Turbo whine + valves ticking? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-14-2008, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TwinTurbs is an unknown
Turbo whine + valves ticking?

Hey everyone.

After fixing my boost fluctuation by adjusting the wastgate arm 1/2 turn. THe car has taken on some new noises...

First noise seems to be only when accelerating. My guess its a funky turbo noise, because aside from the tranny whining, the turbo lets out a high pitch whine at -.03 mpa on teh gauge. halfway between -.5 and 0. Any educated gueses as to why i hear this?
(NOTE: factory airbox+ K&N panel filter recently RE-installed after taking of SRI. and, wastegate arm has been turned UP 1/2 turn to resolve my boost fluctuations THAT ARE STARTING TO COME BACK .)

Second noise. ticking that is driving me crazy. Friends dad says its bad valves. the ticking is in sync with the exhaust, so im guessing its internal engine crap. Im sick of hearing the ticking when reving, or starting up. I JUST WANNA HEAR THE RUMBLE!

those who can help me I thank you in advance.

EDIT: sorry i should have posted this in Problem Diagnosis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-14-2008, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbs View Post
Hey everyone.

After fixing my boost fluctuation by adjusting the wastgate arm 1/2 turn. THe car has taken on some new noises...

First noise seems to be only when accelerating. My guess its a funky turbo noise, because aside from the tranny whining, the turbo lets out a high pitch whine at -.03 mpa on teh gauge. halfway between -.5 and 0. Any educated gueses as to why i hear this?
(NOTE: factory airbox+ K&N panel filter recently RE-installed after taking of SRI. and, wastegate arm has been turned UP 1/2 turn to resolve my boost fluctuations THAT ARE STARTING TO COME BACK .)

Second noise. ticking that is driving me crazy. Friends dad says its bad valves. the ticking is in sync with the exhaust, so im guessing its internal engine crap. Im sick of hearing the ticking when reving, or starting up. I JUST WANNA HEAR THE RUMBLE!

those who can help me I thank you in advance.

EDIT: sorry i should have posted this in Problem Diagnosis

the boxer likes to"tick" its the lifters but its pratically noraml mine started doin it at 800 miles and its basically just a scooby feature
post #3 of 5 Old 03-14-2008, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well that or it could be an exhaust leak, these things happen. The whine you hear is probably a the turbo spooling up and the exhaust leak amplifies that sound if it is after the turbo. See if there is a leak around your Downpipe maybe.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #4 of 5 Old 03-15-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TwinTurbs is an unknown
alright will do. I still have not ordered that DP and cable yet put i plan to in a couple days.

What are some sure signs ive got a leak?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-16-2008, 01:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

mr04wrx is more helpful than not
Black carbon build up where the leak is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement