turbo wrap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

neubaru20 is an unknown
turbo wrap

just replaced my tmic to the sti tmic, when doing so i lost my aftermarket turbo cooler. heard something about blanketing your turbo, what should i do? any advice will help or a direction to a site to buy what i'll need. appreciate all input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2009, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful

Are you speaking of the turbo "heatshield" ?

You can still use it with a STi TMIC. Or buy an aftermarket one.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

norcalwrx916 is on thin ice
Send a message via AIM to norcalwrx916 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalwrx916
no i know what hes talking about its called a turbo heat blanket and is suppose reduce heat pretty good
#4 Old 09-09-2009, 03:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

midniteblack is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to midniteblack
wait, so you lost your heat shield or it won't fit anymore with the sti topmount? your options would be to buy a stock heatshield (cut to fit if you have an aftermarket d/p), an aftermarket heatshield (cobb, spt, etc) or a turbo blanket. i used a cut to fit turbo heat shield on mine since a stock heatshield won't fit over my turbo. the $37 kit Thermo-Tec Turbo Wrap Kit - JEGS
#5 Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Find a used one if possible and cut it. My stock unit fits over my 20G, and works with my TurboXS TMIC with no issue and is hard to tell its not stock.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I love how ppl post questions and don't respond to others.... Kinda missing the point of asking a question if you ask me.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 09-09-2009, 12:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

neubaru20 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
I love how ppl post questions and don't respond to others.... Kinda missing the point of asking a question if you ask me.
um i work 9 hours a day i don't spend 13 online so when i get the time i respond. to everyone else thanks for the input i tried to fit the heat shield i currently have, the sti top mount is to bulky for it...thanks for the direction midnite just ordered it.
#8 Old 09-09-2009, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubaru20 View Post
um i work 9 hours a day i don't spend 13 online so when i get the time i respond. to everyone else thanks for the input i tried to fit the heat shield i currently have, the sti top mount is to bulky for it...thanks for the direction midnite just ordered it.
Well, what I think is something I can't post on here. BUT.... what most ppl on here try to do is find out what the real problem is to begin with......... Meaning.... your TMIC is not installed correctly or you have a LARGE charger in there... That's why I was prodding.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

midniteblack is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to midniteblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by neubaru20 View Post
your stock shield should work fine with the sti top mount since all wrx and sti shields are the same. Maybe you have a bracket in the wrong position or something? Since you ordered the turbo wrap you can also use that under your stock heat shield for even better cooling.
#10 Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

neubaru20 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Well, what I think is something I can't post on here. BUT.... what most ppl on here try to do is find out what the real problem is to begin with......... Meaning.... your TMIC is not installed correctly or you have a LARGE charger in there... That's why I was prodding.
well my bad bro.....everything is done correctly, i had one of those aftermarket wind splitters that was directed to the turbo but since the sti tmic is bulkier than stock the actual splitter would just be cooling the exhaust mani. the stock heat shield is long gone, previous owner tossed it after buying that wind splitter. thats where my dilema is. i know the problem, and the fix really i was just looking for a direction to turn in as well as maybe some advice for what others have done. i apologize for not putting all direct info on like i said the only time i have to get online any more is at work on lunch break.
#11 Old 09-10-2009, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Makes total sense now. It's all good.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3