UP/DP/CBE + no tune? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-16-2005, 11:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

DEMENTED is an unknown
UP/DP/CBE + no tune?

anyone running the basics without a cobb ap or any tuning? a friend of mine is wondering he can just buy a up/dp/cbe without having to spend $800 to have it protuned (which adds an extra 10-15hp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-17-2005, 01:33 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Yes, it's fine to run an uppipe and turboback w/ no engine management. You just won't get the most out of it. In fact, that's what I'm running atm.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#3 Old 11-17-2005, 07:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
Agreed. I am running up & tbe currently and have been for about 1 year.
#4 Old 11-17-2005, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
I'd be careful running UPDP on an my04+. SOme have documented massive amount of detonation. 04+ have a longer closed loop fueling position (this means they run a lean burn longer) due to enviroment issues from the EPA that forced subaru to do this.

By having your car custom tuned, you are able to reduce this dealy and get fuel in there before your start to hit higher boost numbers. THe reason UP DP could make it worse, it because removing the cats/back pressure from the system will allow your turbo to spool faster and could leave you running nearly full boost at 14.7:1 AFR's (that's not good)

Of course everyone's car runs different. SOme people DET on a stock car, some mod it with DP and UP and have no issues at all.

Tuning is a VERY important part of modding cars like these. They're not the same as modding old v8's where you just throw parts at it and it makes more power. It's just a different set up.

Do yourself a favor and get your stage 2 components, and get a protune (some have even picked up more than 15WHP).
#5 Old 11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxtacy19 is an unknown
well i dont think we have to worry about him running catless being that hes from cali. So he will prob be ok with running a full turbo back with a cat in it. Ive had 2 04s that i ran with just turbo backs till i got an ecutek and a utec and they ran great. But its important to remember that were dealing wit imports and no 2 cars are the same. Some car react differently to some mods. It also depends on where you live as well.
#6 Old 11-17-2005, 06:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

DEMENTED is an unknown
[QUOTE=wrxtacy19]well i dont think we have to worry about him running catless being that hes from cali. QUOTE]

says who?! lol
#7 Old 11-17-2005, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

slow_rex is an unknown
im running a 3 inch tbe, uppipe, downpipe, intake, boost controller, fmic without EM tuning, which is my next mod btw =)