TURBO-XS RFL blow off valve adjustments? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-02-2005, 01:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

newbe02WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to newbe02WRX
TURBO-XS RFL blow off valve adjustments?

I just recieved my TURBO-XS type h RFL blow off valve today. I want to install it tomorrow. Here's my problem it says to refer to the tuning guide for proper adjustments. Problem is they didn't send me this tuning guide.
First off i know it needs some washers in it. Where the heck do you put the washers? Second how many do you use on a stock WRX? I have heard 2-3 all the way up to 4. And my last question what should a properly tuned BOV sound like? Will i know if i got it right or not by sound alone? Any or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
L.J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-03-2005, 04:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to absolutexk
your right about the 2-3 for WRX... it actually says it on their site... a properly working blow off valve as i've read on these forums, normally you would get bucks, exhaust pops, and idle drops... but you just gotta experiment and see how many work the best for your car.. start off with none, then 1,2 and so on til it feels right
#3 Old 04-03-2005, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

al5dsm is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to al5dsm
You unscrew the top of the BOV and put washers there. I'll try to get you a pic later today, assuming I get my RFL back from my friends STi.
#4 Old 04-03-2005, 09:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

newbe02WRX is an unknown
i figured out where the washers go from the turbo xs website. I installed the BOV today with no problems. easy to put on. I put 2 washers in and everything seems to be ok. No rough idle or anything like that. My only concern is it really only pops off under hard acceleration. When i just drive the car normally it makes a fluttering noise between shifts. Is this good or bad? Could i have too many washers in it? Also kinda sounds like it is coming from the AEM air intake. Just don't want to mess anything up. Let me know guys.
Thanks.
L.J.
#5 Old 04-04-2005, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
mayb try adding more or less washers... is that AEM intake a cold air? ### the cold air intakes are known to be hindering to a stock wrx... i think that fluttering you hear is the wastegate from ### i read on other parts of this forum... i read that the wastegate makes a fluttering noise of some sort... i forget the reason y, but im sure more ppl will answer ## question after mine...
#6 Old 04-05-2005, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

wi_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wi_wrx
no the fluttering is from the BOV mine does it on occasion too ... like when i floor it and the turbo doesnt spool up all the way and i let off the gas. That seems to be the time it does it the most...
I have herd that it needs to be lubricated maybe that is why it isnt blowing off all the time... Mine even seems to blowoff pretty well and loud at 2700 or lower. I even tested it with just a tbe and the results were the same... maybe try that... Is your bov new or used?
#7 Old 04-05-2005, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Wukillabee56 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Wukillabee56
I am still trying to get opinions of putting the RFL on a stock 05. I have heard different stories, but I already have the bov and want to put it on. Thanks for any advice.
#8 Old 04-05-2005, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wukillabee56
I am still trying to get opinions of putting the RFL on a stock 05. I have heard different stories, but I already have the bov and want to put it on. Thanks for any advice.
What kind of opinions? It will work fine.
#9 Old 04-05-2005, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
What kind of opinions? It will work fine.

I've heard I will loose performance with a bov on stock wrx
#10 Old 04-05-2005, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
No. You won't. As long as the BOV is properly functioning.
#11 Old 04-05-2005, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thumbs up

thanks cosmo
#12 Old 04-05-2005, 05:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

newbe02WRX is an unknown
I've had a chance to drive the car a few days now and everything seems ok. I tried no washers, 1 washer, but 2 seems to work the best. The AEM intake is not a cold air kit it's the short ram intake that sits right where the stock airbox was. Wi_WRX thats the same thing mine does. It does it the most when the turbo doesn't spool all the way up and i let off the gas. The blow off valve is new and it seems like its blowing off a little better the more i drive the car. Doesn't blowoff at all at 3,000rpm or less. Seems to be getting better between 4-5,000rpm althought it still doesn't blowoff all the time there. Being that its new does it have to be lubricated? If so what do you use to lubricate it? Could it also be b/c its new and the spring is just tight? Other than that like Cosmo says it is working fine. Thanks for the input guys.
L.J.
#13 Old 04-05-2005, 08:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

wi_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wi_wrx
I got mine new and it worked the way i described b4... I havent lubed mine yet but its time 4 an oil change in my car so ill do it then. I was told to lube it whenever you change your oil and just to rub a little oil on that plunger inside... ill try it soon and see what happens...
#14 Old 04-07-2005, 02:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
so.. i just installed my BOV... i bought it used... its funny ### even with all the BOV rumors, my car hasnt performed according to the myth... only thing is that i lost a little boost i believe.. ### the needle used to go like .095 now its about .09 or sometimes less.. i used one washer.. seemed to work out pretty well.. but once i used 2 i noticed some fluttering... i havent tried using 3, but i dunno if i want to, ### it seems as tho already using 2 delays the release of pressure a little... and BTW, how can u tell compressor surge?? when i first installed it i heard a really bad fluttering... the air didnt even let out and i heard fluttering... o yea also... im not sure if anyone else has this problem.. but sometimes when i let off the throttle, i dont get a loud blow off sound... rarely i hear a succinct whistle... like a sound that came out of a SSQV... anyone know the deal with that?? and also, ### type of oil/grease do u guys use to lubricate? i went to some dude at Auto Zone that looked at my BOV and said that it looked like some bearing axle grease... any ideas? suggestions/
#15 Old 04-07-2005, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
ok i answered my question with the lubrication thing.. i called a guy up at turboxs and they told me that the bov should not be lubricated... because the brass piston is sorta self lubricating against the aluminum or something like that... and i told him how i had lubrication on the bov when i bought it and the guy told me that i should clean it off or else there will be build up and the blow off valve will not function properly.... so then i cleaned it off and the piston actually moved much much more freely than it did with the lubrication it came with... i think the guy was right, ### when i took the grease off it moved as tho there was nothing hindering its movement... mayb the grease to begin with was bad ### it was like a really thick grease

Last edited by absolutexk; 04-07-2005 at 02:41 PM.