UP/DP cel question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

coldreunion is an unknown
UP/DP cel question

Ok, before i get the "hit the search button" responses, already did and couldn't find a actual comparison. My new cat-less dp & up-pipe are being shipped this week and i was wondering if anyone knew if there were any benefits to running the mechanical CEL fix compared to the electronic Helix fix, or vise-versa. an AP will be in the works soon so it will only be temporary for a couple of months. also, there is an EGT bung (at least i think it is) in the up-pipe, so should i install the EGT sensor or just buy the resistor to put in the connector. thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 01:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
??? You didn't search...!Laugh! Just kidding.

The advantage of using the mechanical fix is that you don't have to hack up your factory o2 sensor harness. Where with the Helix fix, you will. If I were to do it all over again, I'd go mechanical.

As for the EGT, I installed mine back like stock, but you could do either. Putting the probe back in there isn't the best way because if it fails, the tip's getting sucked right into your turbo. You can either put a bolt in the EGT hole in the new up, remove the sensor from the car, and then put the resistor in the plug. Or you can just put it back.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #3 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
You have to use the mechanical CEL fix on the 04 +. Use the resistor in the plug for EGT, it is useless once the cat is gone.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ouch.....right in the heart....

thanks for the replies guys. found a CEL "kit" on ebay, mechanical fix for the DP and bolt to plug the EGT bung in the up and a resistor as well! guess ill go with that, then Cobb stage 2 here i come! think I'm gonna stay with suspension mods to help with those auto-X times! just need that little extra boost to keep up with all the vettes and evos in my area. they tear up those auto-X courses pretty hard! any other replies are more than welcome!
post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 08:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

You will have run the STX map from Cobb to legal, stage 2 maps moves you up many classes.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thanks for the info....you learn something new everyday! do any of you know a good tuner in the southern Pa/ Hagerstown Md area? I'm definitely gonna get a pro-tune after i get the AP. Also, do you know of any dealerships in that area that are cool with mods? bought mine from Sharrett in hagerstown and just from talking to them, it doesn't seem like they would be ok with it. thanks again guys, I've learned so much about the rex from just reading this site, and let me tell you, I've had a 1st gen dsm that dyno'ed out at 493whp and 421lb/ft of torque and this car is a HUGE change (for the better of course ) this is the first place i go for the wrx 411! props to luda and all the moderators for keeping this site flame-free and focused on what we all want to do, get the best experience from our rex!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2006, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

http://agileauto.com/ these guys have a good rep for Pro Tunes. If you take the cats out, no dealership will touch your car. If go with a catted DP you should be fine. The dealership can't see a cobb map in the ECU,so you should be fine with that. If you brake parts due to you upgrades the dealership will void the warranty. I don't know a dealership that work with you, I bought my car used with no warranty. And I hate dealerships touching my cars.

PS There is a subie meet Mt Airy this Wednesday evening if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement