Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ultimare Racing TMIC

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
im thinking of buying one used from someone near me and im trying to google some specs and i cant find anything on it.

anyone got any data on this? or has anyone used one? i know a while ago Ultimate Racing build some pretty fast wrx's. but i need to know flow and temp specs.

the price is incredibly low and the owner said he bought it and never used it because of a fitment issue.

all i know is that it is 17.5"x10.5" and 4.5" deep, bar & plate. and it has tubulator fins inside the channels. its not cheap and gutted like some "bigger" tmic's.

*ugh* i cant edit the title?

#5 · (Edited)
so i purchased it. it came with the y pipe, but im cleaning up the unit an wrapping it in reflect a gold.

does anyone know where and what kind of what kind of gasket goop should i use for the underside?

the old stuff just feels like silicone

i have new gaskets but i want to make sure i have a good seal and no blowouts

#8 ·
any tips for cleaning?

im told acetone or diesel fuel. seal up the holes, let it sit, and give it shake. rinse/repeat, let dry for 48 hours

#9 ·
Cleaning the grease from the inside of an intercooler can be a huge pain in the rear. I would avoid diesel fuels or acetone as a cleaner just because its pretty nasty stuff to dispose of when your done. Personally I prefer Simple Green. Its non-toxic and it does a great job of cutting grease. Grab a gallon jug and dilute it as per the instructions for "heavy degreasing" throw a few OZ of the solution in the intercooler and close it off and shake. Rinse it with filtered ( of bottled ) water and air dry. If you have access to a heat gun you could also use heat to assist the drying process but be careful because most heat guns get up near 1,000 F and aluminum doesn't change color to tell you that its skin melting hot.

#11 ·
If you want something evaporative you can use carb cleaner. Just be sure to work in a well ventilated area with no sources of ignition. The amount of carb cleaner you would need to clean out an intercooler is enough to start quite a fire. Also protect yourself, that stuff isnt good for your skin or your lungs.

#12 ·
yea i got goggles + respirator and a ventilated & heated garage

can i get carb cleaner in a non-aerosol? would be easier if i can pour in than spray

#15 ·
i found this simplegreens homepage

Frequently Asked Questions
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner, Pro Series Simple Green Automotive Cleaner, and Simple Green Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Simple Green Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner & Polish is another option for cleaning polished aluminum. This product is designed for light duty metal cleaning and polishing.

maybe i'll stay away from it since i have a shiny aluminium tmic. apparently it eats aluminium if you dont to the process properly. and i am kind of clumsy sometimes. i could get distracted and then leave the stuff on too long lol.

but thanks again for confirming the method

#16 ·
Thats excellent,

Whichever product you choose just be careful and follow the directions.

Just a side note. Ive been using simple green for years as a wheel cleaner and while it takes some elbow grease it has been the most effective cleaner Ive found yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.