Subaru WRX Forum banner

turboback w/race pipe, computer issues?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  wrxdragwag 
#1 ·
Here's the Q... bought TurboXS turbo-back exhaust with the race pipe (eliminates two cats)... The race pipe still has the oxygen bung for connection of the oxygen sensor, but my dad (lifelong mechanic) suggests I may have problems w/the computer system if i don't add a unichip... Anyone have feedback based on experience here? What problems might we be talking about... just a simple "check engine light", or performance and back pressure issues too... TurboXS doesn't mention any issues that may be raised by nixing the cats altogether.

If problems likely, is Unichip the answer? Were can a get it for least $$$... I spent most of my $$$ on the turbo back... It looks real nice, and ready to install this Saturday, but may wait if serious issues may result.

Thanks for the input. Merry Xmas all.

#3 ·
Anyone Please elaborate?

What is a CEL and what is an MIL elimanator... will throwing the CEL render the car undriveable, or damage the car? Should i wait to install the exhaust until i get the MIL eliminator? What should that item cost, and how difficult to install?

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm trying to learn as quickly as possible.

#4 ·
CEL = Check Engine Light

MIL Eliminator = A resistor (Radio Shack) or supply house
Hooked to the o2 senor tricks the car into thinking it still is doing its part for the environment...

The CEL is just an indicator that the CATS are not working (gone) properly. It may or may not come on.... It has our exp. that it comes up hit or miss after all CAT's have been removed. Put the exhaust on and see what happens.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help,

The exhaust is on, its power gain seems quite sufficient and noticeable,
No check engine light or problems of any sort... It just sound completely bad@$$ and feels much faster... My next buy is definitely going to be the TurboXS UTEC computer...

Absolutely recommend the TurboXS system, quality system as far as I'm concerned.

This car has great low rumbe. I was concerned that it would sound like the obnoxious Honda Civic four cylinder w/coffe-can muffler...NO Way, nothing like it... sounds kinda like older Corvette or something, I love it. Its a good combo w/the CAI spooling turbo sound. DId i mention i love it...:D :D :D :D :!Laugh!

#6 ·
Re: Thanks for the help,

REXronald said:
The exhaust is on, its power gain seems quite sufficient and noticeable,
No check engine light or problems of any sort... It just sound completely bad@$$ and feels much faster... My next buy is definitely going to be the TurboXS UTEC computer...

Absolutely recommend the TurboXS system, quality system as far as I'm concerned.

This car has great low rumbe. I was concerned that it would sound like the obnoxious Honda Civic four cylinder w/coffe-can muffler...NO Way, nothing like it... sounds kinda like older Corvette or something, I love it. Its a good combo w/the CAI spooling turbo sound. DId i mention i love it...:
Who did you get your exhaust from and how much did it run? How difficult was the installation? When you mean the power gains were noticeable,....how noticeable?;) Do you have any other performance mods done to the car or just the exhaust? Thanks for your feedback. I am also considering about the exhaust and I am debating between a full exhaust and the cat -back...thanks!

Angel

#8 ·
TurboXS exhaust from Nipponpower.com

Got it at Nipponpower--best TurboXS price i could find on net, like $970 shipped... That's a huge (all stainless steel) catless 4' downpipe, tapered into 3' straight through piping all the way to a chromed Magnaflow muffler w/4' tip. Put it with racing style CAI, irridium tip spark plugs, and should running around w/270+ HP... Trust me, the power demand nothing short of awesome... If you thought the stock WRX could put you back in your seat a bit, the you'll think this car has you holding on to the wheel just to stay put when you drop the hammer at about 3500RPM and while just getting started. First gear is rediculous, and i must now be carefull about pedal to metal acceleration on wet roads... still grips, but just feels wrong to be unleashing this much juice on wet roads... Again I'll say, I love it.

#10 ·
Ok, another question. I'm in the market for a Subby (just totalled my Passat!) and looking into performance upgrades. Insurance money is gonna pay for all my upgrades!!! :)

Question is, how many cats does the WRX have, and how many can you remove before you run into smog-pass problems???

Reading along, I guessing the car has either 2 or 3 cats....one on the uppipe, one on the downpipe, and possibly one under the car. Can I remove the up/down pipe ones and keep the third (replacing with a hi-flow, of course) and still be ok??? I'm in California so smog stuff is an issue.

Had some issues with my Passat when I put a race pipe in....Just don't want to have to go through that again....

Thanks

#11 ·
I can say this much...

... which will not be much help to you...

I live in OH so no clue about your smog issues... (trade-off... you get nice weather for driving year round, and I deal with 4 months of crap snow and salt all over the roads. But I get free reign on my exhaust system... No government tests whatsoever are required on a WRX in Oh. 3 cats in the exhaust line of the WRX. One in the uppipe between turbo and engine. and one in the downpipe (quite restrictive) and another in the pipe following the downpipe, then a small muffler baffle, then the muffler and tailpipe... all 2.5 inchs... Turbo XS opens up everything from the turbo back and includes huge 4' opening where the downpipe meets the turbo... very nice flow and now eliminates two cats or just eliminates one and high flow for the other... Love the added power... spend a few minutes and remove the turbo resonator from inside the front right fender (maybe even replace with CAI) and your car will sound quite fiersom... the sound is addictive... turbo spooling is far more noticeable. Enogh of this chat... i need to go drive... 28,700 miles so far.... youch!

#12 ·
Just finished complete Turbo XS stage 2 upgrade that includes:

Turbo XS catback exhaust with racepipe (no cats)
Perrin uppipe
Samco intercooler hoses
resonator box removed from intake, and K&N filter installed

These mods showed good performance gains, but today I just installed the Turbo XS stage 2 UTEC. Holy crap!!!!! This thing rocks!!! The UTEC add increased power than all the others togather.

Gotta go, I'm headed out to blow away my buddy in his stock 911 (2000 model)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.