Turning up the BOOST - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-26-2005, 10:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

stewy612 is an unknown
Turning up the BOOST

Hey guys just a quick question...im running a completly stock wrx right now, i just got it yesterday...but i have the opportuninty to go pick up a boost controller from a buddy...theres no hidden wrx thing that i have to worry about if i go ahead and turn up the boost tonight is there? i was just gonna run 16 pounds

-Stewy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2005, 10:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

TRUSTwrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TRUSTwrx
Playing with the boost on a stocker isn't such a great idea. Get some upgrades under your belt first. Then worry about turning up boost when you have proper supporting mods. Better safe than sorry. But if you have the oppurtunity to get it for a good price, get it and save it for down the line.
#3 Old 08-26-2005, 10:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy612
Hey guys just a quick question...im running a completly stock wrx right now, i just got it yesterday...but i have the opportuninty to go pick up a boost controller from a buddy...theres no hidden wrx thing that i have to worry about if i go ahead and turn up the boost tonight is there? i was just gonna run 16 pounds

-Stewy
Nothing to worry about at all...

As long as you have a couple thousand dollars in reserve to replace your engine.

DO NOT TURN THE BOOST UP WITHOUT ENGINE MANAGEMENT!!!
#4 Old 08-26-2005, 01:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
a used 2.0 wrx block is not afew thousand $'s. Iv seen them for less than $1K. And you can upgrade to the 2.5 sti block right away.

imo,
Dont touch youre car without reading these forums for afew months.
#5 Old 08-26-2005, 01:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

stewy612 is an unknown
Im not new to these cars at all, please don't think im a newbie...i just don't understand why it would mess with the engine at all...i can understand not to turn it up too much but it seems to me that as long as i use my data logger to see how much i can turn it up while still running well everything should be cool...its just boost

-Stewy
#6 Old 08-26-2005, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
So you've got a completely stock car? I don't know what good the datalogger is....

But, with a stock car, on stock engine management, raising the boost leans out your AFR. That is a very bad thing.

But, it's your car. Everyone so far has told you not to do it. Why ask if you don't want to believe anyone?
#7 Old 08-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
There are several reasons. If you don't have a gauge, you have no idea what you're turning it up too... but that's the least of your problems. You have a cat in your uppipe where the slighest increase in pressure in the pipe can dislodge your cat and fragment inside your turbo. That's about $2k in damages right there. On top of that, you have nothing to control fuel. Most boost controls will lean out your cylinders having a good potential to cause extensive damage to your engine. Why would you put such risk on a car you love so much? I think pretty much all the long time tuners on here will recommend you NOT to put that on the car. It's a newbie mistake, just like a CAI is.

A lot of times too you find new people comming onto these boards, and trying to get help because their car is not running correctly. A lot of times it's because of a CAI or boost control. There's no such thing as "free (or cheap) power." If it was that easy, Subaru would have increased the pressure themselves.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#8 Old 08-26-2005, 01:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

RPFRIDE is an unknown
He is looking for that one person to tell him it is "ok" so he can rest easy. It probably is ok to turn it up alittle. yu will get fuel cut when you hit to much boost. Many people have done it and our cars ore fine (i hope), and then some have pop'ed there engine. Just do it the right way, imo.
#9 Old 08-26-2005, 02:09 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Even using a MBC at stock pressures still bring up the problem of PTFB which causes a lean condition which leads to other bad things such as high EGTs, uppipe cats blown into turbos, etc.
#10 Old 08-26-2005, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx904 is an unknown
WoW!!!!! Thats a good idea Stewy. Go ahead and jack up that boost. And let all of use know how long that stock engine last. You are crazy for not taking everyones advise.
#11 Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

stewy612 is an unknown
Woa Woa Woa so much rage on the forums lol...naw its cool guys lol jesus

i just know a lot of people who turn up the boost and don't have problems with it...im not trying do deny your advise but i got a lot more information by asking a more specific question didn't i.

thanks a lot everyone

-Stewy
#12 Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx_maybe is an unknown
Trust me, don't turn it up! These guys know what they are talking about! I'm from the DSM camp and when I made the change to go WRX, that was my first question. These cars are totally different from my DSM's and other cars.
Here is a list of things that I notice that you can't do to a WRX (compared to DSM's) You can't just up the boost up (without engine management), installed a 16g without any supporting mod, drop a FMIC with the stocker, and keep the stock injectors with those mods I describe earlier and other things, for instances; re-wire pump, ported 14b etc....
#13 Old 09-08-2005, 01:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx_maybe is an unknown
Also, the CAI thingy, the CEL lights, I can keep on going! Learning as I go along.
#14 Old 09-08-2005, 05:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy612
Woa Woa Woa so much rage on the forums lol...naw its cool guys lol jesus

i just know a lot of people who turn up the boost and don't have problems with it...im not trying do deny your advise but i got a lot more information by asking a more specific question didn't i.

thanks a lot everyone

-Stewy
I also will say don't turn up the boost. These people you speak of have no 'apparent' problems YET with their car. Just because it doesn't blow up right after you turn up the boost doe not mean that it isn't slowly killing your engine. Do it the right way, spend $1,000 on tunable engine management, that way with every modification you do to your car you'll be to tune properly for it.

And to
Quote:
RPFRIDE a used 2.0 wrx block is not a few thousand $'s. Iv seen them for less than $1K. And you can upgrade to the 2.5 sti block right away.
Yes, an engine doesn't cost thousands, but new heads, gaskets, turbo and any other necessary mods that you destroy in the process of destroying your block will cost you thousands. Not to mention, installation costs. And you can't just drop in a STi 2.5 engine, without supporting mods, em and either head work or new cylinders.

Blue