Subaru WRX Forum banner

TurboXS or Perrin Up-pipe

15K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Jcarv20 
#1 ·
I've cut my options down to these final two up-pipes, now i just wanted to gather your guys opinions to help with my final decision. Looking for positive or negative feedback, also which is easier to install, quality (i'm guessing is good for both), also the TurboXS has a flex section so i'd like input on that if there's any, thanks a bunch!

#2 ·
I would buy whichever is cheaper. Also there are a few other brands I'd go with if they were cheaper. There are dozens of good uppipes on the market. It's not a complicated part, it's just a few inches of steel.

#3 ·
ya so far i was thinking of the TurboXS it's cheaper by like 50 bucks, i just didn't want to buy something from a brand i know nothing about and have it crack or what not, i also research and saw the Perrin Up-pipe doesn't have a bung for the EGT or whatever it is sensor and you need to do the resister mod. So wouldn't one with a bung like the XS or another brand be easier to install.

#9 ·
I've had ~5 uppipes or so including the old and new turboxs uppipes, and perrin. Let me tell you... both of the txs uppipes fit PERFECTLY. As good, if not better than stock. They also appeared to be the best quality (imo)... MUCH better than perrin, and yes, even better than grimmspeed (by a little).

Btw, don't leave the egt sensor hanging. Take it off... out of your car... completely. You don't need it anymore.

#13 ·
I debated with myself about the flex section as well. I decided that I would get a flex so engine movement doesn't get transmitted to the turbo/DP. I had heard about flex sections failing but it seems to be rare. I got a Hop Up Racing up pipe for cheap (less than $100) but this is one of the simpliest parts you can put on a car. It's hard to mess up but I still would not recommend a $10 ebay one.

#14 ·
The "flex" sections on the up pipe are not really a big advantage or disadvantage to installation or use once installed. Both are the exact same in quality I would recomment the Perrin that is what my buddy got without the "flex" pipe and he is very satisfied. I will be making the same upgrade soon.

#15 ·
The problem with the flex pieces is some companies put them at the ends of the pipe to save money while helping fittment. Flex sections should not be used near bends. The Grimmspeed uppipe for example places the flex in the flat section in the middle of the up pipe which puts it far enough from the bend to avoid problems.

Flex sections are great, they're just more likely to fail. You minimize this by minimizing the stress they'll see. Whenever you have a bend in the pipe, the air will push against the side at higher pressure. It will also get more particulate friction. In other words, the bendy part is where pipes wear out first. Flex sections in these areas are the real problem. A flex section in a straight section should work fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.