Subaru WRX Forum banner

Turbo upgrade time again..

5K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  christommy 
#1 ·
So im doing some research on different types of upgrades i want to go with... money IS an issue as far as how much i want to spend, and i do NOT want to have to break down my motor for any reason. although my transmission will probably need some work. but that was expected months and months and months ago.

The ATP Garrett GT2871R has caught my eye. Ill be able to pull a bit more power than what i am now, but with little or no more lag than what ive already got. The question is... would i need to upgrade injectors again? right now (if i remember) 650cc RC engineering injectors is what i have. Anyone on here have this turbo charger or know of what else i might have to modify before going head first into this? Or will my current fuel lines and injectors be enough?

#2 ·
that's a pretty big turbo. There would be no point in running that with 650cc injectors. I would argue that there's no point in running it with your motor anyway. I'd go with a TD05 based turbo if I were you which your 650cc injectors should suffice for. It's a much more balanced choice for your 2.0L

Hell, even with my EJ257, my next turbo will likely be a TD05 based one.

#5 ·
im upgrading from a t518z.
I don't know how "big" or how much hp that turbo give you, but if it's not as powerfull as a 16g or an 18g, i'd recommend going with either of those. The 16g's (EVO III) can get high 200hp's, and the 18g's can get you over 300. If you're not satisfied with a 300whp 18g WRX....... You're insane. :)

#14 ·
I honestly don't see how this could happen, I guess I will find out when I actually get boost. :) I've had my Jetta for like 4-5 months now, and trust me, i step on it a lot. And I don't feel it feeling slower at all. Maybe just a tad, sure I want more power, but I guess i'm just immune to this extreme want for more power. I just set a goal in power, and when I finally reach it, then i'm done.

It would be nice to get a VF Engenering Stage 3 superchager and pull 300whp out of my Jetta..... :D But the way i hold myself down is, be realistic....

#15 ·
Also....Gold rims weren't available on all of the models. Plus the big wing is easily fixable. But, I actually like it. Especially with the carbon fiber defuser above it.

#24 ·
its not only that. People price gouge on those around here. there is ONE single 04 STi sitting on the west side of town. 54k miles. for 26k. which is stupid considering i see them all the time with that many miles all over for 14 - 18k. id much rather keep my bugeye. : /

#20 ·
soo the 2003 wrx comes with a td04 turbo? because i was planning to upgrade with the td05 turbo. they said you dont need no modifications its perfect fit and all bolt on.
You will need bigger injector and engine management at the least.And your car comes with a type of TD04.TD04 is the turbo family.Stock turbo is a TD04L-13T.And asking how much hp this will make is a moot point when there are so many variables involved.You haven't even named the turbo you plan on using,just the turbo family.

#26 ·
Well... i dont know guys. Im probably just going to do a lot more research on it before i decide. I might even just go ahead and replace my STi coilovers with aftermarkets. and think about it from there.

i might just save up and get a ej257 block or something and do it that way to get a bit more power.

#27 ·
down in miami we get sti's on the road for about 10-12 grand through auction, my first wrx was only 6500 on the road with 43k miles..sure titles may be messed up but hey..we dont buy em if we cant fix them back properly...and sure we mite be using "hot parts" but who cares lol..when insurance gave me back 14000 after i totaled the first one i made quite a bit of money and i was sure to go sti..but i didnt have the time to wait without a car so i ended up buying another bugeye but im happy still:)

#28 ·
Banged up and Repair titles is a different story. But, lord...17k for a STI. Better be loaded down with miles. A 05 out here with 68k miles was priced reduced twice and it was still selling for 19,5XX. Considered it, before I got my 06. But it looked like it was heavily mod'ed then returned to stock and the ride was bouncy as all hell. Granted a STI has a stiffer suspension. It didn't look lowered, but it bounced hard like it was riding on chopped springs. Which may me say no way....I'll keep looking.

#32 ·
My suspension is bouncy...but this thing was at least twice as bouncy as my 06. I severely doubt the suspension was that much stiffer than my year. Didn't ask or look to see if it had aftermarket springs or coil-overs. Because it rode so rough that i didn't care at that point. I wasn't going to deal with it.

#34 ·
I have H-tech Tien springs on my STi and it's even more bouncy than the stock STi. It's hella bouncy. I mean, you get on a bumpy freeway, you can barely keep the wheel straight and your passengers start to go green. I don't think a bumpy ride on an STi implies cut springs or mechanical failure at all, it's just the nature of the beast.

It's one of the reasons so much praise is being thrown at the 09 WRX's suspension. It's better but still not so "all out" as to be annoying on certain road conditions like even the stock STi. The STi's suspension is very aggressive for an OEM car, ppl drastically underestimate this.

#36 ·
I was just saying it was so bouncy it felt like cut springs. My experience in a friend's stealth with cut springs was just as bad. He bought it used that way. The seller even told him they were cut.

Any rate, I bounce all over the place on most PA roads and bridges on my stock sti springs. Those seams in the bridges are always a bounce waiting to happen. In short, I didn't want the car because I didn't want to deal with replacing them back to stock or whatever happened to them. Nevermind the fact it looked like everything was replaced back to stock beyond the full 3" catback. Nice exhaust note....but the rest made it seem shady in my book.

Like it's been said multiple times in here. Don't deal with other people's problems and find it as stock as possible. The 06 i found seemed unmolested by mods. Thus, I was more willing to buy it.

#39 ·
It's about as big as you can actually spool. It's going to be horribly laggy on the EJ205. It is probably the best turbo choice for a 2.0L dyno queen but that's not going to be much fun to drive on the roads. You'll probably have slower quarter mile times too due to waiting for spool in between shifts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.