twin turbo? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-10-2003, 10:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Talking twin turbo?

Can the WRX be configured to run with a twin turbo system? What if I buy the VF-30 and put it in as well. Can I do something to make the stock and new turbos work together (or in sequence)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2003, 01:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Zullard is more helpful than not
twin

I don't know if it is possible or not, well anything can be done. But first think about the toyota supra's MKIV, they came twin turbo and then all ones putting down alot of power did a conversion to single turbo. Twin turbo is alot easier to do on a V6 since there are two headers, like on the 350z which has two twin turbo kits coming out for it. (one is Greddy) Twin turbos are expensive too since you end up needing two of every component. The way the wrx is set up though in theory you could have a custom exhaust manifold made and have the 2 cylinders on the right side go to a turbo (where the stock turbo was) (you would want the same turbos for a twin set up) and have the other two cylinders on the left side go to one turbo then have them meet at an intercooler and then go into the intake manifold. Might as well buy another WRX though for the amount that would cost. It would be original though
#3 Old 01-10-2003, 01:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I think that since the WRX's engine is a flat four, with two cylinders on each side, a twin turbo system would work well. Of course, it would be very expensive, and require many many hours of fabricating. Plus, as tight as it already is under the hood, finding room for everything would be a problem. But, as Zullard said, I have also noticed that most twin turbo owners upgrade to a larger single turbo. Since I'm not very familiar with those cars, I'm not sure the reason.
#4 Old 01-10-2003, 02:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Oh well, just a thought... Maybe I'll try it one of these days ;-)

"Many people have a good aim in life; most never pull the trigger."
#5 Old 01-10-2003, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

WagonRex is an unknown
I think It'd work.......

Since the D-side exhaust pipe wraps around the front and goes to the turbo....Just modding the piping and slapping another turbo on the D-side would be fairly easy. Compared to other cars , anyway
#6 Old 02-03-2003, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

subaru mik is an unknown
I would think that it might not work that well since it is only a 2.0 would there be enough exhaust gas to make them work well? I did a search on another forum and many people were saying it would not work as well as a 6 cyl. car that has more displacement...

`"\_need more hp_/''`
#7 Old 02-03-2003, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally posted by subaru mik
I would think that it might not work that well since it is only a 2.0 would there be enough exhaust gas to make them work well? I did a search on another forum and many people were saying it would not work as well as a 6 cyl. car that has more displacement...
Well, that's sort of true. You wouldn't want to use the same size turbos as what comes on the car. You would want to use smaller turbos. But turbos will work with a very small amount of exhaust gas. I turbocharged a Yamaha KT-100 single cylinder 2 stroke engine a few years back (long story, don't ask).