping while the car was running with it reved up a little and saw no smoke or anything so I was convinced its not a leak. I think its just the noise that the bellmouth DP's make. I kinda like the sound. Have you adjusted your wastegate arm at all ? turned mine 2 full turns counter clockwise and the noise is a lot less noticeable now and I got a couple more pounds of boost getting me up to cobb specs.

#8 ·
You're right about all the new noises of the Bellmouth DP. There is a whistle, and flutter, and all kinds of new sounds. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an up-pipe leak.

I got paranoid b/c the person I bought the Up-pipe from must have soaked it in cleaner b/c it smoked like crazy for the first 30 minutes or so. The installer took the time to get the car back in the air and inspect it to make sure nothing was wrong, but I was still worried. He also drove around with me with the laptop and we took some logs and sent them to Cobb.

As I mentioned, they looked OK, but Cobb did recommend adjusting the wastegate arm b/c it was at 80%. I didn't want to go outside of the Stage 2 parameters b/c it's a daily driver and I'm happy with the power. I was thinking about having it professionally tuned at P&L.

I hit 16.4 lbs of boost in 4th gear on the highway, so I think I'm hitting the right boost according to the map notes. What kind of boost are you getting? Here's about what I get.

1st - 14.5
2nd - 15.4
3rd - 15.9
4th - 16.4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.