Subaru WRX Forum banner

Up-Pipe decision...

4K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  WeSellCarParts 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm trying to decide which up pipe to go with. I'm thinking of either the Perrin or the HKS. Some have told me to go with all Japan stuff (ie. HKS) because they are better performance quality. What do you guys think and why? What about the rest of the upgrades I'm going to do? Should all those parts be domestic too? Any insight would be great. Thanks all.

Mike

#13 ·
I've been thinking about getting the Perrin but as I read, it saids that it doesn't use the EGT sensor and that you plug their resistor to EGT sensor wire harness. Isn't bad for your car and engine if the ECU can't read the EGT sensor? If so...I'm going with something else with a EGT plug-in and possible flex section.

#14 ·
I have the Perrin. Great fitment and great quality on the pipe. The EGT probe is only used for startup and is something that could break off and get forced into the turbo. There have been no issues with not having the EGT in the car for me or anyone that I know.

#15 ·
The EGT probe is only used for startup and is something that could break off and get forced into the turbo. There have been no issues with not having the EGT in the car for me or anyone that I know.
my tuner told me the same thing. so i had him do an EGT probe delete on my car. i wouldn't know if it would cause other issues because i had mine tuned the same time.

#16 ·
I am in the same boat as spaz_wsu, getting ready to do my first mod and planning on getting an up pipe. Other than easier fitment and less chance of leaks is there any other reason to go with a flex joint pipe over a one piece solid pipe? It seems like there are more of the solid pipes without a flex joint out there, than the ones with the joint. Most offer the EGT bung, but it looks like this is something that is not really nescessary or am i wrong in that assumption?

I am considering the TurboXS pipe with flex joint, or the Perrin without. I searched several vendor websites to check prices and diffrent models. I hadnt heard of Titek innovations until today when i noticed there up-pipe at Renicks website. It seems to be a very well liked piece according to the posts. Is this one i should be considering also?

On the higher end of the price range i like the look and quality of the Vishnu pipe, but dont think i can afford it at the moment. Megan Racing offers a up pipe with all the gaskets and studs/bolts for just over 100.00, that seems a little low, just wondering what kind of quality you get for your money. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the Megan Racing parts?

Sorry for all the questions, i just want to get a good quailty part that isnt going to fail on me anytime soon, and help improve the performance of my car.

Dave

#17 ·
im getting an up pipe soon(probally titek) and was wondering is there is a up pipe better for a stock wrx turbo. Just want a better/meaner daily driver. I heard a bigger pipe could hurt low end power....? or any that look stock. I got an axle back, and plan on getting EM down the road, but for now just wana get that cat outta the way. Aslo, should I got with the EGT delete? <thanx>

#19 ·
Anyone know what to do with the Oxygen Sensor in the up-pipe? I have an STI up-pipe that I wish to replace my stock pre-catalytic converter with. The new pipe doesn't have an O2 sensor port. Think my engine light will come on even if I drill a new thread into the pipe?

#20 ·
There is no oxygen sensor in the UP. That is an EGT Probe. You will get a CEL for not having it there if you don't do anything about it. The easiest thing for you to do is get a 2.2 OHM resistor from Radio Shack and remove the EGT probe altogether and put the resistor in where it plugs into the wiring harness. It is only used for start up emissions and will not hurt the car if you remove it.

#21 ·
Technically its all base on your own preference of brand name. But overall having a flex will have less stress on the actual whole exhaust system and mate up better. But just find something with constructed with stainless steel all around. In my opinion I did a lot of research and ended up with a Helix Flex pipe, no complaints. Good Luck.

#27 ·
So i have done several searches and read many posts on the subject of up-pipes. Within the next 1-2 weeks i will be ordering a catless uppipe. I was pretty set on the turbo xs with flex joint, but decided to see what others recommended. After reading all those posts i noticed that the majority said Helix/titek, Perrin, or catless jdm/sti pipes. There just seemed to be so much conflicting information. Some would say solid pipes were extremely difficult to install, some would say it was no problem. I heard that flex joints made it easier to install and made it leak proof and others said that it made no diffrence. Egt bung or no bung, most say it isnt really needed, to get a resistor from radio shack or have a good tune/reflash and it wont matter.

Heck now after reading and doing some research im more confused than ever. I just want to get rid of that accident waiting to happen pre turbo cat with a quality part that i will have for years to come.

So i guess im looking at one of the following
Helix/titek flex pipe
Perrin solid
Turbo XS flex
possibly the gruppe-s pipe i have heard good things about it too.
I just wish it was more cut and dry, getting mixed reviews, it would be easier if i heard dont buy these pipes they suck, definetly get these pipes they are the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.